Type 2 journey... 3 years in

MikeZ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here's the short version of my ride:

Nov. 2014: No sign of diabetes. Put on a high dose of a statin, (Lipitor).
Feb. 2015: HbA1c of 9.5. Put on Metformin. Began vigorous diet and exercise regime. Quit Lipitor.
May 2015: HbA1c = 6.0. Quit Metformin
By this point I had lost 45 pounds
Nov 2015 thru end of 2016: HbA1c = 5.7
Jan. 2018 I have gained back most of the weight and my HbA1c is 6.4% which I guess puts me at the top end of prediabetes.

I visit the doctor on Friday to discuss these and other results. My cholesterol numbers are have been bad throughout however I will refuse to go back onto a statin. I imagine my BP will be up and I "might" consider BP meds. I will probably agree to going back onto Metformin.

I remain convinced that Lipitor played a significant role in the onset of my Type 2 diagnosis and I will not consider resuming it or any other statin. I don't even know if my Cholesterol numbers are really that bad. For the record they are:

Chol = 254 or 6.57
HDL = 42 or 1.086
Tri = 201 or 2.27
LDL = 172 or 4.45

I'm told that my high readings are hereditary. Are these numbers outrageous?

Has anyone had bad side effects from BP lowering medication? Is there a reasonable cholesterol lowing alternative to statins, aside from diet etc...?

Last edited:

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't even know if my Cholesterol numbers are really that bad. For the record they are:

Chol = 254 or 6.57
HDL = 42 or 1.086
Tri = 201 or 2.27
LDL = 172 or 4.45

For those puzzled by these figures the first stated are US (mg/dl) and the second are UK (mmol/L)
Cholesterol translates from US to UK by dividing by 38.6
Triglycerides translate by dividing by 88.5

What these figures do is give a US trigs/HDL ratio of 4.8, and a corresponding UK ratio of 2.09
Put either way this ratio is too high,due to trigs being too high.
Here's a US doctor talking US ratios
https://www.drsinatra.com/the-most-important-cholesterol-ratio-to-watch
and another doctor talking both US and UK ratios.
https://www.docsopinion.com/2014/07/17/triglyceride-hdl-ratio/
It seems the amount of cholesterol is less important than what size particles it's made up of, so here's the good news :

"it has been found that the TG/HDL-C ratio can predict particle size. One studyfound that 79% of individuals with a ratio above 3.8 had a preponderance of small dense LDL particles, whereas 81% of those with a ratio below 3.8 had a preponderance of large buoyant particles." (NB reference to ratios is to US figures)

HTH
Geoff

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Personly I am happy to remain on Metformin for life, as it does not give me any side effects, is this an opiton for you?

Reactions: dbr10

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is really important for diabetics to keep blood pressure under control. I have been taking blood pressure tablets for over 10 years have never had any side effects from them

Reactions: dbr10

MikeZ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the replies. I will probably go back on Metformin. I don't remember any side effects. I don't know what my BP is but, because life has been hectic as I've gained weight, I should be prepared for less than stellar results. As far as the cholesterol goes... I know it's high but is it ungodly high? I have a general sense that the folks that set the benchmarks are the same bunch that profit from the selling of the statins. I have become so staunchly "anti-statin" over the past few years that I don't even know if I'm being reasonable about it.

MikeZ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Quick follow-up after dr. visit.

He feels that my cholesterol numbers are of a higher concern than my pre-diabetes numbers. I refused his suggestion of resuming a statin regime and I told him why. He agreed that the previous statin use might well have contributed to the first onset of Type 2 but maintains that I was likely headed there anyhow.

I was worried that by taking the statins to help with my cholesterol, I would then trigger the Type 2 to re-establish and so on....

At the end I am now on BP meds as well as Metformin. I "might" consider a low dose of a statin sometime down the line.

For what it's worth.... My doctor claims that there are other ways to lower your cholesterol numbers but that those ways do not really solve the problem... as it's not really the high readings but rather the "binding agent" associated with the high readings that the statins address.

I believe that he is sincere but I don't know if he's correct.

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Quick follow-up after dr. visit.

He feels that my cholesterol numbers are of a higher concern than my pre-diabetes numbers. I refused his suggestion of resuming a statin regime and I told him why. He agreed that the previous statin use might well have contributed to the first onset of Type 2 but maintains that I was likely headed there anyhow.

I was worried that by taking the statins to help with my cholesterol, I would then trigger the Type 2 to re-establish and so on....

At the end I am now on BP meds as well as Metformin. I "might" consider a low dose of a statin sometime down the line.

For what it's worth.... My doctor claims that there are other ways to lower your cholesterol numbers but that those ways do not really solve the problem... as it's not really the high readings but rather the "binding agent" associated with the high readings that the statins address.

I believe that he is sincere but I don't know if he's correct.
Loads of threads about stations. Give a few a read.
A personal choice.
For me I can get below 4.0 without statins but many cannot. Any have very high hereditary risks with uncontrolled cholesterol even on stations.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@MikeZ
What detailed cholesterol number does your doctor not like?

I think it will turn out in a few year time that the "binding agent" is driven by high BG and/or high insulin levels, we know that both of these are reduced by low carb diets. But the "binding agent" is not yet understood by science, but if statins work, its due to some reasons other the lowering total cholesterol.

Reactions: ziggy_w and MikeZ

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm led to believe inflammation is a big marker for cardiologist. Statins are prescribed.

Reactions: MikeZ

MikeZ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ringi and ickihun,

I am trying to find info on what really constitutes "high" cholesterol readings. I know what my numbers are but I don't know how they compare to others. It's self-serving for the drug companies to set a low threshold and I'm suspicious of them by nature. The reason that I posted my numbers above were to get some insight as to just how bad those reading really are.

I do NOT want to begin another statin regime unless/until I am convinced that it is the right thing to do... for me. I am not afraid of drugs. I am very suspicious of those that peddle them...

P

pollensa

Personly I am happy to remain on Metformin for life, as it does not give me any side effects, is this an opiton for you?
Hello,

Have you thought about what Metformin may be doing to other parts of your organs kidneys and other. Just because you don't have side effects, you are taking a synthetic drug that originally as I understand was for cholera also.

I shuffles as I understand not a doctor but from good researches, the sugars around and does not get rid of them, it allows people to continue to eat carbs, surely its only common sense if one loves ones body to cut carbs out instead, also what happens when the next A1C comes around, it may well show good results lower but think hard and deep, why is this, as the reading is false, as its metformin that is giving a low reading, but your diabetes is still there and probably not getting better, surely again, its better to change lifestyle cut carbs, intermittent fast and when you have a new A1C and its is good results that's when to be truly happy as you know you did this, your body did this naturally.

But well, if your happy to continue for life, I wish you the very best of luck you will need it in my personal opinion.

Mallorca

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If Metformin is good enough for Tim Noakes, it is good enough for me, given he has done more then anyone else to get "low carb" accepted for the control of Type2. Anyway just read the recent research that shows Metformin reduces cancer and strokes etc regardless of A1C level.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
@pollensa Metformin is not prescribed to allow T2s to eat as many carbs as they like.
Metformin has little effect on lowering bg, rather it acts to curb liver dump, is a mild appetite suppressant and affords some protection to the organs.

Everything we put into our mouths has risks, be it quantitative or as a result of individual intolerance.