Non-Invasive blood checking

tommyj

After doing a bit of rummaging around on the interweb for the best meters available, I found this article outlining the work of some genius in MIT who has just started a trial (September 2010) on this (Sorry if this is a repost or rehash of a previous discussion!)

http://www.mid-day.com/news/2010/au...ng-innovation-non-invasive-glucose-sensor.htm

What does the board think? Have there been rumours of such things before or is there really light at the end of the tunnel from those annoying meters?

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
every so often i hear about it but think we are stuck with what weve got :)

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
All the investment bound up in finger lancing and test strips will ensure this gets kicked into the long grass.

Gazhay

Exactly. The manufacturers are not interested in replacing strips and lancets, as that's how they make their money.

Non-invasive test kit would have to be priced to reflect the loss they would get from that, and the development costs of a new machine.

ruralweb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
LADAR - Laser chemical detection systems have been available for many years now so this may not be so far fetched as it may seem. The problem will be size but as most will know there are already oxygen monitoring systems for hospitals that fit on a patients finger

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
ruralweb said:
LADAR - Laser chemical detection systems have been available for many years now so this may not be so far fetched as it may seem. The problem will be size but as most will know there are already oxygen monitoring systems for hospitals that fit on a patients finger

You can buy small portable finger-clip PulseOx battery operated monitors from many suppliers now .. I have one.
I occasionally suffer breathing problems and this lets me know if I am absorbing enough O2 or maybe heading for trouble and A&E.