Eyesight issues?

h4kr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been diagnosed t1 for the last 2 weeks, when I got diagnosed my long distance focus was completely shot - I’ve been told because I was so high.
As I’ve come down over the last 2 weeks my focus long distance has come back. Now I can’t focus on anything close, I’m struggling to read my phone and labels on food packets, etc.
Is this normal? I have a call with the DSN tomorrow so will mention (have had a headache for weeks too - possibly eye strain?)
Should I be worried..

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Please go and have an eye check, they will advise you.
Hopefully as your blood sugars normalises your vision will return more to normal.
Do keep us updated
Take care

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I don't know how old you are, but it could also be that your short distance is going just because of your age (50 seems to be a milestone for reading glasses I'm afraid). Having said that, I wouldn't be buying any more glasses until your diabetes has had more of a chance to stabilise (well maybe a very cheap pair of reading glasses from the chemist!) Good luck

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had this on diagnosis. A nightmare! Bought a pair of specs off the counter at Boots just so I could work (Teaching Assistant). Couldn’t drive though until my eyes settled down. Was told it was normal and everything would have settled in 3 months, but not to have them tested until then. Which it did. I found it the worst aspect of the whole diagnosis.

SKB_9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This happened to me when I was diagnosed last year, it settled down in a few days so don't worry. It was such a pain but the really poor sight only lasted a few days for me, although I'm sure there were less noticeable problems for a bit longer.

h4kr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok great.. thx for the replies! Hopefully it’ll sort itself out!

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Happened to me too. I was short sighted and prior to diagnosis suddenly got VERY short sighted - optician told me it was because I hadn't had an appointment for 2 years. Once I started on insulin my short sighted reversed very quickly and suddenly. For the first time in 35 years I could drive without glasses or lenses. Sadly 6 months after diagnosis I am now back to normal - but I did have t buy a random selection of contact lenses for my ever changing prescription.