Introducing myself

Paulines7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Stuck up people. People who do not care about others. Racists. Intolerant people. Tories.
Hi everyone

I am 73 years old and live in a small peaceful village near Salisbury with my husband and 40 year old son. We have a 1½ acre garden and despite having a spinal disability and osteoarthritis, I enjoy growing my own fruit and vegetables and tending to my flower beds. I have a large greenhouse in which I grow chillies, peppers, tomatoes and cucumbers. I never get round to weeding all the beds but at the same time, having a large garden does keep me going.

I was diagnosed Type 2 in March 2014 and since then have followed a low carb high fat diet. I have managed to keep my HbA1c around 50 and still have a few treats now and again. My GP is happy with that and I do not take any medication for my diabetes.

I enjoy going out for meals and also having friends and family joining us at home for meals and a few glasses of wine. We often eat in our summerhouse or on the patio outside it, where we can enjoy the garden and the numerous birds that live within it. We have a 20 year old caravan which we tow all over the UK. We used to go to France but my husband has a few health problems so we now prefer to stay in this country where he has access to A&E if necessary. In November I started going to a pub quiz evening with my son and really enjoy it. I hate the winter with its dark mornings and evenings but at least the quiz gives me something to look forward to.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Same age as me! Sounds like you're doing all the right things so hopefully you can keep the HBa1C down.

Paulines7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Stuck up people. People who do not care about others. Racists. Intolerant people. Tories.
I realise I should have completed this when writing my previous post, so here goes:

What is your name? Pauline
- How old are you? 73
- Are you male or female? Female
- Which country are you from? UK England
- Which city/area do you live in? Salisbury
- Are you religious? No. I am an atheist.
- Pick three words to describe your personality. Loving, caring, gregarious.
- Do you have any pets? Two 4 year old tabby cat brothers Winston and William. Some old chickens that are mainly past laying. Some cockerels.
- Microsoft or Apple? Microsoft
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? Watching football. Newcastle United supporter.
- Do you get angry easily? No
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? No
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. Adele, ELO, Rod Stewart, Barry White, Elvis
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? Pop
- What is your favourite flag? An iris.... ha ha, they are also known as flags!!
- Ever gone camping? No
- Ever been in love? Yes
- Ever used fake tan? Yes
- Which countries have you visited? France, Greece, Turkey, Ireland. USA.
- Favourite city? Salisbury. On the whole I dislike cities.
- List your five favourite TV programmes. Only Connect. Not going out. Question Time. Would I Lie to You. Have I got News for you.
- List your five favourite films. The English Patient Captain Corelli's Mandolin, The Cinder Path, Pride and Prejudice(BBC) Persuasion(ITV)
- Are you wealthy? No
- Do you work? If so, as what? No
- List the subjects you study/have studied. BSc Hons in Geography with Environmental Studies 1998 OU Health Care 2002
- What do you like most about yourself? I am honest
- What do you like least about yourself? I am overweight

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hi and welcome. I love gardening too. Enthusiastic but very wild

Paulines7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you for your welcome Daibell.

Thank you too SueJB.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

You seem to have a good grip on this, and also a lovely life style. Just jump in and join us, and share your experiences or ask as many questions as you like. :)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi and welcome,

You seem to have a good grip on this, and also a lovely life style. Just jump in and join us, and share your experiences or ask as many questions as you like. :)
Thank you, I can control my sugars just fine. What I'd like to do is undo or reverse my diabetes. I recently tried fasting for 3 weeks but had to abort my fast 2 weeks in when my blood sugars dropped to 44 mg/dl. Sorry, I'm not sure what it is in your readings. 80 - 110 is considered normal here. Less than 70 mg/mg is discouraged and 50 is unacceptable. I was in my 50's for a week, 50 the lowest 52 - 56 mg/dl and then boom, 44. I've been down to at least 40 before but it was very scary and dangerous and yes I know. I was on meds and I went outside to do some welding. I stepped back to take a break and assess my work. I saw an uninvited animal in my yard and tossed a stone at it when my world changed before my eyes. The grass was black and white. I thought what the heck? Then I made a beeline towards my house but my vision got worse, the tree I looked at stretched as I moved my head away from it I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Lord only knows how I must have looked walking. I immediately made it to my refrigerator and started eating peanut butter and jelly out of the container with my fingers, I wasn't really thinking but rather acting on instinct. After consuming about half I decided to wash my hands and check my sugar. It read 40 mg/dl. I had to lay down and rest for about half an hour but I felt better after I woke. I rechecked my sugars again and it had risen to abort 140 mg/dl after that ordeal. So I've been up as high as 500 mg/dl and as low as 40 mg/dl. Now I'm normally about 98 - 100 mg/dl but still go up and down. I'm now on a mission to undo this cruel disease. I heard of Dr Fung from Canada has cured or reversed diabetes with a 3 week fast. I'll make another attempt this year. Good luck to all of you. God bless us all.

Reactions: Liam1955

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Type of diabetes
Type 2
If my numbers were normally 98-100 (5.44-5.55 in the UK) I'd be ecstatic.
In all fairness, I am very particular about my foods and eating habits. Either I grow my food or it has to be organic. I follow the Bible as for what we should eat. I don't eat pork, shell fish not fish without scales. I have chickens that are fed organic feed and goats also. I have a 12 foot by 80 foot vegetable area where I grow various veggies and I also have a grape vine, blackberry bush, various fruit and nut trees So between my animals, garden and trees I eat very well. I'm only needing a lady.

