Folks, has anyones GP changed their meter/strips & lancets without informing them?

ill3st

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As the above question states, I received a letter from my GP stating that I am being changed (I've my checked my prescription via Patient Access and it's all changed!) from my Verio IQ meter to a Select Plus meter. Not a happy bunny regarding this, I've to come in & be given my new stuff. Would have respected a option to change.

Apparently a company is doing it, so I'm wondering if my GP is getting awarded some £'s for an amount of diabetic folks changed over?

#rage

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Happens all the time or so I've been told. As I self fund I decide on what meter to use for my self but if in your position would be most dis chuffed to have it changed in such an arbitrary fashion.

Reactions: ill3st
D

Deleted member 308541

Not a happy bunny regarding this, I've to come in & be given my new stuff. Would have respected a option to change.
As I self fund all of my stuff, I would like a new lot of gear given to me for nothing.

I cannot see any problem there.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I hope a big number screen on it. Maybe you'll be getting libre in due course to compliment a basic meter? I hope so, if its what you would like.

Lynne C J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
As the above question states, I received a letter from my GP stating that I am being changed (I've my checked my prescription via Patient Access and it's all changed!) from my Verio IQ meter to a Select Plus meter. Not a happy bunny regarding this, I've to come in & be given my new stuff. Would have respected a option to change.

Apparently a company is doing it, so I'm wondering if my GP is getting awarded some £'s for an amount of diabetic folks changed over?

#rage

Lynne C J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My surgery tried to do this to me some years ago, ordered to by the PCT. The new meter had a memory of the 99 recent tests but there was no date or time for each reading. I kicked up a fuss, got my MP involved and lo and behold I was allowed to continue with my Accu-Chek meter that I had bought. Within 6 months the order to change everyone onto the Chinese made meter had been lifted. This has also happened again recently and diabetic friends had their meters and strips changed but oddly enough they left me alone, can't imagine why!!

ill3st

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad to hear I'm not on my own regarding this matter. I'll be going to my meeting on Thursday with some support.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @ill3st ,

In my case no. Never... I changed surgeries a couple of years back?
Last summer I was called in for a medication review.. I thought "here we go!" (Hearing some stories like yours.)
I was met by a pretty laid back GP.
We went through the list & I left with no "amendments"..

I feel it's a "post code lottery" sometimes.. (& the integrity of the GP.) My last surgery even prescribed strips for my T2 dad on metformin..

ill3st

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's the way it has been conducted. If I was given the option I may have considered it. This way, no!

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was changed from an Aviva Expert to a GlucoRx a couple of years back. The surgery, upfront, was clear that this was an opportunity to save money and anyone who had a problem should book an appointment to talk it through.

Turns out, that I believe the RX as much as I believed the Aviva...

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I havent had meter or strips changed but they did change my pen needles to some very cheap and nasty ones went surgery had murder told them i wouldnt take my insulin unless they changed them bk outcome was a new prescription for my usual ones

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's the way it has been conducted. If I was given the option I may have considered it. This way, no!

I fully empathise @ill3st .. Information on the merits of the meter on offer from the GP admin would be nice.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Actually this did happen to a friend but he argued that the new meter was unsuitable in respect of his arthritic fingers and doctor relented.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!

#rage
@ill3st my meter was changed on my last review diabetic nurse said they where changing every diabetic onto the tee3 meter, personally I like it it's easy to use no problems with it upto now. I've had it 12 months there about because my revie due again this month. But was not informed beforehand or given any choices.!K