What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

Got myself to the gym today, despite the pouring rain.

Breakfast - none
Lunch - out with former colleagues. Went for rotisserie chicken with salad and mayonnaise. BG down 0.2mmols after 2 hours so all good.
Dinner - 2 egg omelette with broccoli, courgette and onion. Chocolate chia pudding with cream.

Last edited:

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Friday ...

Breakfast: Two double espressos with cream and xylitol.

Lunch: A low-carb roll with avocado, cheese and mayonnaise. Some chocolate mousse with whipped cream.

Dinner: Duck breast with a bit of low-carb honey, sweet-and-sour red cabbage, a zucchini-onion-potato-fiber fritter. Another low-carb chocolate mousse and a bit of whipped cream.

Was still hungry later in the evening, so had a low-carb roll with butter and beef salami.

Vhm1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
About 2.5 hours after waking I had a 2 egg omelette with mushrooms and cheese.

Supper I had duck confit with some Brussels sprouts.

Post-supper 2 squares Lindt 90 percent and some dry red wine.

Coffee, water and 1 caffeine free Diet Coke throughout the day.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Fasting day today, so no breakfast or lunch.

Dinner was 4 roast chicken wings with cauliflower cheese, followed by a slice of the chocolate olive oil cake I posted about a couple of days ago https://www.nigella.com/recipes/chocolate-olive-oil-cake (substituted Erythritol for the sugar) with double cream.

I wanted to make a smaller cake and found a great website that helped me to convert the recipe for a smaller tin:

http://www.cakebaker.co.uk/baking-tin-size-conversion-calculator.html

Turned out just fine, @maglil55 @ziggy_w and @heh , although I might add a bit more cocoa powder. The 1:1 ratio of Erythritol for sugar was good for me. In the process of making it I learned that the whisk on my hand held blender is much too powerful for the size of mixing bowl I have = cue chocolate mixture all over the kitchen. Think your little ones would have been proud of the mess @maglil55

3098165C-ECBD-4AC9-97E5-A8D34D795CBB.jpeg

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Water & paracetamol cos still feeling ******
Milky coffee
B: 2 crumpets
L: Various cheeses & a couple of crackers
T: M&S southern fried chicken & a few fries, coconut prawns & salt & pepper squid
Tea throughout the day, 2 G&Ts & currently drinking a snowball :D

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all. Fasting day today, so no breakfast or lunch.

Dinner was 4 roast chicken wings with cauliflower cheese, followed by a slice of the chocolate olive oil cake I posted about a couple of days ago https://www.nigella.com/recipes/chocolate-olive-oil-cake (substituted Erythritol for the sugar) with double cream.

I wanted to make a smaller cake and found a great website that helped me to convert the recipe for a smaller tin:

http://www.cakebaker.co.uk/baking-tin-size-conversion-calculator.html

Turned out just fine, @maglil55 @ziggy_w and @heh , although I might add a bit more cocoa powder. The 1:1 ratio of Erythritol for sugar was good for me. In the process of making it I learned that the whisk on my hand held blender is much too powerful for the size of mixing bowl I have = cue chocolate mixture all over the kitchen. Think your little ones would have been proud of the mess @maglil55

View attachment 24831
Looks good though. I can gloat thanks to my lovely new Kenwood Chef hubby bought me for my birthday. I love the guard on the bowl because like you I ended up in a mess with the hand blender.
I still have a pretty bad black eye though from my incident with the cake tin.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Water & paracetamol cos still feeling ******
Milky coffee
B: 2 crumpets
L: Various cheeses & a couple of crackers
T: M&S southern fried chicken & a few fries, coconut prawns & salt & pepper squid
Tea throughout the day, 2 G&Ts & currently drinking a snowball :D
Loving some of your 'cure' combinations

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 7.1 FBG 6.5 - need to stop the large Bailey's but not yet!
B. Hovis lower carb seeded with lurpack and pate pate the fruity one. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. Nothing
D. Oomi noodle carbonara with mushrooms and some of last night's ham in it. Also had a campari and soda and a wee prosecco and a very large Bailey's. Hubby says I am developing alcoholic tendencies. I'll go back to very little alcohol post new year.

Reactions: heh and Goonergal

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looks good though. I can gloat thanks to my lovely new Kenwood Chef hubby bought me for my birthday. I love the guard on the bowl because like you I ended up in a mess with the hand blender.
I still have a pretty bad black eye though from my incident with the cake tin.

Ouch!

Thanks to John Lewis I now have 2 very large mixing bowls for future use - bargain, £5 the pair in the sale.

Reactions: heh and maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ouch!

Thanks to John Lewis I now have 2 very large mixing bowls for future use - bargain, £5 the pair in the sale.
Lakeland do a plastic cover to keep the contents in but the guard on the Kenwood is better. Hubby keeps saying he can't believe how enthusiastic I am about a plastic cover with a trap door in it for adding ingredients. Something you can only understand when you have been covered in cream or cocoa powder a few times. Seriously good job with that cake. Olive oil cakes are not the easiest. I've had one or two disasters with them.
Not joking about this black eye though. My trainer didn't exactly cheer me up when he said his lasted 3 months when he was elbowed playing football never mind being clouted by a heavy cake tin. I hate blue eye shadow but it's the only thing that disguises it.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lakeland do a plastic cover to keep the contents in but the guard on the Kenwood is better. Hubby keeps saying he can't believe how enthusiastic I am about a plastic cover with a trap door in it for adding ingredients. Something you can only understand when you have been covered in cream or cocoa powder a few times. Seriously good job with that cake. Olive oil cakes are not the easiest. I've had one or two disasters with them.
Not joking about this black eye though. My trainer didn't exactly cheer me up when he said his lasted 3 months when he was elbowed playing football never mind being clouted by a heavy cake tin. I hate blue eye shadow but it's the only thing that disguises it.

