No prick blood testing

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Okay. As far as I'm aware, like a lot of areas in the UK, Leicester isn't yet prescribing the Freestyle libre.
It is available by self funding. I don't use the system myself but a lot on the forum do.
I'll tag / ask @Snapsy to see if she will pass on some of her wealth of experience using the libre.

I'm not that hot with computers/ internet/ forums but most people on here are understanding.

Also visit the blood glucose monitoring sub forum. There's a lot of chat regarding the libre to be found there.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Hunters_1 and thanks @therower for the tag!

I love my Libre, but as far as I know (from reading posts on here) it's not been made widely available yet via the NHS, if at all. I've got my annual review tomorrow so have printed out a couple of graphs showing my Libre data to show my consultant - am hoping for a chat with him about it. We'll see!

If you hit the 'search' box and type in Freestyle Libre you will find a whole load of information about it - before I committed to buying mine I spent weeks - I mean WEEKS - reading loads about it from other forum users.

I took the plunge and am delighted that I did. I still do blood tests before I eat, and before and after exercising, and before driving, but the Libre takes care of all my 'reassurance' testing. I'm a serial micromanager and test and scan many many times a day.

My Libre reader reads a little high, always has, but that's fine. I rely more on the graph line and the trend arrow rather than the actual number. If I want a cut-and-dried number, I'll do a blood test.

Just downloading my data this evening for my appointment tomorrow it has shown me a predicted HbA1c of 40 mmol/mol. Actual HbA1c, according to my results from last week's blood test via a phone call with my GP surgery this afternoon, was 38 mmol/mol. So I'm quite pleased with its accuracy (although I'd prefer fewer hypos and a higher HbA1c, to be honest).

I would love my doctor to just write me a prescription for it. I struggle to fund it myself, BUT I am so very desperately obsessed with my control that I'd rather go without other stuff than without the Libre. Perhaps not the healthiest psychological attitude to my diabetes, but this way I'm happiest!

:)

Edited to say have a look at this, particularly the tutorials bit - it'll show you how it works - https://www.freestylelibre.co.uk/li...MI98-Cnaq62AIV5pPtCh3woAQQEAAYASAAEgI28fD_BwE