Really Scared! :(

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your fasting glucose of 70mg/dl is 3.9mmol/l

Your HbA1c of 5.1% is equal to an average of 5.5mmol/l over the previous 2 to 3 months.

Absolutely no need to worry. You are nowhere near diabetic levels. Nowhere near.
What do you expect an OGTT to show that is any different?
What he said. In the medical business there used to be a term for this: "the worried well". I think the OGTT went out with cassette tapes!

Zmtawy123

Everyone must be thinking I'm mad, I myself think I'm slightly too, but IT'S JUST SO WORRYSOME.

I know my HbA1c and prick test turned out find, but a GP told me both aren't accurate diagnostic tools for diabetes. I could have a perfectly normal reading for both, yet suffer from the disease.

I get so scared because I'm exhibiting the symptoms:

Thirst/Dry Mouth (about 2 weeks now)
Tingling sensation in the fingers (past few days)
Hunger after eating (past 2 days)

I don't know how much of those are in my head because I've read and analysed so much, but I'm genuinely concerned.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Probably just heaty from all the noodles and chocolate.
Enjoy your holiday, try to eat more healthily and sleep more, and see how you get on.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
None of your symptoms suggest diabetes with a normal blood sugar and A1C. What's a "GP", a General Pain in the a#*?

Zmtawy123

Just wondering, what are the odds of the prick test and HbA1c both failing to detect a legitimate case of diabetes?

As we all know, the prick test isn't the most accurate, and the HbA1c uses the average amount over a period of time.

Say you just develop diabetes, for maybe 1 week or so, the HbA1c result is going to come back normal because it averages out the normal levels before you develop diabetes, right?

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get so scared because I'm exhibiting the symptoms:
Thirst/Dry Mouth (about 2 weeks now)
Tingling sensation in the fingers (past few days)
Hunger after eating (past 2 days)
Just wondering, what are the odds of the prick test and HbA1c both failing to detect a legitimate case of diabetes?
As we all know, the prick test isn't the most accurate, and the HbA1c uses the average amount over a period of time.
Say you just develop diabetes, for maybe 1 week or so, the HbA1c result is going to come back normal because it averages out the normal levels before you develop diabetes, right?
I don't know how much of those are in my head because I've read and analysed so much, but I'm genuinely concerned.
You've said you had these symptoms for awile, not just a week. You seem obsessed with your having diabetes and there is no evidence that you have it. The question is: has anyone made any attempt to attribute these to something besides diabetes?

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone, chanced upon this site and have been reading it for about a week, so glad to have a platform to share everything and get encouragement. My situation right now has me in constant fear and possibly anxiety attacks, and I pray nothing's wrong with me.

Little bit of about myself:

Race: Asian Chinese (Singaporean)
Height: 1.73m
Weight: 65kg
Non-smoker

I have been experiencing thirst for about a week or so, and am not sure if it's purely psychological and anxiety, or something that requires more attention. As you can see above, my height and weight gives a decent BMI reading and I'm not obese. I do have a bit of tummy though. As far as I am aware, there is also no family history of Diabetes.

The thirst and urination (probably due to me consuming more fluids) irritated me so much I visited a clinic and had a fasting prick test and urine test done. Glucose in urine is NEGATIVE and the fasting blood glucose is 5.5. Doctor assured me I was alright, and is paranoid, but I've read online (sigh the easy access to medical information also means self-diagnosis for worrywarts like me) that 5.5 is bordering prediabetes.

Also, I have a terrible diet, and sleep really late every night. While I don't smoke nor consume alcohol, I binge on junk food like potato chips, ice cream and chocolate on a very regular basis.

The thirst have been persisting for a week now, and I'm really worried. Have made an appointment with the doctor's for a more thorough blood test tomorrow morning, he mentioned HbA1c, and until the results are out, I can only keep worrying and scaring myself.

I have an upcoming vacation that's booked, and really really really adore desserts like ice cream and cakes. Would this mean I could never have those again if I were indeed diagnosed with diabetes? Anyone able to advise if the initial urine and prick test results are indicative?

Thanks so much in advance.

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Can you please share those low carb cakes and ice cream recipes please darling?

Thank you!
don't worry, I'm a type i diabetic my partners a type 2 we both eat everything like you, my diabetic nurse said tou can eat anything you like , but small qtys

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
don't worry, I'm a type i diabetic my partners a type 2 we both eat everything like you, my diabetic nurse said tou can eat anything you like , but small qtys

I wouldn’t take your DN’s advice to “eat anything you like even in small amounts”.

It’s a wrong advice!

I could be eating cakes and chocolates in small quantities and that would seriously damage my health as a diabetic!!!

Please take note that DN’s are NOT advocates of a low-carb, high fat diet and are NOT experienced nutritionists.

The current NHS guidelines on what they call “healthy eating” (low-fat, high carb diet) has actually damaged so many people!

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diet/low-carb-diabetes-diet.html

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
At the VA Hospital I work at we have Type 2 diabetics who take both metformin and glipizide and run A1C's of 11 on a decent diet. I'd say at least half of them end up on Lantus/Novolog to control their blood sugars. These are typically adult males in their 60's. Many are overweight.