Christmas Over Indulgence

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had an extended wobble from November at the last tournament of the year and somehow managed to have the strength to refuse a few things at Christmas, but I enjoyed the festive season for sure.

BUT - I have also invested in a treadmill and spin bike, and I am about to start my full season on the tennis-journalism circuit as a diabetic... so it is time to focus.

I know what I will be doing to make the daily allowance on my accreditation last a little longer, and because my accreditation came late I had to opt for a more expensive serviced apartment which has a gym which is a bonus for me as I usually stay in an AirBnB. While I hate walking for no purpose... it is central enough for me to walk to the tournament every day which should be a good 30-40 minutes.

Get back on the horse... because you are not alone and you certianly won't be the last person to have a wobble!
Your exercise plans sound brilliant - and practical. Reading this is inspiring me to work harder at exercise in 2018. Thanks!

Reactions: Freema

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: Motherhen2014

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I made a conscious decision to put my diet on hold from Christmas to New Year. I have been eating cream, butter and cheese, which I normally don't touch all year round unless perhaps for a big celebration like a wedding or something. I'm not really supposed to have them at all as I am in the "10 year heart risk" category for cardiovascular disease. But I have to have a life!
I used to eat a "heathy" low fat diet too, but now I am at risk of diabetes I need to eat low carb, and as I am very under-weight eating low carb AND low fat would mean starving myself. I do know that eating carbs raises my blood glucose, (I have seen the evidence on my meter) but I am no longer sure saturated fats are harmful. There have been a lot of claims lately that they are not. So personally I am eating cheese, butter and cream to replace the carbs I have given up and am just hoping for the best as regards heart disease (which is rife in my family). As you say, we do have to have a life, and we do have to eat SOMETHING!

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
) but I am no longer sure saturated fats are harmful. There have been a lot of claims lately that they are not. So personally I am eating cheese, butter and cream to replace the carbs I have given up and am just hoping for the best as regards heart disease (which is rife in my family). As you say, we do have to have a life, and we do have to eat SOMETHING!
I have peripheral arterial diesease as well as T2 and started increasing my consumption of fats after reading up on the evidence, and there's a lot of it, that suggests that fats do not correlate with morbidity. My lipid profiles have improved and are good as has my blood pressure which has fallen from 'high' to 'high normal'.
My diet is LCHF and seems to be working from the diabetic perspective as my HbA1c has been showing a steady reduction.

Reactions: ianpspurs

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve done the same thing! Don’t worry too much just get back on track. I’ve had nearly a week off low carbs but haven’t gone too mad but have had things I should eat.. a handful of maltesers, bowl of trifle, Pringles, Apple crumble.. made sure I had a run on treadmill after or a dog walk but xmas day I tested 13.2!! Highest I’ve ever been since I had the machine. Today I am averaging 7.1. I think most people slip at Christmas.. don’t beat yourself up too much. It’s a new day tomorrow. X

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Provided you can scrape up the cash to pay for a tub of 50 strips (£7.75 from Spirit Health Care for the TEE2 meter) http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product-category/shop/tee2/
I don't see how your doctor can stop you. You don't even have to tell him you are testing if you don't want to. It's your life!
Agree 100% with this. I started using a Freestyle Libre flash glucose sensor and when I went in to get him to sign a certificate for me to fly with it, he basically told me I had wasted my money and all I had to do was take tablets.

In three months I almost halved my A1C. If I have to scrimp and save to keep on using it to get my levels down to a a number where I can come off Metformin, then I will, regardless of what my GP thinks I should be spending my money on!

Bigbassett_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yup. My first Christmas diagnosed too. Did the same. 5 bowls of trifle Christmas day. Luckily went back to only 10 on a morning.
Got it back under control now 6.2 average morning.
Don't be so hard on yourself. It's done. Now bang straight back and all we can do is learn from it.
I plan one naughty day next Christmas instead of a week.

