JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
What that article is saying is that in relation to diabetes- it is the nicotine alone that causes the problems, not smoking (obiously smoking has its own health drawbacks) and that would be no better off switching to vape in terms of risk of getting diabetes?

That's what I got from that short article - I don't know if that's a question or a statement but taken back by that fact if it's true-I'll interested in doing more research on it
Yes a recent study perports to have shown that it is the nicotine that does the damage as far as blood sugars are concerned so vaping is not a solution it would be best to give up all together easier said than done.

Though my grandson who vapes constantly is now using E liquid with zero nicotine.

I have decided that smoking is no longer an option for me and have set a date on which I will stop, I hasten to add that this is not a response to my grandsons constant nagging no really honestly it's not.

Reactions: Jared1

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think we all agree smoking is not good for us or for anybody. I smoked for over 40 years and the day I was told I had high blood pressure and to stop smoking was the best thing I could do for my health... I had not got diabetes then. That was enough for me to give up and I never smoked another cigarette from that day that was 12 years ago. I never used any nicotine aids to do it just chewed normal gum as something for my mouth to do. It was far easier to stop than I had ever imagined it could be and I wished I had done it years before I just needed that incentive to make me do it which I had never really had before

Reactions: Salvia

darenu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
After smoking for the majority of the last 35 years, I switched to vaping about 3 months ago (more precisely while withdrawing from Tramadol). Recently started reducing nicotine level which was pretty easy. Then last week I mislaid my device on a taxi ride home and decided I wouldn’t bother with vaping anymore and it’s been pretty straightforward.

I had tried vaping before but always just went back to the Marlboro Lights. This time tho, I also used a low strength patch for the first few weeks of vaping, which did seem to help.

Never stop trying to give up!

Reactions: Salvia

Tannith

BANNED
My mother said, in 1979 " you have to do it sometime so why not do it now?" ie before it has done any more damage. I agree with that and did then, but still did not manage to give up myself till 2000. After umpteen attempts - probably at least 20 serious attempts. In my opinion it got more and more difficult as time went on. Nicotine is apparently far more addictive than heroin, though some say it does less damage. Awful drug. My very best wishes to anyone trying to stop. Good luck. And has been said above, don't give up giving up.

tom58

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well over two thirds of the price of a packet of fags goes directly to the government in taxes. That was my main reason for giving up smoking many years ago. However, I did find that smoking would pick me up enough to go and eat or drink something sweet if my blood sugar was lower than 2.0. Has anyone else noticed this effect?

Mark_1

I know I’m only little (10) and shouldn’t really be talking about this but I was just wondering my aunt has type 1 (like me) and she smokes at least 7-10 times a day so if you do figure Something out please let me know best wishes

Lois xx

I think you should write your aunt a letter telling her how you feel and why you want her to give up. Put in an envelope, write her name on the front, give it to her and leave her alone to read it. Maybe she doesn’t know how important it would be to you. Ask her to keep the letter somewhere were she can re-read it each time she wants another cigarette.

Humma

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Its bad for every part of you

Attachments

• smoke.jpg
    smoke.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 227