Abbott Optium Exceed vs Freestyle Optium

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello..
I wanna ask about my glucose meter..

I bought Optium exceed (with coding needed) when i was first diagnosed in 2006.
After a while I stopped using it and bought other meters with no particular reasons..
Lately I wanna go back to use my old optium exceed after realized it can be used for ketone test and I kinda need it because I wanna do a keto diet..

But when I was going to order test strips, I'm confused when google about it, it has already changed/replaced by newer model: Freestyle optium (with no coding)

My question is, can I use the new Freestyle optium test stipes (both for glucose and ketones) for my old optium exceed?
Considering the old one need coding and the new one doesnt..

I'm afraid of wasting much money if theyre not compatible because no returns policy here in my country..

Thank you

Reactions: himtoo

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Last edited:

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having used both those meters in the past (but I never tried what you're wanting to do) I'd assume not, but best check with the Abbott - talk sweetly to them and they may send you a need meter FOC!

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @SassyWanderluster . I am currently using 2 meters.
A new Freestyle optium neo. Used whilst at home.
An old Freestyle optium xceed. Used whilst at work.
Optium test strips work for both meters.
The old days of calibration, I believe was a means of getting the strips aligned with the meters.
Advances in the strips now mean they are " calibrated" to the same standard at manufacturing.
I do on occasion check how my 2 meters read alongside each other. They are always well within range of each other.
Hope this helps.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having used both those meters in the past (but I never tried what you're wanting to do) I'd assume not, but best check with the Abbott - talk sweetly to them and they may send you a need meter FOC!

I'm gonna call them today, as it is the 1st office day in 2018 here.. if they're not compatible i hope they would replace my old one.. wish me luck :D

Last edited:
Reactions: himtoo
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @SassyWanderluster . I am currently using 2 meters.
A new Freestyle optium neo. Used whilst at home.
An old Freestyle optium xceed. Used whilst at work.
Optium test strips work for both meters.
The old days of calibration, I believe was a means of getting the strips aligned with the meters.
Advances in the strips now mean they are " calibrated" to the same standard at manufacturing.
I do on occasion check how my 2 meters read alongside each other. They are always well within range of each other.
Hope this helps.
Oh that's great..

But I'm sure my old meter is older than your old freestyle optium exceed..

Because it doesn't have a "freestyle" name on it.
It's just abbott optium exceed..

I mean.. it's the older model of the freestyle optium..
There's a metal strip that came along with the test strips box as coding/calibration.. and everytime I open a new strips box, I need to calibrate again with the calibrator from new box..
While the freestyle meter only need the strip..without the calibrator..
So I'm still confused..
Thanks for sharing your experience..
I think I need to do the same as you, use 1 meter at office and the other 1 at home..
Currently I just bring my meter wherever I go, using the same meter everywhere..

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@SassyWanderluster . Hi. I'm 99% sure my old meter at one time used to get supplied strips that needed calibration.
Initially you would get a box of strips and a separate calibration stick, which would have a random code on. This then changed, you still got the strips and calibration stick but the calibration stick had the same code in every box/ batch. 45001 if I recall. This system lasted for a while then stopped, you just didn't get the calibration stick anymore and everything worked fine.
Good luck.:)

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@SassyWanderluster . Hi. I'm 99% sure my old meter at one time used to get supplied strips that needed calibration.
Initially you would get a box of strips and a separate calibration stick, which would have a random code on. This then changed, you still got the strips and calibration stick but the calibration stick had the same code in every box/ batch. 45001 if I recall. This system lasted for a while then stopped, you just didn't get the calibration stick anymore and everything worked fine.

Oh god I'd forgotten about that, yes originally the coding stick always had a different code, and then they all started to use the same code, and yes 45001 rings a bell in the murky distant past. Rower I bow to your masterful knowledge of all things 'testing' :joyful:

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh god I'd forgotten about that, yes originally the coding stick always had a different code, and then they all started to use the same code, and yes 45001 rings a bell in the murky distant past. Rower I bow to your masterful knowledge of all things 'testing' :joyful:
Memories:):):):):):)

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Midnight, not a sound from the pavement
Has the moon lost her memory?
She is smiling alone
In the lamplight, the withered leaves collect at my feet
And the wind begins to moan..........................

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Midnight, not a sound from the pavement
Has the moon lost her memory?
She is smiling alone
In the lamplight, the withered leaves collect at my feet
And the wind begins to moan..........................
WOW. I'm impressed.
Roses are red.
Violets are blue.
Sadly, that's the best I can do.:)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi thanks for the information..
I see..
so it should be no problems then to use the new strips for my old meter..

Btw.. i called Abbott Indonesia, and told them about my confusion.
Then they said dont worry they will replace my old optium exceed with the new freestyle optium!
Yeayyy ♀️ so happy..
I just need to send my old meter to them and they'll ship the new meter for free..
Thanks to its life time guarantee :D

And thanks to all of you guys for replying to my thread and help me with all informations above..

Reactions: himtoo and therower

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi thanks for the information..
I see..
so it should be no problems then to use the new strips for my old meter..

Btw.. i called Abbott Indonesia, and told them about my confusion.
Then they said dont worry they will replace my old optium exceed with the new freestyle optium!
Yeayyy ♀️ so happy..
I just need to send my old meter to them and they'll ship the new meter for free..
Thanks to its life time guarantee :D

And thanks to all of you guys for replying to my thread and help me with all informations above..
that is fabulous news @SassyWanderluster !!
well done you !!

do keep posting -- your experience will always be helpful and welcome !!

all the best !
himtoo

Reactions: SassyWanderluster