Taste of salt in my mouth constantly.

Claire007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can anyone shed any light? I've had a really strong taste of salt in my mouth now for around 5/6 weeks. Some days it's worse than others. Today is really bad and I can't pin it down to anything BG related.
I don't know if it's diabetes related or not, it started before I went on the pump a few weeks ago.
I can remember having this before, and it eventually went away of its own accord, hence not bothering GP as I feel a bit daft presenting with a salty taste!
I feel like if you tested my saliva, it would come back 100% sodium. Nothing gets rid of it and it's driving me mad!
Any advice welcome.

You're all going to tell me to go to the GP aren't you? I know, I will, but in the meantime...............:)

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's from all the cussing you do. We call it potty mouth. LOL.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Altered unexplained tastes in the mouth can be cause by a few things, please do go back to your Dr as soon as you can and make him listen. Have you tried the general mouth washes .. they can sometimes help.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I don't know if it's diabetes related or not, it started before I went on the pump a few weeks ago.

It will only be a coincidence that it started around the same time as going on a pump, see your Dr about it and don't put it off any longer @Claire007

Good luck.

Claire007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've tried plenty of things, gum, mouth washes, spicy curries.........gin! :happy:
To no avail. I'm off work now for ten days so will get to the GP after the bank holiday.

Reactions: Dodo and noblehead

Claire007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for that link, very useful. Will raise it with GP and let you know what it is.

Reactions: azure

Arsenal79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can anyone shed any light? I've had a really strong taste of salt in my mouth now for around 5/6 weeks. Some days it's worse than others. Today is really bad and I can't pin it down to anything BG related.
I can remember having this before, and it eventually went away of its own accord, hence not bothering GP as I feel a bit daft presenting with a salty taste!
I feel like if you tested my saliva, it would come back 100% sodium. Nothing gets rid of it and it's driving me mad!
Any advice welcome.

You're all going to tell me to go to the GP aren't you? I know, I will, but in the meantime...............:)
Hi Claire007 did you manage to get this problem sorted has of the past couple of days I've noticed the same problem very bad taste of salt in the mouth and throat I do suffer from sinusitis problems and have read the link on your post saying it could be post natal trip and I hope your problem has been sorted has to mine have got an appointment with my gp next week to get it sorted

Claire007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In short no! It went of it’s own accord but now it’s back again. My dentist is referring me to the dental hospital, I’ve not had a referral letter yet but I’ll keep you informed.

Reactions: Arsenal79