Surprised! Hurt my hand and diabetes didn't care.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Today at work I managed to roll up my fingers backwards around the spinning axis of a machine (not the fault of my boss or the machine, just me being plain stupid). Probably not broken, but the hand looks quite interesting by now. After my colleage had stopped the machine and got me untangled (Two paires of gloves involved, one of which stretchy sticky rubber work gloves) we were very happy to find all my fingers still in their right places and willing to move. I went inside to cool and get a big hug from my boss. After ten minutes it started to hurt real bad, I started sweating and trying to decide if I was going to throw up or faint, but settled on just laying my head on the table and hoping I wasn't going hypo as well. After things got a little better I checked, and my Libre didn't show as much as a bump in either direction, despite adrenalin, reaction to pain, and half a shock or something like that.
Sugar has been perfect for the rest of the day.
Not that I mind, I like perfect sugars, but I still feel diabetes should be a bit more impressed when I almost lose or break my hand!
Is everyones diabetes like this with injury or am I just lucky?

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Antje77 ,

Many years ago. A guy I knew lost the tips off three of his fingers at a recycling plant..
He said. At first he felt no pain & thought he'd only cut his glove until he removed the glove to inspect his hand... Then it hit him.
I believe it can sometimes take a little while for the brain to start ringing the alarm bells sometimes, when associating an injury with pain.

Have you managed to have the hand professionally checked out?

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you managed to have the hand professionally checked out?
Yup. Went to GP, who thinks (as well as I do) it isn't broken. He asked me if I was alright with coming back tomorrow to see again and then decide to go for an x-ray or not. If I had wanted he would've sent me for an x-ray right away, but I'd rather not as it involves driving to the next city (changing gears is not my favourite thing right now), and then the waiting and everything in hospital. Yuck.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yup. Went to GP, who thinks (as well as I do) it isn't broken. He asked me if I was alright with coming back tomorrow to see again and then decide to go for an x-ray or not. If I had wanted he would've sent me for an x-ray right away, but I'd rather not as it involves driving to the next city (changing gears is not my favourite thing right now), and then the waiting and everything in hospital. Yuck.

I fell over, broke my clavicle, tore my ligaments, dislocated my shoulder and gave myself two black eyes - my blood sugars were splendid though. I decided my impressive mental ability to bounce back from life' s little tribulations with a joke, is shared by my liver/ pancreas/ etc etc. Hope you feel better soon and nothing drops off unexpectedly!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

You may have only pulled strained some muscles? Lol, I'm no doctor..
But it's worth the X-ray for the peace of mind & determine further treatment action..

(Just noticed you're in the Netherlands.) I'm in the UK. I was referred fro an X-ray with a shoulder issue, a little while back.
To my surprise I could just show up at the X-ray department when I wanted.? I chose first thing in the morning. My name was on a "short of list" of of expected cases.. I sat there with a couple of guys that looked like they had been admitted the night before waiting. (Probably not. They looked worse than me!) & was done in half an hour?! :)

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Close call there between the 'funny' emoticon and the 'hug' emoticon, @CherryAA . I picked the former, but please please accept a mahoosive hug as a side order.

@Antje77 - OWWWWWWOWWWWOWWW OWWWWWW! Hugs coming your way too, m'dear. Hope it heals very soon.

xxx

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I decided my impressive mental ability to bounce back from life' s little tribulations with a joke, is shared by my liver/ pancreas/ etc etc.
Ah, mystery solved! My pancreas is not uninterested, it's witty! Thanks!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Close call there between the 'funny' emoticon and the 'hug' emoticon, @CherryAA . I picked the former, but please please accept a mahoosive hug as a side order.

@Antje77 - OWWWWWWOWWWWOWWW OWWWWWW! Hugs coming your way too, m'dear. Hope it heals very soon.

xxx
You made the choosing emoticons even harder with your post. Had to choose between 'agree' 'friendly' and 'funny'.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
But it's worth the X-ray for the peace of mind & determine further treatment action
If Dr. says it's probably fine, I'm fully fine with that! Not too worried anyway, except about the chance he'll send me off to hospital and they'll wrap up my hand like a present and make it totally useless for three weeks! I know I need to quit smoking but I don't want to be forced by making it impossible to roll a cigaret.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know I need to quit smoking but I don't want to be forced by making it impossible to roll a cigaret.
You're really not helping me narrow down my emoticon choice either! Hug or funny - funny won!
;)

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@CherryAA , I guess our pancreases might have too much time on their hands now they're not busy producing insulin. Hence the joking!

It must be quite annoying for all our bodily parts when they finally realise that we have started to get them sussed and far from letting them rule our lives any more, we can take a big swing at them with a pinprick, a glug of olive oil and the occasional bandage.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It must be quite annoying for all our bodily parts when they finally realise that we have started to get them sussed and far from letting them rule our lives any more, we can take a big swing at them with a pinprick, a glug of olive oil and the occasional bandage.
Oh wow, I love the thought of taking control of our bodies in this way! I'm going to henceforth batter my knackered pancreas with humour!

An absolute winner of a post, @CherryAA !

:):):)

Reactions: CherryAA

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh wow, I love the thought of taking control of our bodies in this way! I'm going to henceforth batter my knackered pancreas with humour!

An absolute winner of a post, @CherryAA !

:):):)

Always look on the bright side of life - de doo de doo de doo de dooh!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So this is how one sore hand can give multiple people a wonderful time on the internet. Too bad, hand. We win!

Reactions: Guzzler
D

Deleted member 308541

Today at work I managed to roll up my fingers backwards around the spinning axis of a machine (not the fault of my boss or the machine, just me being plain stupid).
Did the machine have a guard on it stop those type of incidents such as yours?

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yup! Best thread of the night! Still, commiserations to the hand. Does it fancy a drink to take the edge off? There's some leftover cooking brandy round here somewhere......

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yup! Best thread of the night! Still, commiserations to the hand. Does it fancy a drink to take the edge off? There's some leftover cooking brandy round here somewhere......
I already shared a drink with hand, and not cooking brandy :)

Reactions: Snapsy

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
hand.jpg
hand andere.jpg

As hand is becoming famous around here I thought you might like a picture of it!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The left one is fine, except for the proof I really need to quit smoking. And never mind the dirt. I had been repairing the machine before it attacked me, and no way I can rub the grease off right now.