Allulose - sugar substitute

Isalbo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, looking at keto recipes on the web & allulose was an ingredient used as a sugar sibstitute. I have never heard of allulose. Is it recommended? Is it worth it?

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
By the looks of it it's a sugar alcohol just like Xylitol and Erythritol.

Isalbo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
After reading, not for me. I’ll stick to the unprocessed & natural sugar... in moderation, bien sûr.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Interesting. I bought some to make... marshmallows ( !), and tasted a bit last night. BG went up .8 to 6.7 from a 2-hr-post and 3.5-hr-post meal reading. And is up even further this morning's FBG. It can only be the allulose, methinks. Ah well. I'll take all week to get BG back down again, then maybe do another trial. For self-comparison, 4-5 times that much erythritol does nothing to me.

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not sure if it's readily available to buy for domestic use in the UK, but I think I read that it's licensed to be used by food manufacturers.

Tate and Lyle have their sticky paws in the allulose pot. http://www.dolciaprima.com/