Good luck

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also fell of the waggon But well maybe deliberately and also had a vacation from fitness 17 days off , and now back to everyday routine all my body aces from todays fitness , But well it felt good to use my body and eat lots of cheese and coconut oil and green curry with lots of cream This night .... the everyday life also has its charme ,, But it is What we do between new years eve and Christmas that matters not What we eat between Christmas and new years evening

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People shouting while on their phones.
Provided you can scrape up the cash to pay for a tub of 50 strips (£7.75 from Spirit Health Care for the TEE2 meter) http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product-category/shop/tee2/
I don't see how your doctor can stop you. You don't even have to tell him you are testing if you don't want to. It's your life!
Thank you for your reply I have done just that my tester strips are ordered and waiting for them.I will be testing now everyday.
Thank you so much for this.
X

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for your reply I have done just that my tester strips are ordered and waiting for them.I will be testing now everyday.
Thank you so much for this.
X
In my experience you won't have to wait long for your supplies from Spirit Healthcare. I have ordered from them many times and have always found them very prompt. Good luck with your testing.

Reactions: Motherhen2014

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
n three months I almost halved my A1C. If I have to scrimp and save to keep on using it to get my levels down to a a number where I can come off Metformin, then I will, regardless of what my GP thinks I should be spending my money on!
One of my GPs recently tried to dissuade me from testing by telling me I would make my fingers sore!!! She is extremely hard-working, kind, conscientious but I do wonder if she realises that I am 75 years old and might be expected to make that kind of decision for myself.

BTW why are you so keen to come off Metformin? I'd love to try it, but they won't give it to me as my levels are not considered bad enough.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have peripheral arterial diesease as well as T2 and started increasing my consumption of fats after reading up on the evidence, and there's a lot of it, that suggests that fats do not correlate with morbidity. My lipid profiles have improved and are good as has my blood pressure which has fallen from 'high' to 'high normal'.
My diet is LCHF and seems to be working from the diabetic perspective as my HbA1c has been showing a steady reduction.
That's encouraging for me, as I am currently awaiting the results of a recent A1c and lipids test. As my GP is very concerned about cholesterol and not at all about bg, increased triglycerides would be an embarrassment. And, I have to say, a worry. As for the A1c, I have no idea how that will come out as I was doing relatively well in November but have been ill in December and obliged to take some drugs that can increase bg and my home test results have deteriorated. In some ways a false high A1c would be helpful, as if I qualified as pre-diabetic my GP might take me more seriously. On the other hand it would not help me to maintain that my current LCHF diet is effective.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I consciously take Xmas day and Boxing Day off my normally 'highly restricted' LCHF/ketoish diet. And as family and friends leave behind carby food that is very very hard for me to resist, it seems to extend into the whole week into new year. Later this year I might just say I'm going high carb for the week instead!

It makes Xmas dinner a really fun social experience, and a huge relief to be eating what everyone else does. It also gives me a tremendous feeling of respect and awe about the fact that I don't do this on practically every other day and week of the year! And, respect and awe at the power of sugar (as in being addictive), and the joys of carby endorphins (as in - they really are joyous!) in desserts and snacks. And then I get reacquainted with the awe at our bodies and their sensitive hormone and regulating systems, and how when it goes wrong, boy does it go wrong (hello T2D!)

Does my body pay for the week of high carbs and sugar? Yes. Normally an indulgence, like some popcorn, is no too big deal, not so after the carb overload.

But enter fasting as a getting back on track method of 'tight control' maintenance.

And yes, I really wish my old friend who visited didn't leave that cashew chocolate brittle in the fridge for me to find! Egads. But on the same principle, I realise how close to being like a recovering alcoholic someone like me is with sugary treats. And reacquaints me with respect for that power of sugar. And that we should respect it and fear it for what it can do to our health, for sure. Puts it back into perspective for me. Helps me with diabetes burnout. And makes Xmas to New Year week a real treat.

Yeah - all that for big carbs for a week! Works for me. :).

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I

It makes Xmas dinner a really fun social experience, and a huge relief to be eating what everyone else does. .
Sounds like you have a good attitude to eating as a shared social event. Christmas has really helped me to focus on what I really enjoy eating and make decisions about what I am prepared to raise my carb intake for. As an example although my bg levels were ok after mince pies I am pretty certain I never need them in my life again. Panetone will be a Christmas treat from now on as will Delia's Yorkshire pudding cooked under Beef rib.
I think the main point is to be aware of the pleasure food brings when shared with family and friends and enjoy the feeling of being master of what is available not servant. The alcohol comparison is very helpful.
Happy New Year everyone.

