Amazon Echo

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does it give you the US values or the UK values? Might be worth checking a couple of items with a supermarket website just to make sure.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My brother upgraded his Echo and gave me his old one.
Its amazing, im type 1 and carb count and all i have to do is ask it how many carbs are in certain foods, i just thought i would share this as for me its a game changer

Now that is brilliant! (so long as it gives UK values!) Been thinking of getting one for other reasons but that is another plus I hadn't thought of, just need the wife to think it's a good idea.........well make her think it's her idea which are of course always good ideas................;)

Reactions: michaela2015

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If it's anything like Google Assistant/Home I think it uses US values for a lot of things (e.g. USDA for 'white bread'). There are various sources which let these access their databases to pull contextual information like this - MyFitnessPal is one example and is likely to contain a lot of US content.

Reactions: michaela2015

michaela2015

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mine seems to know its in the uk, i just say "echo how many carbs in 50grams of rice or a slice of white bread" and it replies

Reactions: porl69 and slip

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
now being pedantic, have you confirmed it's reply is correct?

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Never actually thought of using my Echo for Diabetes related issues.

There are a number of apps that can be voice controlled with the Echo - i wonder if you can tell alexa your blood sugar levels and she can keep track and tell you the average etc

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
"Alexa, I'm about to have my usual Friday night curry and my bg is 5.6, what dose and when should I do it, oh and remind me to do a test in 2 hours"

michaela2015

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
now being pedantic, have you confirmed it's reply is correct?
Everything i have asked has been correct, she got confused with Christmas cake so i asked for fruit cake i still have to weigh carbs but she learns and stores what you ask her so over time she is going to be spot on.
I think they cost £39.99 money well spent for me

michaela2015

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Never actually thought of using my Echo for Diabetes related issues.

There are a number of apps that can be voice controlled with the Echo - i wonder if you can tell alexa your blood sugar levels and she can keep track and tell you the average etc
Its worth a try