Fish oils/resting heart rate

asyarlk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,
My resting heart rate is 79bpm and I would like to lower it. I read online that fish oils can help with heart health (I already exercise regularly). Does anyone have any experiences of fish oils and lowering rest heart rates? I have just purchased these from Holland and Barrett (see photo). As a diabetic, should I be taking any other supplements? Thank you!
4a4a313061e3ef546e4f72db3bc1b918.jpg
f567b5b97669aba521f6fecb09c72976.jpg

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @asyarik I take High Strength Omega 3 capsules. I don't know if they effect my heart rate, which is around 65 resting. I take them as I am in my 60s and they are supposed to help with other things, including depression.
I do take other supplements, Vitamin D (and K), multivitamins and Zinc.

Reactions: asyarlk

asyarlk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you- I often feel I should ask if I can take something because I have diabetes! On most supplements it says to ask advice from a doctor first but it’s always good to check on here too! Will start tomorrow and see how I get on. Hoping they will help.

Reactions: Prem51

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I Take Fish Oil 1000 mg 3 Caps. A day to Lower my Triglycerides on doctors advice each EPA 180mgDHA 120mg adds up to 900 mg per day approx. the same as you.
So his may be something you want to check with your doc to see if it effects your Triglycerides

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve ALWAYS heard to EAT my fish and not supplement. Who knows. I do love fish
I say why not both. I eat fish at least once a week and often have tinned mackerel or sardines for breakfast on toast yes toast heavily buttered a small tin can last 3 days mixed with a little olive oil plain yoghurt pepper etc

Last edited:

asyarlk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I suppose eating fish and supplementing would be the best solution? I try and eat fish but after a recent bout of food poisoning it’s put me off slightly!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I've nibbled on fish instead of sweets from an early age. I've always preferred mackerel to boiled sweets or chocolate bars. My sisters and mum are still munching on their sugary treats whilst I'm only diabetic and prefer fish or seafood.
I don't get it but I have a different blood group from them and an obvious difference in intellect. Maybe different genes?

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know about heart rate or if it affects it but I take H&B one a day high strength cold liver oil with Vit A and D. I have been taking it for about 25 years and think it helps the joints I am 78 my joints are still good no arthritis.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51 and asyarlk

asyarlk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Holland and Barrett are doing their penny sale today so might be a good time to stock up!

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @asyarlk . I'm not sure whether your resting heart rate will be affected/ lowered by taking fish oil.
There are benefits from taking this supplement especially if your diet is lacking in what the supplements are offering.
I'm 54 and a recent check up had my resting heart rate at 40bpm rising to 43bpm when standing.
I take no supplements, just " attempt " to eat a healthy, balanced diet. Carbs, protein and fats, the only restriction is I don't eat what I perceive to be junk food.
Since the age of 11 I've always had some form of exercise going on. Rugby until my early twenties, the last 30+ yrs have been a mix of weight training in various forms, endurance/ cardiovascular training and high intensity training.
I like to think that my 6 days a week training programs are beneficial, I wouldn't like to say that one type of exercise is responsible for a lowered heart rate. But if I was to suggest an exercise routine for heart health ( I'm no expert, it's only my opinion) I would go for a high intensity based workout. Tabata is extreme, but I believe a great workout. It's short in duration but highly effective. It's something I do every couple of months and over a 2/3 week period it's amazing how much you can achieve.
Good luck.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Holland and Barrett are doing their penny sale today so might be a good time to stock up!
That's what I usually do buy a big pot and get another the same size for penny. I have noticed the last few times though is only certain things and sizes now like the largest size in the penny sale it used to be mostly everything

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Hello,
My resting heart rate is 79bpm and I would like to lower it. I read online that fish oils can help with heart health (I already exercise regularly). Does anyone have any experiences of fish oils and lowering rest heart rates? I have just purchased these from Holland and Barrett (see photo). As a diabetic, should I be taking any other supplements? Thank you!
4a4a313061e3ef546e4f72db3bc1b918.jpg
f567b5b97669aba521f6fecb09c72976.jpg

I think "heart health" is a vary vague description.

Firstly, has anyone suggested that your resting heart rate is in any way unhealthy?

As I understand it, your resting heart rate usually relates to the size of your heart and how muscular it is. This in turn relates to how much you exercise it.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/411280-the-average-heart-rate-chart-for-athletes/ gives one view on this.

I understand also that it is a sign of your level of cardiovascular fitness, so the state of your major blood vessels can also impact on your resting heart rate.

So from the linked article above your heart rate doesn't seem abnormal. Taking fish pills is unlikely to lower your resting heart rate although it may improve your overall vascular health. This is different from your vascular fitness.

As far as I can see if you really want to lower your resting heart beat you need to exercise to improve your whole body fitness. Oh, and perhaps some Yoga because the relaxation exercises can reduce your heart rate.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Fish oil always gave me ‘Fish burps’, indigestion and bloating.
Fish does the opposite. Sits great and bs is great. I eat some type of fish/ seafood almost every day for dinner

Reactions: asyarlk and Prem51