Pre-conception vitamins

asyarlk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello and Happy New Year!

My husband and I are hoping to start a family this year and I want to be as healthy as possible and make sure I am taking everything that I need to.

I went to see my DSN and she said to take 5mg folic acid which I have now been taking for 2 months. I have also seen that some of you take Pregnacare. I have just been to Tescos and picked up the pre-conception one - is this okay to take? It has 400ug of folic acid in it and I don’t want to take it if I end up taking too much!

I’ve also started taking fish oils with 680mg EPA, 270mg DHA and 1.85mg vitamin E. Is it okay to continue with this?

Any pre-conception advice would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

Catherine4188

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello, the high dose folic acid is great, with pregnacare I asked my consultant, once pregnant, if it was ok to take my high dose folic acid and the pregnacare as I didn't want to over do it, he said not to worry as any excess folic acid would just be passed out in my urine. I used the ones which came with omega 3 tablets too. I didn't take anything else other than 75mg aspirin once I was pregnant as I was prescribed it.

Just eat well, take care of your mind and body and keep your hba1c low. Good luck with your plans and I hope you get what your hoping for. Take care. Xx

Reactions: asyarlk