can anyone anwer this please

sue.wright

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabeties
good morning everyone first time of posting but ii think this is an amazing website my name is sue and i have had a complicated time with my diagnosis from 2005 i went to see my g p after feeling tired but as as i have anemia i put it down to this i did a urine sample and i was sent down to the local diabetic centre withinan hour i was put on insulin by a nurse and sent home with; you have to take 16 units of novomix morning and afternoon i was very confused as i have always been a healthy weight no one in my family with it and did not know anyone with diabetes anyway after nearly killing myself on insulin i started to reduce my dosage after 3 months came off it on my own and my blood sugars were normal i then rang and made an appointment back at the diabetes clinic t o see a consultant he seemed quite surprised he asked if anyone had done any tests i said no he then sent me up to the hospital for the lucozade test and he did a c-peptide test that came back negative and he then said i was not diabetic???? i was fine for 6 yrs and then came home from work one night and felt tired again i still had a metre so checked blood sugars 27 i rang my out of hours and they advised me to go up to a and e they put me on an insulin drip within 5 mins my blood sugars had come down to 5 i was then asked to start on metformin i did this in 2011 and progressed after 4 yrs onto insulin novo rapid and lantus once a day i asked for a c peptide test to be done again and this time they have said i am definatley type 1 very confusing can you become type 1 after being diagnosed as type 2

Reactions: Liam1955

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Welcome @sue.wright to the Forum. :)
Other Type 1's will be along soon and will provide assistance.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Thats a long history to get to a T1 diagnosis!!
I've not known anyone personally to have a honeymoon period without the need for insulin for that long.

Normally if bloods are 27 they would not come down to normal range within 5 mins on being on a drip either.... but moving on how kong have you been on a bolus/ basal regime now?

Some people progress from being a T2 on pills to T2 insulin dependent and some are diagnosed wrongly but the time period isnt normally that long that I know of...

Are you ok in yourself taking your insulin regime now?

Reactions: Struma

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Oh and welcome!! Xx

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I suspect you are like me i.e. mis-diagnosed as T2 when actually in a T1 in the honeymoon period with high blood sugars. Many GPs don't understand that T1 can appear at any time of life and can come on slowly later in life. T2 doesn't become T1 but mis-diagnosis in common. The c-peptide test will show dropping insulin output as beta cells die-off.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m having GAD and C-Peptide tests done end of the month to find out if I’m T1.5 or not.

Best to find out sooner than later!

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. I suspect you are like me i.e. mis-diagnosed as T2 when actually in a T1 in the honeymoon period with high blood sugars. Many GPs don't understand that T1 can appear at any time of life and can come on slowly later in life. T2 doesn't become T1 but mis-diagnosis in common. The c-peptide test will show dropping insulin output as beta cells die-off.

From your experience, how was the transition from your honeymoon period to MDI with insulin?

How did it affect your lifestyle, eating, sports etc?

sue.wright

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabeties
From your experience, how was the transition from your honeymoon period to MDI with insulin?

Thank you for your question i felt completly inadequate i have had no support apart from my dietician i felt that i feel that this disease has completly taken over my life it controls me not the other way round i am terrified of hypos it has changed me i was very outgoing and happy; traveled the world now i am focused all the time on this i amfrightened of going swimming in case i have a hypo i wont go near water i have even seen a physcologist but did not help

sue.wright

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabeties

hi diabell
sorry for the late reply i cant understand how it went away for 6 yrs and then came back i am very underweight as every time i ate i felt ill so basically stopped eating

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
If your blood tests say type1 then you are
However in my experience type1s had severe changes in bgs even on insulin. Type2s because they can still have some insulin floating around for a while then at first their variables come on slower than type1s.

sue.wright

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabeties
Thats a long history to get to a T1 diagnosis!!
I've not known anyone personally to have a honeymoon period without the need for insulin for that long.

Normally if bloods are 27 they would not come down to normal range within 5 mins on being on a drip either.... but moving on how kong have you been on a bolus/ basal regime now?

Some people progress from being a T2 on pills to T2 insulin dependent and some are diagnosed wrongly but the time period isnt normally that long that I know of...

Are you ok in yourself taking your insulin regime now?
thank you

sue.wright

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabeties
If your blood tests say type1 then you are
However in my experience type1s had severe changes in bgs even on insulin. Type2s because they can still have some insulin floating around for a while then at first their variables come on slower than type1s.

thank you liam