How to stop weight loss?

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, how do I stop losing weight?? I am devastated to see myself in the mirror this morning when getting out of bed! Nothing but skin and bones... Since 1st November ( fist diagnosed - 8.7 stone) till now I have lost 18 pounds. I was 7.10 stone 2 weeks ago and now my weight has gone down even further to 7.1 stone. I am wasting away!!

What do I do to stop this?? Shall I wait to see DN in 2 weeks or shall I ask to see a GP?? All I do is to cut carbs out of my used to be carbs heavy diet.. Please help me!!

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @Red_river_
I don't know anything about you from any previous posts -- I have just read this topic and i would urge you to see your GP -- 20 lbs weight loss in a span of circa 8 weeks is not a result any of us would want to see to somebody that is not overweight.

Please seek some medical advice -- are you testing your BG levels ??
if not -- get a meter and test until you see your GP -- possibly you could be type 1 ( don't know but is possible )

sending hugs !!!
xxxxx

Reactions: Prem51

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I would most definitely insist on a GAD and x peptide test. On eof the most obvious signs of LADA is sudden severe weight loss. I was in your shoes. 5’8 and 94#’s before finally diagnosed. It hurt to sit , lay in bed etc. I was so weak and freezing.
Many docs don’t like doing these tests. Insist.

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Red_river_
I don't know anything about you from any previous posts -- I have just read this topic and i would urge you to see your GP -- 20 lbs weight loss in a span of circa 8 weeks is not a result any of us would want to see to somebody that is not overweight.

if not -- get a meter and test until you see your GP -- possibly you could be type 1 ( don't know but is possible )

sending hugs !!!
xxxxx
J
Hi @Red_river_

sending hugs !!!
xxxxx
Thank you for replying to me. I will try to book an appointment with GP first thing in the morning. I don't test as I have this fear of needle and also I thought I would wait till having the second test after the first 3 months with DN. I know most members here test themselves... but my fear of needle uses the excuse that DN gave me which is no need to test I can become obsessed... So I thought I would wait and see if my diet works.. Right now I feel that I can't care less about my bg (6.6 fasting), but I am a lot more worried about my weight.. Please whatever let it NOT be type 1 ....

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hiya red river !!
without sounding panicky -- I would be worried about a 20 lb weight loss --
only you can know if you have other symptomatic signs of D ( thirstyness , weeing constantly , tired , irritable )
go stand at the GP door tomoerrow morning at opening time --

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would most definitely insist on a GAD and x peptide test. On eof the most obvious signs of LADA is sudden severe weight loss. I was in your shoes. 5’8 and 94#’s before finally diagnosed. It hurt to sit , lay in bed etc. I was so weak and freezing.
Many docs don’t like doing these tests. Insist.
Thank you for replying to me. Now I will have to look up what is GAD and LADA as I am still new here and know little about diabetes. My weight loss started only since I started low carbs diet, before that I was fine with a healthy weight. Did you suffer from the weight loss before being diagnosed? I do feel weak and right now suffering from a bad cold with proper headache and running nose..

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hiya lovely -- see below
and for your info ( to answer your query to me ) -- Yes I suffered a pretty big weight loss over a 2-3 month period prior to my type 1 diagnosis at age 14.

A GAD test is a blood test which measures whether the body is producing a type of antibody which destroys its own GAD cells. In type 1 diabetes, a number of autoantibodies are thought to circulate including those which target glutamic acid decarboxylase. Presence of these autoantibodies suggests type 1 diabetes.

Latent autoimmune diabetes of adults (LADA) is a form of diabetes mellitus type 1 that occurs in adulthood, often with a slower course of onset than type 1 diabetes diagnosed in juveniles.