Hi @maglil55,

I've been meaning to get something like your Kenwood for years, but keep postponing it. There is also an icecream-maker, a new dishwasher, and a dehydrator on the shopping list.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Saturday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and xylitol.

Lunch: A wiener sausage. Two scrambled eggs with four cherry tomatoes. Half an avocado.

Dinner: Two zucchini-onion-egg fritters, some sweet-and-sour red cabbage, three small lamb cutletts. A medium serving of whipped cream, chocolate mousse and about 10 raspberries.

Now, it's been seven days of no alcohol and one hour of intensive exercise, but looking forward to some wine (or sparkling wine) tomorrow. I will scale back the exercise a bit after tomorrow. This level would be difficult to maintain anyway after I am back at work.

@heh -- hope you feel better soon.
@Goonergal -- great job on the chocolate-olive oil cake. It is not easy scaling the ingredients to a smaller tin size -- I have made some pretty bad mistakes doing this in the past.

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @maglil55,

I've been meaning to get something like your Kenwood for years, but keep postponing it. There is also an icecream-maker, a new dishwasher, and a dehydrator on the shopping list.
There is a frozen dessert attachment for the Kenwood - it's next on my list of attachments. This Christmas I opted for the folding tool, the dicer and the blender. The Kenwood is an amazing machine. I think the fact my last Kenwood was still going strong after 42 years speaks volumes (it has been grabbed by my sister in law). I bought my son a dehydrator for his Christmas. He is another who is well into cooking. Last year I bought him a new sous vide and he ended up buying another. I also got him spices and a joint of beef with the dehydrator and by boxing day he had biltong on the go. My daughter in law appreciates my efforts to ensure I raised a child that can cook, clean and iron!

Reactions: heh and ziggy_w

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @maglil55,

I envy your daughter-in-law. My husband is willing, but alas -- his mother and older sisters have spoiled him a bit. He's still a sweetheart, though.

Probably, next on the list is an Italian compression icecream maker -- probably way over the top (in terms of what I really need). I have seen some really interesting icecream recipes, some of which are savory.

You have mentioned a folding tool that works with your Kenwood. Can you make mousse with this?

Reactions: heh

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @maglil55,

I envy your daughter-in-law. My husband is willing, but alas -- his mother and older sisters have spoiled him a bit. He's still a sweetheart, though.

Probably, next on the list is an Italian compression icecream maker -- probably way over the top (in terms of what I really need). I have seen some really interesting icecream recipes, some of which are savory.

You have mentioned a folding tool that works with your Kenwood. Can you make mousse with this?
Yes. I jumped at the chance of getting it. I've spent years with a metal spoon trying very hard not to knock the air out of a mix but this makes it effortless. So many of the cake recipes involve the whisked sponge method to get rise it is invaluable. It went into use on Christmas Eve to make the deep sponge for the black forest gateaux (in the tin responsible for my black eye) and it is great.

Reactions: heh and ziggy_w

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @maglil55,

Have to add, my husband was the same (note was). His Mother did everything for him. Took years of training but he can do quite a lot now. Fortunately he showed an interest in soup making and he does it really well now. Like son he hasn't mastered the washing machine and I doubt they ever will.

Reactions: ziggy_w and heh

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last one of the year bed 5.6 FBG 6.1. To think a year ago I was struggling with 19.7.
B. Slice Hovis lower carb seeded with lurpack and 2 scrambled eggs.
L. Nothing
D. Home made broth. 1/2 lidl high protein roll with lurpack.
Nibbles later - made Fathead sausage rolls , butterflied prawns coated in sesame seeds and chicken skewers with Tamari Soy.
Campari and soda and a wee prosecco. Bailey's to welcome in the year. A bit more carby than usual but normal service will resume tomorrow.
Must get chia pudding made.

Reactions: ziggy_w and heh

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all

Coming home to a very cold flat I also experimented with making some low carb hot chocolate - teaspoon dark cocoa powder, 250 ml unsweetened almond milk, teaspoon of Erythritol and a dash of cream. Didn’t quite hit the spot - not chocolatey or creamy enough, so will need to refine the recipe.!

I mix this
https://www.kokodairyfree.com/product_specifications/unsweetened_calcium_chilled_/ and this
https://www.ocado.com/webshop/produ...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CMW1tIPotNgCFYcC0wodOKAANQ
50:50 ish with 1 heaped tsp cocoa powder, erythritol 1 drop liquid stevia and heat in a pan, I beat it with a balloon whisk to get it well mixed and frothy
If I want it more choclaty, I grate in some of this
https://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Willies-Cacao-100-Carenero-Cacao/39350011 Which also makes it somewhat thicker
If i want it creamier, then I replace some of the Koko milk with some of this,
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grace-Premium-Coconut-Milk-Litre/dp/B00CPMJCAK

Reactions: ziggy_w