Reactions: AloeSvea and Sue192

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you ever see the Simpsons episode where Homer had pasted over the company slogan with pictures of Maggi so that it read 'do it for her'?
I have a baby grand daughter (and three grandsons) and it is amazing how easy it is to stick to the program. I never knew that I had so much in common with Homer Simpson.

Reactions: AloeSvea

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One of my GPs recently tried to dissuade me from testing by telling me I would make my fingers sore!!! She is extremely hard-working, kind, conscientious but I do wonder if she realises that I am 75 years old and might be expected to make that kind of decision for myself.

BTW why are you so keen to come off Metformin? I'd love to try it, but they won't give it to me as my levels are not considered bad enough.

Hahah as if you can’t work out for yourself that sticking your fingers daily might hurt!

Just as some people on the regular metformin have stomach issues, the slow release stopped those but now I am blocked solid frequently which can be just as uncomfortable and it is not a pleasant situation to be in with so much travelling.

Also, I have no desire to be on tablets for the rest of my life... I am closing in on 50 and I don’t want to be on these for the next 20 or so years if I can help it. I also have no love for the idea of my diabetes progressing with no check or balance to eventually require insulin, so my aim is to somehow manage it so I stay in range of more normal blood sugar levels and eventually don’t need it.

I dom’t believe I will ever ‘reverse’ it, but to put it into remission and manage to keep it that way is the target. I acknowledge it may never happen, but I will give it a **** good go, given the challenges of working away almost every month once the tennis season starts.

I have promised myself that if I can get to at least pre-diabetic ranges this year, then I will ask at the next blood test of I can reduce to just one metformin SR and see how I manage. I have in occasion (when the metformin has jammed me up pretty solid) had to stop for a few days and then reintroduce, but at the moment (through scanning) my numbers have still jumped a little without it... so not quite there yet.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a baby grand daughter (and three grandsons) and it is amazing how easy it is to stick to the program..
Very similar set of circumstances to myself. I find sticking to the program quite easy with the kind of goals you outline but I am also aware of the need to continue testing which foods I genuinely want to eat but won't cause damage in terms of unacceptable bg levels ( for me 7.5 @ 2 hrs). I also don't want my grandchildren growing up in fear of whole food groups or having diet being the master of them rather than the servant. I see this as part of re-educating myself about where food sits in my life especially learning which of the amazing food choices we have in C21st UK I can enjoy whilst staying under my self imposed bg limit.
I think we are very much on the same page here. I just want my grandchildren's journey to be driven by them with rational choices informed by good, well analysed data.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just as some people on the regular metformin have stomach issues, the slow release stopped those but now I am blocked solid frequently which can be just as uncomfortable and it is not a pleasant situation to be in with so much travelling.
Thanks, that reply is very interesting to me as this is a problem I have myself frequently even without Metformin. In fact I have just come out of two days and nights of agonising, acute constipation and I have never felt nearer to suicide! No-one who has not suffered this problem has the faintest idea how awful it can be - I hadn't myself. So you have my sympathy! I had that tendency already, (possibly IMO as a diabetic complication, so I am hoping time with better bg levels may improve things). A course of Furosemide (diuretic) probably caused the acute episode.

I am used to the idea of taking pills. I am on Flecainide for life, and now have had to add Dabigatran, which is also known for causing stomach problems, but I have to be grateful for them as without them, especially the Flecainide, I would be in serious trouble. For my chronic constipation I use glycerol suppositories. They are just made of peanut oil, and they don't stay long in the body, so I don't think they can be harmful. For me usually they work like a charm. However, during the acute attack they completely failed me. I do regret having had to reduce the level of fibre in my diet in order to reduce the carbs. I try to take Maxicol regularly, but now I can't sprinkle it on my porridge I am struggling to find an acceptable way to consume it.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I add fibre to my salad by mixing it with the mayonnaise or coleslaw, or to scrambled eggs, just mix it in at the end of cooking.
I do have to be careful not to add too much though - I find that too much is as bad as not enough.

Reactions: ianpspurs