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya red river !!
without sounding panicky -- I would be worried about a 20 lb weight loss --
only you can know if you have other symptomatic signs of D ( thirstyness , weeing constantly , tired , irritable )
go stand at the GP door tomoerrow morning at opening time --
I was diagnosed only because I asked to have a diabetes test. I was having a blood test after a course of iron supplements as I was then anemic. I suspected I might have diabetes because my mum and most people on that side of family have it. Also the fact that my second child was 9.1 pounds when born, so I could tick more than one box on the on line self test. I don't think I have any other symptoms of being diabetic, maybe the fact that I need to wee more often, but not too bad and I don't have to get up during the night even now. I do drink more in the evening as I always realised I don't drink enough during the day so try to make up for it in the evening. Since being diagnosed I almost cut out carbs totally and skip meals too for not knowing what to eat, and feeling scared of eating.. I never eat a lot, but my meals used to based on carbs. I don't snack. Could just cutting carbs or not eating enough is the cause of this weight loss?? I will try to see a GP tomorrow as you advice. Thank you.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
perhaps add up the total calories you are eating per day ( not just the carbs -- or lack of )
if the total is less than 800 - 1000 than indeed you could be starving yourself without realising it

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
perhaps add up the total calories you are eating per day ( not just the carbs -- or lack of )
if the total is less than 800 - 1000 than indeed you could be starving yourself without realising it
Oh I hope that's the case, not because of any underlying illness I might be having, as I only count carbs not calories. I almost became vegetarian and even cut down on root vegetables.. I have a much smaller potion now too. I just wonder a lot of members here eat so little and even no breakfast and seem not having the same problem as I do.

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hiya lovely -- see below
and for your info ( to answer your query to me ) -- Yes I suffered a pretty big weight loss over a 2-3 month period prior to my type 1 diagnosis at age 14.

A GAD test is a blood test which measures whether the body is producing a type of antibody which destroys its own GAD cells. In type 1 diabetes, a number of autoantibodies are thought to circulate including those which target glutamic acid decarboxylase. Presence of these autoantibodies suggests type 1 diabetes.

Latent autoimmune diabetes of adults (LADA) is a form of diabetes mellitus type 1 that occurs in adulthood, often with a slower course of onset than type 1 diabetes diagnosed in juveniles.
Thank you so much you are most helpful. I will make this my bedtime reading now and try my best to understand it.. Must be so hard for you being diagnosed at only 14! Now I am feeling guilty about crying over my weight issue... It's nothing compared to you being diagnosed at that tender age.. Good night..

Caz_B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am type 2 and when i was first diagnosed i lost quite a bit if weight due to cutting out carbs. I wasn't overweight to start. I lost a stone or so and then more. At 5' 9" i became concerned and didn't want to lose any more weight as started to see my bones. I had cut carbs and was living on salad and mostly low calorie foods. I then added more cream, eggs, bacon ie fat to my diet and put on a bit if weight. Perhaps you need to eat some high fat food which will contain more calories. Did the trick for me. X

Reactions: Prem51 and ziggy_w

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If you google GAD, you have to include the word Diabetes or glutamic acid or it give something about depression.

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Red_river_ sorry to read of the weight problem you've been going through. Reducing carbs was a good idea, though not supported by many GPs, so perhaps expect your own GP to advise against it when you see him/her, and they may simply try to blame weight loss on the low carb rather than anything else. Please insist that you get tested for other things, coz it could be a number of issues that may be causing the weight loss.

On the other hand, when anybody reduces their carb intake suddenly, those calories would normally need to be replaced by increased fat to help provide proper nutrients for the body and to keep us feeling fuller for longer, alongside greens and vegetables. Did you increase your healthy fats when you went low carb? We've been told for many years that fat is bad for us, with the result that many people have grown up with a fear of fats, and find it hard to put aside that fear. There's no need to gorge on fats - just enough to ensure you have sufficient for your body's individual needs.

Hope things work out well for you. Keep posting here; plenty of people to help you with any queries or issues you might have.

Bertyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Have you first ascertained whether you need to reduce your carbohydrate intake significantly? What was your Hb1ac when you were initially diagnosed with type 2 diabetes? You mentioned the low birthweight of your second child - had you been diagnosed with gestational diabetes at the time and if so, how was your GP treating it?

