What is your New Year’s Resolution?

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't make New Year's Resolutions...if I want to do something I do it now! That being said, my current diabetes goals are:

-Lose weight. I'm not fat but too many hypo treatments are taking their toll, so I want to get back down a couple of kilos. Maybe a target of 50kg?
-Don't have hypos. This is an ongoing effort I made since having a couple of scary ones earlier this year. So far I've been very successful - my worst hypo since starting this was a 3.6, and I spend pretty much all my time above 4 so I'm very happy with this.
-Exercise more. I will slowly increase my daily exercise from its current 30min (+-15 depending on blood sugars) to an unknown goal between 1-3 hours a day. This is based on the story of "Miracle Dan". I think I may be able to greatly decrease my daily dose with exercise (maybe not come off it entirely but I guess anything's possible). This is more of an experiment than a goal though.
-Maintain current diet. I recently started a diet in an attempt to (1) lose weight and (2) decrease my TDD. This is subject to change although I've been pleased with my diet so far.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Mine is to lose just half a stone more and reach a non-diabetic level for A1c hopefully by next year 2018!
Mine 2018 is to be happy and bright and funny and helpful and caring and just nice. And to cook some new yummy stuff, have fun, make the garden brilliant and productive and colourful. To feed the birds, scare the cats and by doing that..... perhaps lose the 7k I've put on since being diagnosed. Happy New year everyone and big thanks

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@SueJB I'm sorry but there are already two contenders for the patron saint of diabetes.

Saint Josemaria Escriva and Pauline of the Agonizing Heart of Jesus

:):)

Reactions: lindijanice

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not so much a resolution but a medical need. I WILL get my levels sorted, I WILL stick to LCHF and I WILL lose the last 4 stone. I WILL come onto this site every day to stay motivated.

Happy new year to you all.
You can do it!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Last edited:
Reactions: bkr

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I rarely make New Years resolutions but moving forward I do plan on keeping up with my weightlifting and keeping a tighter rein on my diet and blood glucose levels.
Going lchf has helped me lower and semi stabilize my bg’s and lose a few pounds. An added bonus is my wife has followed suit and has lost 13pounds. My Hba1c last week came back at 5.8 which in Canada is below pre-diabetes. My plan is to lower it even more.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My New Years resolution is to get back on the LCHF wagon again! I know that LCHF and swimming enables weight loss and good bs levels but temptation takes over every few months. My resolution is to follow both for as long as possible

Scorpius

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Fish & Seafood, Beetroot
Mine is to lose another 6kg by the end of February (78kg). Reduce Metformin to 2 tablets, and to be able to reach a non-diabetic level for HB A1c due in February. My end of 2018 goal is to manage by diabetes via diet only and no more medication. :)

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apart from getting my hbA1c into the mid-30s, my NY resolution is to stop myself from reading this Forum for hours! That will help with my other resolution to actually get going on some exercise - it's just over a 2-mile walk to work (admittedly not the most scenic of walks) but it's so easy just to get into the car....

Reactions: bkr and Freema

Crystalwand

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Not to take rubbish from, people telling me what I can and can't eat ( I fecking know ) also don't listen to what HCA tell me, but that's just me

Reactions: Freema

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
My aims for this year are to get my weight down to 11.5 stone and my waist measurement to 34 inches or below.

This should be achievable but is going to be very hard work.

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I want to loose the gained weight again and to go lower in general carb wise ...- and to eat a lot more coconut oil just to see How it will effect my health and if I can keep cholesterol lower by using coconut oil instead of animal fat and butter

The next 3 month I’ll knit a lot for fun Then maybe make jewelry or paint paintings after summer and wedding trip to Mexico in autumn

Crystalwand

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I want to loose the gained weight again and to go lower in general carb wise ...- and to eat a lot more coconut oil just to see How it will effect my health and if I can keep cholesterol lower by using coconut oil instead of animal fat and butter

The next 3 month I’ll knit a lot for fun Then maybe make jewelry or paint paintings after summer and wedding trip to Mexico in autumn
Please let us know how you get on with the coconut oil, best of luck, with everything

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I have set some goals:

• Eat 10% less
    • No second helping of nuts
  • Try to maintain 85 Kg's or lower
  • Try a 2 day fast from 17th January
  • Try to lower visceral fat (latest reading 6.5, probably 7.5 now)
    • Helping my vanity project (6 pack). I associate this with optimal fat loss for me and possibly being at my best diabetes wise
    • Should help lower my blood pressure
  • Get a better understanding of my HbA1c. Good FBG, good prandial and ad hoc, which is not translating to HbA1c, despite my glucometer measuring identical to my synchronised surgery device tested last week.
  • Improve my general flexibility
    • Splits would be a good goal
    • Upper body mobilisation around the shoulders should be improved
  • Get an official "Diabetes in remission" status
  • Deliver my wife's health project
  • Help as many as possible
That's me.

Last edited:

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
To establish why the body is so good at managing on much less calories than RMR, rendering efforts to lose weight virtually impossible unless taking the ND route, 600 - 800 calories a day, 2,000 calories less than RMR in my case.