Reactions: LouWilk059

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In all fairness, I am very particular about my foods and eating habits. Either I grow my food or it has to be organic. I follow the Bible as for what we should eat. I don't eat pork, shell fish not fish without scales. I have chickens that are fed organic feed and goats also. I have a 12 foot by 80 foot vegetable area where I grow various veggies and I also have a grape vine, blackberry bush, various fruit and nut trees So between my animals, garden and trees I eat very well. I'm only needing a lady.
Sounds like the Garden of Eden. Be careful a lady doesn't get you thrown out of it!

Paulines7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you, I can control my sugars just fine. What I'd like to do is undo or reverse my diabetes. I recently tried fasting for 3 weeks but had to abort my fast 2 weeks in when my blood sugars dropped to 44 mg/dl. Sorry, I'm not sure what it is in your readings. 80 - 110 is considered normal here. Less than 70 mg/mg is discouraged and 50 is unacceptable. I was in my 50's for a week, 50 the lowest 52 - 56 mg/dl and then boom, 44. I've been down to at least 40 before but it was very scary and dangerous and yes I know. I was on meds and I went outside to do some welding. I stepped back to take a break and assess my work. I saw an uninvited animal in my yard and tossed a stone at it when my world changed before my eyes. The grass was black and white. I thought what the heck? Then I made a beeline towards my house but my vision got worse, the tree I looked at stretched as I moved my head away from it I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Lord only knows how I must have looked walking. I immediately made it to my refrigerator and started eating peanut butter and jelly out of the container with my fingers, I wasn't really thinking but rather acting on instinct. After consuming about half I decided to wash my hands and check my sugar. It read 40 mg/dl. I had to lay down and rest for about half an hour but I felt better after I woke. I rechecked my sugars again and it had risen to abort 140 mg/dl after that ordeal. So I've been up as high as 500 mg/dl and as low as 40 mg/dl. Now I'm normally about 98 - 100 mg/dl but still go up and down. I'm now on a mission to undo this cruel disease. I heard of Dr Fung from Canada has cured or reversed diabetes with a 3 week fast. I'll make another attempt this year. Good luck to all of you. God bless us all.

I believe you are in the USA X-Alexxander=X and your HbA1c readings are in mg/dl which are totally different to those used in the UK. Our results are now given in mmol/mol so 50 is the equivalent of 6.7%. My UK HbA1c of 50 mmol/mol is about the equivalent to 120mg/dl in the USA. Perhaps you read my first post and thought I lived in Salisbury in the USA rather than Salisbury in the UK!

Thank you all for the welcome that many of you have posted.

Reactions: Liam1955
Type of diabetes
Type 2
I believe you are in the USA X-Alexxander=X and your HbA1c readings are in mg/dl which are totally different to those used in the UK. Our results are now given in mmol/mol so 50 is the equivalent of 6.7%. My UK HbA1c of 50 mmol/mol is about the equivalent to 120mg/dl in the USA. Perhaps you read my first post and thought I lived in Salisbury in the USA rather than Salisbury in the UK!

Thank you all for the welcome that many of you have posted.

Thank you Paulines7, you are very kind.

Gollygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone, I'm a Pauline too I'm from Queensland Australia. I have type 1 diabetes and have had it for 32yrs. I had a lot of ups and downs but at present I'm just sick of being a diabetic. Anyone got any helpful hints please? Thank you in response x

Paulines7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi everyone, I'm a Pauline too I'm from Queensland Australia. I have type 1 diabetes and have had it for 32yrs. I had a lot of ups and downs but at present I'm just sick of being a diabetic. Anyone got any helpful hints please? Thank you in response x
Just enjoy your life, Pauline. You never know what is around the corner. Do those things that you have always wanted to do. I started quizzing in a local pub and really enjoy it. I have made many new friends too. I now wonder why I didn't do it sooner. When we can afford it, we go out for a pub meal. I find the people in charge very obliging and I have no difficulty getting something that fits my LCHF diet. I usually have steak and then ask for extra green vegetables or a bit of salad instead of chips or other potatoes. I do get tempted with a dessert but then it's not very often that we eat out so I make sure that I have very few carbs for breakfast and lunch that day. I am envious of you with the hot summer months. I hate these dark mornings and evenings. I can't go out and do gardening at this time of year as it is too cold and doesn't do my arthritis any good. You have the good weather so go out and enjoy it. Have a barbecue or invite friends for a social evening. If it was summertime here we would be out by the summerhouse with friends, sipping a glass of wine and eating something we enjoy. There are plenty of food choices out there for us diabetics. I assume you are on insulin being a type, so just work out how many carbs you will be eating, bolus for it and then enjoy yourself.

marvinlzinn1

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Welcome. I have no diabetes threat myself, but interested in natural solutions replacing medical procedures. (If I believed doctors I would have been dead already four times.) I am just a year younger than you, and most of my food all summer comes from my garden.

I just came to this site now to suggest an article I just read on the diabetes subject that someone may like to read:
Why Doctors In The Know No Longer Prescribe Metformin
vibrant-health-logo_sm.png

http://vibranthealthnetwork.com/gen...sid1=1476&sid2=102bcf52113ee4a3fcd475d203d9e1