Lucozade petition

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When you consider the damage alcohol abuse does It would be worth thinking about.
But where would you draw the line? The same can be said for almost anything that is done in excess...

I can almost appreciate you're angle John, but really?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If people have never had a 'freefall hypo', I don't think they can really appreciate the value of Lucozade and similar glucose drinks. It's not just a matter of taste or personal choice. Sometimes you really need the very fast hit of glucose.

Having to drink double the quantity to get the same amount of glucose isn't an option always as it's the concentrated liquid hit that's needed.

I don't really see the Sugar Tax as so much a nanny state thing as a simplistic response to a complex problem. It might sound great, but in practice, I dnt believe it will work. Years ago, there were hardly any diet soft drinks. They all had sugar. Yet people weren't as overweight then. The problems of obesity and poor diet are far more related to things like poverty, availability of fresh foods, education, cooking skills and activity levels.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
But where would you draw the line? The same can be said for almost anything that is done in excess...

I can almost appreciate you're angle John, but really?

My son was run down and injured by a driver who was too drunk to stand when he got out of his car to check if he had killed my lad or not so yes really.

The abuse of alcohol costs the NHS a huge amount of money.

Look how they have cracked down on smoking in the past few years why should sugar or alcohol be sacrosanct.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I believe Phillip Hammond made an initial financial projection of £1bn generated from sugar tax come 2022...

The projection has since fallen short given that so many drinks manufacturers have altered their recipes to save them some money.

As much as I love the government not being able to generate revenue through pointless schemes, it unfortunately comes at the expense of those of us who need quick acting glucose in reasonably concentrated amounts as @azure mentioned.

Last edited:

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My son was run down and injured by a driver who was too drunk to stand when he got out of his car to check if he had killed my lad or not so yes really.

The abuse of alcohol costs the NHS a huge amount of money.

Look how they have cracked down on smoking in the past few years why should sugar or alcohol be sacrosanct.
I'm sorry to hear that @JohnEGreen, I do hope that he made a quick and full recovery. That is awful.

Education, support groups and other sorts of facilities could be put in place to prevent/deal with those who have a drinking issue, for example. There will always be those who take things too far and ruin it for the rest of us - it's human nature and one of our greatest flaws; again greed being at the core.

Anyway, apologies for derailing the main focus of the thread.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Years ago, there were hardly any diet soft drinks.

Definitely not, we are spoilt for choice with diet drinks now.

When I was diagnosed there was 1 Cal & Tab, both didn't taste great :rolleyes:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Anyway, apologies for derailing the main focus of the thread.
No apologies needed and yes you are right we should not stray from the point of the thread which is the petition for Lucozade to be exempted from the sugar tax or I should say for the company to bring back the old recipe . I won't be signing it because I think there are plenty of alternatives.

AshK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I found a much better and cheaper alternative to Lucozade. SPAR do their own version of it called SPAR Glucose drink and it has the same 16.5g carb per 100ml so very similar to the old Lucozade.

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think the nanny state should have borrowed from tobacco rebranding. I've seen plenty of people who don't appear sporty or diabetic chugging down 'sport' drinks. Possibly on the assumption that they're healthy, or just for the sugar rush. Food labelling could be changed so the traffic light scheme took up more of the packaging rather than the nutritional information being buried in the small print. Then advertising standards could be changed so high sugar drinks carry a health warning.

Reactions: rayhigginson

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
We must remember that it was the 'nanny state' that regulated for smokeless fuels, seat belts, tobacco tax hikes, food and water safety etc etc. It is usually unpopular at first but it is usually for the greater good.

As for Lucozade being popular only with those who use it for hypo treatment, it is very popular among the youngsters now and is even sold in some pubs.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
s-l1600.jpg
Is available on repeat prescription as far as it goes, and Dextro energy tabs are the same as before, although I did hear the Lucozade tabs were having their glucose reduced.

Proto

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think the issue here is that in the past as a Type 1 if you were having a hypo and for whatever reason didnt have a hypo treatment with you (such as Glucogel, Dextrose tablets etc) Lucozade was a good go to option that we can get from almost any shop. Even when you did have hypo treatments Lucozade was a good option. Most of us know exactly how much we need and it was always a good fallback option we could depend on no matter where we are or what we're doing. Also it didnt look out of the ordinary treating a hypo with lucozade.

Yes we carry hypo treatments but life happens and we can get caught out. Now we can always use something else (my default now is a some Coca-Cola or Haribos, maybe a carton of apple juice). But for me Lucozade was always great for getting me out of a hypo quickly other things always took longer (only by about 5 minutes but still).

Unfortunatly now we have to find another solution (of which there are several) its just annoying when you have something that works so well and now its going to change. Especially when you've used it since diagnosis. Also I would not have known the formula was changing if it wasnt for this thread so that could have caught me out ( I know its my responsibility to check the label its just Lucozade has been such a constant I wouldn't have thought it would change).

I see that quite a few T2s (and T1s as well) dont see this as a problem but that just shows how different Type 1 and Type 2 are in treatments.

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think it's 2 problems. So Lucozade was originally Glucozade and marketed more as a health tonic. 500ml had 62g sugar, so handy for a quick glucose hit. Then rebranded as a sports drink, and still handy for a glucose hit. Unless of course your body doesn't really need it. Then it's just like other soft drinks, energy drinks like Red Bull or alcopops where the high sugar content can lead to obesity.

T'other problem is the reformulation, so new Glucozade is 22.5g per 500ml, and that isn't as useful for hypos, and doesn't seem to have been communicated widely enough. And also means Lucozade won't be as useful as a sports drink for anyone who really does need that quick glucose boost. And the issue's going to be industry wide as manufacturers reformulate to avoid the sugar tax. So that means finding hypo-fixes now, rather than trying to read the small print on bottles, cans or cartons whilst losing consciousness, as Proto points out.

DobbieTheElf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diabetics take many forms ( including type 1's having a severe hypo ) -- the changes do nothing to assist us and a once very reliable form of treatment for us has sadly given way to the PC diet brigade.

It's been alright for me in regards to lucozade, just it's not very practical to have to drink a whole bottle for every hypo you have. Even so, I still use it to great affect

lmc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use glucojuice now. More expensive but small and easy to carry about. Lucozade was an easy option to take as you could buy just about everywhere. I got caught out when they changed sugar amounts and had 2 hypos same morning close together as I did not know it had been changed. You would think diabetic clinics would know about this and tell you or that Lucozade would announce what it was doing. Why don't they make a special version just for diabetics or for people with hypoglycemia and put Diabetes version on the bottle.

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Very true mate.

The sugar cane crushing season has just started here in the Bundaberg regions three sugar mills / refineries.

The growers and workers are concerned this pc **** will roll over here, as that Jammy Oliver fool is shouting his mouth off in adverts against sugar here on tv.
why do people have to be so rude on the internet perhaps its because its anonymous The Government did not introduce to be pc and I am sure the Sugar Lobby spent millions trying to lobby against change.
Maybe amongst the many considerations they took into account was the rapidly increasing number of diabetics in the U.K. one of the major reasons for this is the overconsumption of sugar which is in loads of things we the general public unlike us don't know about. Yes Jamie Oliver speaks up about the amount of sugar we are eating but I doubt he was responsible for the govts decision on his own. I suspect medical and Public Opinion as for sugar workers jobs its not the whole world reducing sugar YET mores the pity