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hiya lovely -- see below

Just updating from last night : I saw a GP this morning and she has arranged for me to have a MOT ( or is it MOD) test next week, she said it is a fancy test about everything including liver, kidney...etc... She meantioned antibodies and such, things that I don't really understand. Anyway, I am glad you advised me to see a doctor and I am glad I will have that blood test to see what is wrong. She also said if I keep losing weight, she would arrange for me to see a dietitian which would be great! She seems to know more about diabetes than the DN that I see. Thank you again for being kind and helpful. X

Reactions: Prem51 and himtoo

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you first ascertained whether you need to reduce your carbohydrate intake significantly? What was your Hb1ac when you were initially diagnosed with type 2 diabetes? You mentioned the low birthweight of your second child - had you been diagnosed with gestational diabetes at the time and if so, how was your GP treating it?
My HB 1 ac was 6.6 fasting, actually I am not too sure it was HB 1ac or was it BG as I was diagnosed 2 months ago with this reading. Although DN and GP advised to have brown instead of white and cut down a little on carbs, but I of course was too scared so I almost cut carbs down totally, next to none. I think you miss- read me about the birth of my second child, he was born very heavy at 9.1 pounds. I was healthy through out my pregnancy.

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Red_river_ sorry to read of the weight problem you've been going through. Reducing carbs was a good idea, though not supported by many GPs, so perhaps expect your own GP to advise against it when you see him/her, and they may simply try to blame weight loss on the low carb rather than anything else. Please insist that you get tested for other things, coz it could be a number of issues that may be causing the weight loss.

On the other hand, when anybody reduces their carb intake suddenly, those calories would normally need to be replaced by increased fat to help provide proper nutrients for the body and to keep us feeling fuller for longer, alongside greens and vegetables. Did you increase your healthy fats when you went low carb? We've been told for many years that fat is bad for us, with the result that many people have grown up with a fear of fats, and find it hard to put aside that fear. There's no need to gorge on fats - just enough to ensure you have sufficient for your body's individual needs.

Hope things work out well for you. Keep posting here; plenty of people to help you with any queries or issues you might have.
Thank you Salvia for replying to me. I will have a MOT (or MOD) blood test next week to check all and everything. I was luckily seen by a GP this morning and she was very good, she wanted me to have that test as she said that I might even not have type 2, that there is a grey area between type 1 and 2. And if my weight keeps going down, she will arrange for me to see a dietitian, too. So I feel a bit better now thing has been taken cared of. I won't know until end of January because this test will take a few weeks to get result. At the mean time, I will follow the advices lovely people like you here give me, which is eat more healthy fat. I had been too busy counting carbs and being worried I didn't think about calories and protein. Still, that doesn't explain such a huge loss in weight. Anyway, thank you all for your support! Xx

Reactions: Prem51 and Salvia

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just updating from last night : I saw a GP this morning and she has arranged for me to have a MOT ( or is it MOD) test next week, she said it is a fancy test about everything including liver, kidney...etc... She meantioned antibodies and such, things that I don't really understand. Anyway, I am glad you advised me to see a doctor and I am glad I will have that blood test to see what is wrong. She also said if I keep losing weight, she would arrange for me to see a dietitian which would be great! She seems to know more about diabetes than the DN that I see. Thank you again for being kind and helpful. X

Just caught up with your update, Red_river_; it appears you have a 'switched-on' GP there, knows their stuff and willing to listen and discuss; not many of them about - definitely a 'keeper' ! :)

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If you feel sick go to A&E as there is a risk of Diabetic Ketoacidosis (DKA), read up on the symptoms on line so you know what to look out for. (I say A&E as they have the machine to do the blood gas test, that GPs don’t have access do. Tell the person on reception you think you may have DKA.)

Also get yourself a BG meter as quickly as you can, so you can test your own BG if you feel sick etc (there is no real risk of DKA unless your BG is over 20 for some time, or over 30, assuming you are not taking any SGLT2 Inhibitors).