A Saturday Reflection.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
A Saturday Reflection.

After reading posts on the Forum for 3 years I see many different ‘types’ of poster. It got me thinking this morning after reading yet more ‘conspiracy’ theories on this and other forums so I thought I would post a lateral view.

I have always been a ‘fan’ of Elizabeth Kubler Ross. I read her model when I had great need of some form of help in the grief process and I have re-read and used it many times since. It not only pertains to grief but also to any of life’s traumatic processes such as illness....such as Diabetes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%BCbler-Ross_model

1.Denial.
We all started here. I don’t have it, it’s a mistake, wrong diagnosis etc. Eventually something jogs us into thinking, ‘ It is happening, what am I going to do about it ?

2.Anger.

Misplaced feelings of rage and envy. Any individual that symbolizes life or energy is subject to projected resentment and jealousy.

"Why me? It's not fair!"; "How can this happen to me?"; "Who is to blame?"

Here is where the conspiracy theorists come in.’ It’s not me so it must be someone else’s fault’. Who can I blame ? The HCP’s ? The Drug Companies ? This takes the onus from themselves to accept their part in the process.( For those with Type 1 then often the anger is directed at something that may have happened that they had no control or knowledge of in the first place such as an illness etc ).

3.Bargaining.

This is where they grab onto the ‘magic bullets’ or ‘snake oil ‘cures. Finding something that may ‘cure’ diabetes and thus save the problem of actually getting down to dealing with the problem and doing something pro active about it and accepting that we have Diabetes for life.

4.Depression.

A stage, unfortunately that can last a long time and also that can return again.

5. Acceptance.

Where we come to terms with our Diabetes and do our best to control it by changing lifestyle and accepting that we have to be the expert in our treatment and that it is our responsibility to look after ourselves.

If you read this and think, ‘ What a load of rubbish ‘ then all I ask is for you to sit and think for a minute..... None of us escape the grief process. Some go through the process quickly, some get stuck at one stage or another for a while. Are you one of those ?

It’s just another view on life as I have seen it.

jaykay

I'd agree in principle Sue. I find that most people go through this or similar for any kind of 'grief'. I was lucky in that, for whatever reason, I did '1',ignored 2 & 3, had 4 for about a day and found myself at 5 fairly quickly. Might be my personality, might be my old age :lol: , might be that I've always thought that if something isn't my fault exactly, then how I deal with it IS my responsibility. Everything changes, nothing is permanent for good or bad. It is always how you deal with life that writes your character.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Sue.

You know I'm an 'oddball'......... :wink: I read all that you posted and have to say, yet again I don't fit the 'mould !'

Basically, I was told I was Diabetic just before I was about to have an Op.......it was a surprise to say the least as I never fitted the 'stereotypical' T2. I was fit as a flea, healthy as a 'robbers dog' and hadn't got an ounce of fat on me ?? No history in the Family that I know of. A mystery. :?

All I did was think.....Ah, now there's a thing. :)

When I'm confronted by something, it's a challenge that's all. I just accept it and get on with it. Nothing to get too worked up about. So, I missed out on steps 1, 2, 3, and 4 and went straight to step 5. :)

That's what I have done all my life really. I think positively and setbacks don't have much of a place in my psyche ! I take the attitude that it is something to accept, get on with and deal with. Not a problem that I need to spend a great deal of time worrying about.

That's me........how I deal with things. What I am makes a big difference.......... :D I know others have difficulty with things such as this........it must be hard for some. :(

G4WIL

Similar here :)
However having had my allotted three score and ten plus a few years of someone else's ,I am a little philosophical about my type 2 diabetes .
1 I am not going to live for ever
2 The world is an overcrowded place
3 I now have 16 direct descendants with the potential for more.
I keep a few honey bees, Chide my children, criticise my grand children and love my great grand children to bits :D .
I have been teetering along the edge of diabetes for years, I know it to be progressive , but given my age and the slowness of this progression (with me), it's likely that old age will get me first !
I worry not , I watch my diet , I have a little tipple in the evening , I monitor my bg.
I am lucky that I have late onset diabetes and do feel for others in a far worse position than I .

John Wilkinson

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can see the pattern but for me it didn't happen like that - I was similar to Ken

1 Denial - I was in hospital very ill with something else and was diagnosed - wasn't surprised as in family and I have PCOS - and to be honest it was least of my worries so like Ken thought that's that then

Skipped 2, 3 & 4 and went straight to 5 - knew what I had to do because of my dad and the way he controls his carbs and has done since diagnosis 20 odd year ago. stayed like this for about 16 months

THEN hit 4 with an almighty whack - I have just gotten through a bout of depression - although I know its what has been happening in my life and not my diabetes that made me depressed, I acknowledge that as a diabetic you can be more susceptible to depression - I have been through loads of tough times but never got depressed before T2 - but this time I did - think I am out the other side now. But I never lost control of my db and I feel quietly proud of myself for that

jaykay

Good for you LL, you feel proud! When my son was 18 he became clinically depressed and I know how hard won every little victory was. Glad you're out the other side :D