Newly diagnosed 5yr old. Long standing T1s comment please?

mmariyamm

Im an Asian mother of newly dx 5 year old boy .. in order to manage my sons BG im constantly carb counting .. my concerns are ...#1 on a typical home cooked Asian diet i find tht 6-7 units of basal insulin and 2-3 units rapid acting per meal is sufficient . My query is wether i will need to increase these doses as he grows ?..... #2 im really concerned about his adolescent years esp puberty , fertility, potency , workplace efficiency etc .. i kindly request any type 1 who has been on insulin for 20+ yrs to kindly share his experience .. thx

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Im an Asian mother of newly dx 5 year old boy .. in order to manage my sons BG im constantly carb counting .. my concerns are ...#1 on a typical home cooked Asian diet i find tht 6-7 units of basal insulin and 2-3 units rapid acting per meal is sufficient . My query is wether i will need to increase these doses as he grows ?..... #2 im really concerned about his adolescent years esp puberty , fertility, potency , workplace efficiency etc .. i kindly request any type 1 who has been on insulin for 20+ yrs to kindly share his experience .. thx

@mmariyamm - You have tagged onto an old thread, but your own post would likely achieve better responses if it were a thread of it's own in the T1 area.

Would you like me to move it for you, to create a new thread? Just let me, or any Moderator know by tagging them. To tag a member, just type the @ symbol immediately before their user name, like this @DCUKMod .

mmariyamm

@mmariyamm - You have tagged onto an old thread, but your own post would likely achieve better responses if it were a thread of it's own in the T1 area.

Would you like me to move it for you, to create a new thread? Just let me, or any Moderator know by tagging them. To tag a member, just type the @ symbol immediately before their user name, like this @DCUKMod .

@DCUKMod

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @mmariyamm Although only 6 years diagnosed here - the advice is that yes his insulin requirements will change as he grows, so growth/weight, exercise and stress, hormones - all impact on insulin requirements. As a newly diagnosed mum my best advice is to get a copy of 'Think like a pancreas' which is written by a type 1. It's a good practical guide to understanding the role of insulin and all issues affecting it's effectiveness. The forum has a diverse member group with many parents of type 1 kids as well as 50+ diagnosed members, so a wealth of information, please feel free to ask if you need support. Best wishes J

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Hi mmariyamm, I had type 1 for 54 years before a pancreas transplant in 2013. Certainly insulin requirements changed hugely when I was eight years old, (having had it for just over 7 years at the time) but of course insulin was nothing like as sophisticated then. This was at a time when the idea of mixing fast and slow insulins in one glass syringe was quite new. As puberty hit, adjustment was much more frequent, probably due to several factors - the chemical changes in the body, stress caused by anxiety tends to activate adrenaline, which is designed to raise the blood sugar (basically flight or fight). Workplace efficiency obviously will be affected in some jobs more than others, but I have done heavy manual work (requiring more Carbohydrate) organbuilding, which often called for extra carbs, office work, which could mean talking to irate customers and therefore raising adrenaline/sugar levels and being a school teacher, so far for 23 years. This could affect my readings quite remarkably, especially when a virus stormed round the school. Even if I didn't outwardly show symptoms, my BG readings would suddenly soar. As for aggressive parents.... Provided you or your son are not prevented from testing regularly (I have in the past had strong arguments with pharmacies!),the peaks and troughs are certainly more surmountable than 40 years ago. I wish you both success and as smooth a ride as possible.

SHmano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey,

I have been on Insulin from the age of 7 and been on Insulin for the past 46 years. His insulin requirement will increase as he grows. He has to be trained to handle hypos and eat on time. He can have Carb contents and you have to put him on to the right track of diet.

Good luck.