Regular moderate exercise log

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like you're ready for first footing with all those boots then, @Japes !
:joyful:

I would be if I were male, tall, dark and handsome and not female, short, getting greyer by the minute and sort of ordinary. Not that I am anticipating any first footing in these parts. Just loads of fireworks!

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Far from ordinary, @Japes ! Happy new year! I was woken up by the fireworks here - got really cross, mumbling something about 'gratuitous noise' and then I remembered yeah, it's new year...........!

Gosh I feel like such a wrinkly!

:joyful:

Reactions: Japes

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Uh-oh............ I seem to have started 2018 with a half a marathon's worth of training run. My first long run was 12km a couple of weeks before Christmas, then 16km the weekend before Christmas (so 10 miles). Today we were aiming for 9km out and 9km back, so 18km total, but some bright spark (coughs) suggested 10 out and 10 back as it was 'nice round numbers'.

I was then reminded by one of the others that 21.1-ish km is actually a half marathon. We couldn't not......

But oh boy, it's the first day of the year - how on earth am I going to keep THIS up?!

:rolleyes:

image.jpeg

Reactions: kev-w

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Eek to running half a marathon!

But, um, I've walked 13.6 miles in my new boots. My jury is out on how good these boots are. They're a different make from the ones I've been accustomed to. If I can get another pair of those for long walk days, and keep these ones for under 10 miles that may be better. Or try the sports insoles in the new ones maybe.

There were a lot of runners out there obviously new to the activity.....

Reactions: Snapsy

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Eek to running half a marathon!
That's exactly what Mr S said! Well actually it was more like 'yer bonkers'......

I think I must've been drunk when I registered for the Worthing Half. Luckily I'm training with peeps who have got whole marathons looming, so I figure I'll get quite a few more miles in by next month!

You beat me with your new boots, Japes - but it sounds like they're not as comfy as you'd like? Do be careful of blisters and chafing, won't you?

Mr S and I went for a mile-long walk across the fields this afternoon - he's got some joint issues so walking for pleasure isn't really a big Mr S 'thing' - I was in my trusty walking boots, but he chose his steel toe-capped wellies! Hmmmm.

:)

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh, I'm morbidly careful about chaffing and blisters. I checked my feet immediately I got in, as well as at lunch time, when I changed my socks (excellent Bridgedale ones) and they seem fine, but I'll check again when I have a bath soon.

It may just be a brewing cold, as well as new boots, but I was stiff and achy in a way I haven't been for a long time, and I've walked several 15 miles plus days this holiday. I don't think the soles are as thick on these boots as on the old ones. I was aware of the tactile pavementing more than usual.

Last edited:

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
:D

Simple solution - add extra insoles - Scholls Sports ones.

5 miles walk to test and all is well. Now just need to remember to keep an eye out for those insoles on special offer again. They're pricy but worth it for whichever pair of boots are used on the long walk days.

Definitely a cold but hopefully not a really bad one. It's not messing with my blood sugars, so far it seems, as it so often does.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Simple solution - add extra insoles - Scholls Sports ones.
Ooooh, good thinking!

Did 30 lengths this morning - I think it was really beneficial to get everything moving after yesterday's efforts. The swim felt amazing and really set me up for the day! A little stiffness remains in my right foot, as per usual after a long run, and my left heel is complaining a bit, which although is a new niggle I don't think it's life-threatening. And I hadn't been planning on going to running club tonight in any case!

Hope your cold gets better very soon, @Japes ! Our houseful over Christmas included one with a cold - Mr S has got a sore throat, and I've had a headache all day which I'm (with hope!) putting down to mild dehydration - we'll see. Tis the season, and all that...........

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
^For heel pains try rolling your foot on a golf ball controlling the contact pressure, 'twas something the docs suggested for a heel problem I had the other year, but it's good for aching feet too.

I managed my gym session training chest, I warmed up properly and the shoulder wasn't the issue I expected although I lifted a little lighter, which is probably my way forward for this month, I need to get switched back on to swimming as it's a couple of weeks since I swam 1500mm but hey.... I'll get there. :)

Reactions: Snapsy

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
^For heel pains try rolling your foot on a golf ball controlling the contact pressure, 'twas something the docs suggested for a heel problem I had the other year, but it's good for aching feet too.
Thanks, @kev-w ! Have got a spiky firm rubber ball that I've been doing just that with - and my calves have been showing my foam roller no mercy - or should that be the other way round?! Experience tells me to pay plenty of attention to the bits higher up than the stiff bits. So far so good - will see how I get on at the gym tomorrow!

After that I've got my annual review at the hospital - now that's a psychological workout rather than a physical one..... LOL!

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I was going to screenshot my Garmin swim, but I seem to have paused it at 31 minutes, 1150 metres into a 45 minute swim, a decent start to the year taking a sugar of 15 into the pool and coming out at 7.6 :) and as my blood had come down nicely I wandered into the gym there and trained my back.

My left shoulder's sore, but it moves, I trained light so not to aggravate it post swim, and I just swam breaststroke, I feel good now :) but was sulking at the hi sugar at the start....

Edit, the watch did record the swim I discovered earlier :)
26195830_10156191040255116_578154948451026377_n.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Japes and Snapsy

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I changed my socks (excellent Bridgedale ones)
IMO Bridgedale socks are one of the great advantages to living NOW. I wear them all day every day. This Forum is another. (Maybe I shouldn't check it out every day, but I do.)

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
IMO Bridgedale socks are one of the great advantages to living NOW. I wear them all day every day. This Forum is another. (Maybe I shouldn't check it out every day, but I do.)
Ahhhhhh, but as long as you change those SOCKS every day too...........!
;)

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ahhhhhh, but as long as you change those SOCKS every day too...........!
;)
I don't think I could cope with changing Forums (Fora?) every day. For me diabetes is enough excitement without that.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So....

I went back to work today, and there was a box of Things with a note saying "All free to a good home".

There was a skipping rope looking very lonely, so it's come home with me. Either the kitchen or my bedroom has enough room for me to do some basic skipping until I've got a bit more skill and confidence back and can venture out into the garden. (That'll cause some entertainment for my neighbours).

Whilst I am seriously out of practice, I've managed several lots of 20 turns of the rope, both forwards and backwards. I did used to really enjoy skipping when I was but a small Japes, but was kind of shamed out of it as I got older on the grounds it was for little girls to do. Now I know much better.

Walking and skipping. Coo...

Reactions: Polgara

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The 3,151,680 steps that I did last year between mid June and December have seen off my lovely blue boots! Still - an excuse to buy a new pair!

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just off to return the unworn pair of new boots once I've printed out the receipt. Lesson well and truly learned about ordering boots on-line without having tried them on first. The worn pair will do for shorter walks, probably mostly country walking, but not longer ones on pavements which most of my walking is. Still, means a nice long walk between the various boots selling shops.

The skipping is proving fun... though not to be done before I've done some walking to warm up.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
2 pairs of new boots, of my tried and tested variety, ordered. Apparently there has been a supply problem with that size for a month or so, as they've been on back order, but they will let me know as soon as they are available.

Other lesson well and truly reinforced is to go to my lovely little independent Army and Navy type store first for boots, fleeces, coats, and travel mugs. No other place in the whole wide world does them best.