Helpful food hints, things you've learned.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Cafe Nero do a small packet of nuts. I save the cashews for another time.

I need to eat less than I think I do when hungry.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cafe Nero do a small packet of nuts. I save the cashews for another time.

I need to eat less than I think I do when hungry.
Yes I’ve discovered that. I’ve defected to Nero’s from Costa. Pret A Manger have good low carb choices for lunch and excellent nutritional info on their website and shelf edge labels.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
When you have time for a treat in the morning, I will always have a fry up, which includes either roast gammon or bacon, with fried egg in either goose or duck fat, mushrooms and onions sliced with tomato, (tinned or fresh) fried in a little fat (as above) wok style, till there soft and smother over gammon and egg.
The different flavours when fried are fabulous.
Don't forget to season, the salt will be needed when starting low carb.
I often have a slice of black pudding alongside.

Pure heaven!

The best tip I can suggest is to cook from fresh (everything, except the salad of course) stay away from anything that is factory produced.
Avoid low fat foods, if you like dairy, full fat is recommended.
Eat to your meter, where have I heard that before?

Another tip if you are traveling, ask the head waiter in hotels or restaurants to see the chef, I have found that you will not have any trouble with what you fancy that has good restaurant facilities especially for breakfast. Ask you will not be disappointed with what they will cook for you.or how they cook it!
Research the hotels to see how they cook meals. There is nothing worse than staying in a hotel that won't or has not got facilities for cooking fresh food.
Avoid fast food outlets on the motorway network!
Especially if you are driving.
Always carry food and water if travelling a long distance, the way that the weather is and the constant roadworks, trying to get around this country is becoming increasingly difficult.
If you need glucose tablets, always carry more than you need, water bottles are a good idea.

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
The importance of being able to put a picnic lunch together quickly, which meals I can eat at Wetherspoons and which local restaurants I can recommend.

slinkimalinki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Me too. I don’t eat pork much but I’m sure minced turkey, chicken or beef would work well.
I do minced chicken mini meatballs, flavoured with a tiny bit of finely chopped onion or leek, a tiny bit of red capsicum for colour and a good grating of fresh ginger plus salt and pepper. Add an egg, mix it all up and roll into meatballs. Fry in olive oil. Yummo

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I do minced chicken mini meatballs, flavoured with a tiny bit of finely chopped onion or leek, a tiny bit of red capsicum for colour and a good grating of fresh ginger plus salt and pepper. Add an egg, mix it all up and roll into meatballs. Fry in olive oil. Yummo
Ha! I do turkey meatballs, no egg, just turkey, garlic, sage oregano and rosemary. I use a cookie scoop to form and bake 17 min. Love them. I do add a bit of olive oil if doing all white meat or they tend to get a bit dry.

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What i learned, first is those rice in sushi can spike your sugar sky high. Second potato is a big no no.Third is fast food is bad, all fast food spike me even subway is not health.

You can still find food you can eat when you are eating out or getting fast food - actually right now my mum is out getting some takeaway for our dinner! I'm having chicken skewers and salad! Just avoid things like chips and burgers and bread and you should be right. Most places do have some zero carb options - salads (if you want something more filling add nuts or meat or cheese. I often go for a nice Caesar salad when I'm eating out), meat, seafood, vegetables (I get veggies with soy sauce from the local Thai place - it doesn't have carbs and adds a bit of flavour).

darenu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have found that cooking method and portion control work with some foods like potatoes. I do triple cooked chips and par boil roasters first. Probably a third of what I would have considered a portion doesn’t spike my BG too bad.

Reactions: Arlmy

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If it has more than 5 ingredient some of them are probably bad for you !!
CAROL

Reactions: darenu

Orangeteddy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Something I've learned - and especially as a newly diagnosed prediabetic - don't give in to those around you who are all saying things like - 'oh go on - just have a bit of ...... - or well it's only one night.... or it's Christmas.... or etc.... etc... etc...

Last night I gave in to 3 slices of pizza, 2 breaded onion rings and 3 breaded chicken nuggets.

My reading 2 hours later was 8.8

It's still a big learning curve but I knew that those food items would be bad - yet I gave in to those around me - and not wanting to be the party pooper. Also, as the guest I felt I could not exactly ask for a plate of broccoli!

I have not at this stage told people about my prediabetes - again not wanting to be the party pooper - it was not the right time.

But I felt I learned something - either don't go to parties or stuff yourself with the right food before you do.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
If it has more than 5 ingredient some of them are probably bad for you !!
CAROL
love it except if we're talking about garlic, onions and some herbs

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Something I've learned - and especially as a newly diagnosed prediabetic - don't give in to those around you who are all saying things like - 'oh go on - just have a bit of ...... - or well it's only one night.... or it's Christmas.... or etc.... etc... etc...

Last night I gave in to 3 slices of pizza, 2 breaded onion rings and 3 breaded chicken nuggets.

My reading 2 hours later was 8.8

It's still a big learning curve but I knew that those food items would be bad - yet I gave in to those around me - and not wanting to be the party pooper. Also, as the guest I felt I could not exactly ask for a plate of broccoli!

I have not at this stage told people about my prediabetes - again not wanting to be the party pooper - it was not the right time.

But I felt I learned something - either don't go to parties or stuff yourself with the right food before you do.
Naughty but well done now. I've done similar but you only do it once and we both know we'll try much harder not to let that happen again. Breaded, breaded, time to hide in beddy or say "not at the moment". Haha, it's not easy but we can do it

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My top tip would be to never assume that you've lost your sweet tooth. I find even if I've resisted anything sweet for a month and convince myself I no longer crave carbs / sweet stuff, all it takes is one mouthful and the cravings are back to square one. So probably best to just not do it. I can't take-it-or-leave it. I need to just leave it!

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also learned, very early on, that Chinese Five Spice is not the same as Mixed Spice, and it pays to read the label before you sprinkle stuff on your food.

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Reheated potato, especially mashed never spikes me.
Protein bread toasted are great crackers and great toasties. I cut the top off every slice to bring carb content down so I can have 2 slices to fulfill less than 10g carb er 100g guide.
I inject 15mins before eating when I want to grab carbs and too much protein from rising me.

My favourite is I discovered what I call liver blocks = a fatty protein before sleep stops my liver dumping through the night or in times of fasting (longer than 3-4hrs). I can half my hba1c if I live by my liver block routine. Its intense but I'd love to make it a way of eating for life for me. A very very positive effect on my bgs. Far less insulin needed too.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Reheated potato, especially mashed never spikes me.
Protein bread toasted are great crackers and great toasties. I cut the top off every slice to bring carb content down so I can have 2 slices to fulfill less than 10g carb er 100g guide.
I inject 15mins before eating when I want to grab carbs and too much protein from rising me.

My favourite is I discovered what I call liver blocks = a fatty protein before sleep stops my liver dumping through the night or in times of fasting (longer than 3-4hrs). I can half my hba1c if I live by my liver block routine. Its intense but I'd love to make it a way of eating for life for me. A very very positive effect on my bgs. Far less insulin needed too.
Wooo, sounds interesting. Can you give us some examples of the sort of fatty protein you eat please?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Wooo, sounds interesting. Can you give us some examples of the sort of fatty protein you eat please?
Cheese or bacon or nuts. A nibble enough to con the liver.