New background insulin

mel1989d

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have today just been informed of a new background insulin called tresiba I was wondering if anyone else is on this as I am waiting on confirmation off my gp to go on it in the next few days.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes there are quite a few of us on it, do you have any questions that we may be able to help with? x

Reactions: himtoo

Kbarbaracollins_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have today just been informed of a new background insulin called tresiba I was wondering if anyone else is on this as I am waiting on confirmation off my gp to go on it in the next few days.

I’ve been on it a while now. I really like it and find it gives a flat profile overnight I don’t get hypos during the night now

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What is the difference between this and Lantus? Does anyone have a comparison link?

Reactions: kev-w

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What is the difference between this and Lantus?
I switched from lantus to tresiba 3 or 4 months ago. The main differences for me are:
1: No more risk of 'Lantus lows', the main reason why I switched insulins. I've only experienced one of these lows and that was quite enough, thank you.
2: Wonderful flat profile all day.
3: No more stinging injections.
4: I've been on lantus for half a year or so, and I started to get problems with my knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows and wrists, up to the point where I even avoided a trip to the kitchen if I could. Asked my doctor if it could be the lantus (had been googling), he said no and ordered various blood tests. Nothing came up. A few weeks later I switched to tresiba, thanks to being terrified of lantus after that hypo. The aches disappeared, leaving only the normal aches of a 40 year old overweight woman with a nasty bursitis.
5: Nothing happens when I take my before bed shot a couple of hours early or late, and I can even get away with an unexpected sleepover without it.

Reactions: PaulAshby

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was on Lantus and I experienced several hypos specially early in the morning!

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok so this may or may not be connected but I I've been on Lantus for about a week after 30 odd years of the 30/70 regime and I'm a pretty avid gym goer, I had some shoulder issues along the way but the last week or so my shoulders have been aching so much some nights I can barely sleep comfortably.

I don't know if this is Lantus related or something else. I've certainly not done any thing out of the ordinary at the gym to aggravate it.

scotteric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What is the difference between this and Lantus? Does anyone have a comparison link?

Lantus isn't really completely flat, it is compared to NPH but still has a curve and slight peak which causes lows for many . Tresiba is near-flat and lasts much longer as well. Lantus is supposed to last 24 hours but in reality this is only at very high doses. Tresiba lasts longer at lower doses and doesn't have to be taken at the exact same time every day since it lasts so long.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm supposed to be on Levemir.. but the hospital sometimes run out of levemir and replace my levemir with lantus.. i told my doctor about this and he said it's fine coz theyre the same.. but no, actually I got so many hypos around 3-6am everytime I take lantus.. i just wish the hospital always has levemir in stock so i dont have to deal with lantus..

Tresiba sounds wonderful..
But not available yet in Indonesia..
Gonna move to Australia soon, i dont know whether the tresiba available or not there

I would love to convert

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I don't know if this is Lantus related or something else. I've certainly not done any thing out of the ordinary at the gym to aggravate it.
Be aware that diabetics are particularly prone to getting frozen shoulders., which can come out of nowhere. You'd have to be pretty unlucky to get both going at once, though...

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's only the one tbh that's really bad the other sometimes twigs but both defo feel worst after starting the new regime.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a long time lantus user, coming to it from human insulatard from humilin i, I find it works for 24 hours or more and has an 18-20 hour peak, I no longer have waking hypos, but can be brittle late afternoon if busy.
My 'gripe' with lantus is occasionally it seems to work at around a 3rd strength and needing me to use more Humalog those days while cutting food intake.
Edit, I've had shoulder problems for a while and am a gym user.

PaulAshby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting stuff, especially the aching joint issue as my diabetes consultant asked me about this, might check this Tresiba out

Reactions: Antje77