Type 1 Am I doing something wrong?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It feels like I’m doing something wrong...
I’m taking so much insulin, but blood levels don’t seem to be dropping at the minute... T1 for about 15 years...
Taking 44 units of tresiba at 1800
And a 7 day average of 53 units novorapid a day... such a thing as too much is a bad thing? Any advice would help lol, thanks!

Reactions: Snapsy

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It feels like I’m doing something wrong...
I’m taking so much insulin, but blood levels don’t seem to be dropping at the minute... T1 for about 15 years...
Taking 44 units of tresiba at 1800
And a 7 day average of 53 units novorapid a day... such a thing as too much is a bad thing? Any advice would help lol, thanks!

I won't comment on your condition or approach, as I'm not an insulin user, but my post will push this up the list for folks to see.

I hope you feel better soon.

Reactions: bradley_smasher

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dr. Bernstein talks about 'the laws of small numbers', and some of his ideas may be applicable or useful in your case. I'm not type 1 so I wouldn't presume to advise you myself, but Dr. Bernstein is a type 1 expert, and I can vouch for his T2 information being helpful and worthwhile, so if you haven't read any of his stuff before, he may be worth a look.
In any event, the best of luck to you!

http://www.diabetes-book.com/laws-small-numbers/

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dr. Bernstein talks about 'the laws of small numbers', and some of his ideas may be applicable or useful in your case. I'm not type 1 so I wouldn't presume to advise you myself, but Dr. Bernstein is a type 1 expert, and I can vouch for his T2 information being helpful and worthwhile, so if you haven't read any of his stuff before, he may be worth a look.
In any event, the best of luck to you!

http://www.diabetes-book.com/laws-small-numbers/

I shall read up! Thanks!

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @bradley_smasher , I'm a pumper these days rather than an injecter - but in my injecting days I would always have my favourite stab spots! I ended up with liperhytrophy - I think that's what it's called - lumpy bumpy rubbish-absorption areas that were simply black holes for insulin!

Are you rotating your sites? Might be time to find some fresh meat to inject into if you're finding the insulin isn't doing its job.

Do bear in mind though that everybody's different and some of us simply do need more insulin than others. It depends on all sorts of things - I reduce my basal for exercise, increase it for illness, and of course my bolus doses are very much food-related - I don't eat a huge amount of carbohydrate and therefore my insulin doses are relatively low.

And of course insulin resistance can, I gather, affect type 1s as well as type 2s. Perhaps that might be a thing in your case.

:)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @bradley_smasher , I'm a pumper these days rather than an injecter - but in my injecting days I would always have my favourite stab spots! I ended up with liperhytrophy - I think that's what it's called - lumpy bumpy rubbish-absorption areas that were simply black holes for insulin!

Are you rotating your sites? Might be time to find some fresh meat to inject into if you're finding the insulin isn't doing its job.

Do bear in mind though that everybody's different and some of us simply do need more insulin than others. It depends on all sorts of things - I reduce my basal for exercise, increase it for illness, and of course my bolus doses are very much food-related - I don't eat a huge amount of carbohydrate and therefore my insulin doses are relatively low.

And of course insulin resistance can, I gather, affect type 1s as well as type 2s. Perhaps that might be a thing in your case.

Hi there! Thanks so much for taking time to reply :)
I’m actually quite good with site rotation, the only place I don’t use is my bum! Maybe time to make the effort with that... but I haven’t noticed any major problems on any sites, maybe slightly lumpy on thighs. Hmm.
The light at the end of the tunnel for me is that my omnipod set up is waiting at the clinic for me, so should be pumping soon! If they could just pull their fingers out and get the appointment sorted... been waiting for bloody ages, and it’s been at the clinic since before Xmas!
With regards to resistance, I’ve been taking metformin to help with that, seemed to work for a bit, but seems to have tapered off a bit now!
Thanks again

Reactions: Snapsy

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi there! Thanks so much for taking time to reply :)
I’m actually quite good with site rotation, the only place I don’t use is my bum! Maybe time to make the effort with that... but I haven’t noticed any major problems on any sites, maybe slightly lumpy on thighs. Hmm.
The light at the end of the tunnel for me is that my omnipod set up is waiting at the clinic for me, so should be pumping soon! If they could just pull their fingers out and get the appointment sorted... been waiting for bloody ages, and it’s been at the clinic since before Xmas!
With regards to resistance, I’ve been taking metformin to help with that, seemed to work for a bit, but seems to have tapered off a bit now!
Thanks again
Oooooooooooh Omnipod! You'll never look back, I'm sure! Pumping changed my life after 29 years of type 1 - it's amazing the difference my Insight pump has made to my life!

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
As regards insulin resistance, I do find exercise makes quite a bit of difference to that - if I take enough exercise I'm fine but if I slack off then I do seem to need more insulin.