No-Carb Meals

Jeremy_Wood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,

I'm interested in looking into no-carb meals, probably just lunches. I want to bring my weight down (I've put on 10kg in 4 months!) and lower my insulin intake.

Any advice?

Thanks,

J

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

I'm interested in looking into no-carb meals, probably just lunches. I want to bring my weight down (I've put on 10kg in 4 months!) and lower my insulin intake.

Any advice?

Thanks,

J

Do you mean NO carbs?

Meat, fish, butter, hard cheeses, eggs

Reactions: dbr10

MelY123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm going to start the 5/2 diet next week in an effort to get rid of diabetes altogether. Regarding carbs - try no carbs at breakfast and no carbs for the evening meal. But perhaps a sandwich for lunch.

Jeremy_Wood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks guys. I don't want to cut out too many carbs - being type 1 I don't want to run the risk of hypos. But I think maybe a totally carb free lunch could work. Thanks for the tips on what to eat @Bluetit1802

Do things like salad count as carbs, or are they just negligible?

Reactions: mytype1.life

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,

Any advice?

Thanks,

J
I have to bolus for half my protein as if it were a carb as in the absence of carbs we will gluconeogenisis. I’ve never had just a fat meal like butter so no idea about that one.
I am ultra low carb. Just some avocado, nuts and a few random veggies.

I had to cut my insulin doses way down but rarely hypo. The timing of the bolus matters as well. I wait 20 min before eating.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Robkww

I'm lowish carb and lunch for me is salad with either chicken, smoked salmon or smoked mackerel. Either buy from local supermarket for around £4 or plate up at home and take in - no bread. My weight is steady at 72.5kg at 5ft 11in.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm going to start the 5/2 diet next week in an effort to get rid of diabetes altogether. Regarding carbs - try no carbs at breakfast and no carbs for the evening meal. But perhaps a sandwich for lunch.
That is rather like deciding to walk on a nice level pathway for your exercise then running up a ten story car park half way through it.
Having a small amount of carbs with your meals - preferably from things with lots of vitamins and minerals is - to my way of thinking - a far better ploy. I find that adding in either a tomato and salad or a few veges to my eggs and cheese or sausage first meal stops my blood glucose continuing to rise and rise - no carbs or fasting is equally bad for me. Check your readings to see if that is going to be giving you the best outcome - most people find that their insulin resistance reduces as the day goes on, but others find the reverse - we are all different in how we work, but some regime plans do seem better than others.

Reactions: Sue192

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks guys. I don't want to cut out too many carbs - being type 1 I don't want to run the risk of hypos. But I think maybe a totally carb free lunch could work. Thanks for the tips on what to eat @Bluetit1802

Do things like salad count as carbs, or are they just negligible?

I’m also lowish carbs! Personally I wouldn’t recommend no carbs - it’s didn’t seem to work for me, also T1. Today for lunch I had lettuce, cucumber, olives and a handful of blueberries (13g) of carbs. I may add add some cheese into the mix tomorrow, no extra carbs.

Jeremy_Wood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m also lowish carbs! Personally I wouldn’t recommend no carbs - it’s didn’t seem to work for me, also T1. Today for lunch I had lettuce, cucumber, olives and a handful of blueberries (13g) of carbs. I may add add some cheese into the mix tomorrow, no extra carbs.

Cool thanks @mytype1.life, I'll give it a shot.

Lunch today was leftover turkey (obvs) with some lettuce, cherry tomatoes, cheese, cucumber, olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice. I factored in 15g and it seemed to work pretty well. I'm not hungry and bloods have been steady all afternoon.

Maybe low carb is better than no carb...

J

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Cool thanks @mytype1.life, I'll give it a shot.

Lunch today was leftover turkey (obvs) with some lettuce, cherry tomatoes, cheese, cucumber, olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice. I factored in 15g and it seemed to work pretty well. I'm not hungry and bloods have been steady all afternoon.

Maybe low carb is better than no carb...

J

Sounds perfect, well done!

Reactions: Jeremy_Wood