Surprised! Hurt my hand and diabetes didn't care.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Did the machine have a guard on it stop those type of incidents such as yours?
It did and it worked. Still was stuck by the time the machine knew something was wrong though. There is no fool-proof way of guarding against stupid. But very happy it turned off before doing worse damage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snapsy

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I fell off my bike when a dog ran in front of me in the park - rolled off and laughed, got up and checked bike - dog's owner rushed up and expected blood and broken bones - I was fine. So the day has dogs hurtling about not a problem if you don't take it personally. Maybe if I'd tried to resist the great hairy galumphing edjit then I'd have fallen harder, but I just went with it. Obviously your day has been one of the same sort, a dodged the bullet or the dog or got the hand out undamaged day - we can all be thankful for those days.

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh no! Ewww that sounds disgusting, hope everything's still working ok!!! At least your blood sugars were good despite the mangled hand! Get better soon, and maybe don't do finger pricks on those fingers for a little - they've had enough trauma ;)

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lots of dogs hurtling about in my house so I'll be extra careful today. Especially near the stairs!

Good! If they don't somehow bite your hand off they will be a nice source of comfort. Nothing like a couple of furry friends to cheer you up when you're not feeling so good.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh no! Ewww that sounds disgusting, hope everything's still working ok!!! At least your blood sugars were good despite the mangled hand! Get better soon, and maybe don't do finger pricks on those fingers for a little - they've had enough trauma ;)
At the moment it's hardly working at all (ever tried staring at a piece of cheese and not be able to cut off some slices?) but it'll be alright in time :) Got x-rayed today and nothing's broken :) But the poor mangled thing has to take all the finger pricks this week because I need the good hand to do the pricking. And to make things worse, I only put in a new libre sensor yesterday-morning. On my left arm. So now I have to hold my phone in the sore hand to be able to scan it :(

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
At the moment it's hardly working at all (ever tried staring at a piece of cheese and not be able to cut off some slices?) but it'll be alright in time :) Got x-rayed today and nothing's broken :) But the poor mangled thing has to take all the finger pricks this week because I need the good hand to do the pricking. And to make things worse, I only put in a new libre sensor yesterday-morning. On my left arm. So now I have to hold my phone in the sore hand to be able to scan it :(
That might not be a bad thing - assuming that it is not anything requiring fine motor skills, but a little lifting and moving of a swollen extremity is supposed to be good therapy - except where blood poisoning is suspected (my fathers family on the female side have a strong association with nursing and midwifery - someone had to stop the doctors killing off the community).

Reactions: Antje77

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So now I have to hold my phone in the sore hand to be able to scan it
I use the Libre reader rather than my phone, but if I can't get to my hand to use the reader, I pop it on my desk, turn it on and then take my arm to the reader rather than the reader to my arm. Would that work with your phone?
:)

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That might not be a bad thing - assuming that it is not anything requiring fine motor skills, but a little lifting and moving of a swollen extremity is supposed to be good therapy - except where blood poisoning is suspected (my fathers family on the female side have a strong association with nursing and midwifery - someone had to stop the doctors killing off the community).

In my continued quest to ignore life's little complications I discovered something neat about extremities, therapy and movement.

About 5 years ago I broke my hand at the base of my thumb, ( whilst playing indoor tennis with a cool 25 year old bass playing goth -long story). Anyway having fallen over I managed to hide the fact that my hand was actually broken for two weeks - didn't want to be stopped going into the pool whilst on holiday. Having finally decided my hand might drop off if I didn't get it fixed, following an extraordinarily painful encounter with a shopping trolley in Waitrose, I ended up with a cast . Still wanting to look cool myself I decided it was perfectly possible to play the recorder whilst wearing a cast and thus did a lot of finger wiggling of the bits that would wiggle.

When they took the cast off it turned out that everything had healed perfectly - my consultant told me that he had been fully expecting the break to need a pin due to my age and the time delay in actually getting it fixed. He was most impressed that recorder playing had worked so well.

From that point on I resolved that wiggling things about a bit when broken was a good plan - and have employed it to good effect on the various other things I have broken since - which are rather more than a woman of my uncertain years should have endured. (note to self - stop competing with 25 year olds- goths or otherwise)

[On reading through this particular diatribe prior to posting, I am rather left wondering in which universe actually playing a recorder with or without a broken hand could be considered cool in any event . oh well ! ]

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just been to Morris practice - Anonymous morris in Poole, practice in the winter and dance weekends either indoors or when the weather is good. I go out to schools and play recorder, for longsword and Maypole, I also play drum and melodeon, and I really must get back to guitar and possibly violin, but the recorder, as a 'got all the notes in there somewhere' instrument is very useful. I am lucky in that, having Viking ancestry and my father and brother both having Dupeytren's contracture my hands are still supple.

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That all.sounds very painful!

I had my carpel tunnel fixed on my right hand just before Christmas. For the first couple of days my bgl was fine. And then I got up one morning and it was 9.4. One of my highest ever. And no matter what I did or ate it stayed high. Yesterday it was in the 6s. And today it was 5.4. Maybe I just have delayed reactions and it takes my blood some time to catch up with the rest of me!

Bit put out because I have an hbalc coming up as I am due to start an xpert course and my bgl and last hbalc was fine.