health psychology, MSc student needs help!

justinebaron

Hello everyone!

I am a student from University of Nottingham, UK, and I am conducting a research on one of my biggest fields of interest : diabetes. In 2006 I spent a year working in Canada in a diabetes health education team, within a diabetes care unit in one of the main hospitals. I loved my work, found it very rewarding and saw the benefits of knowledge sharing and information giving when it comes to diabetes management. I was also very touched by every person’s story and observed just how important it was for everyone to meet other people going through the same challenges, exchanging thoughts and feelings about it, and helping each other find solutions.
This led me to become very interested in the role of social support in disease management. This research I am leading now as part of my MSc in Health Promotion and Psychology is about the importance and the influence that online social support can have on diabetes management. I have designed a survey and the Internet link to it is the following:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=2 ... 3Rqg_3d_3d

Please feel free to check it out and ask me any questions that may arise, I would be glad to answer them!
And please feel free to pass on this link to any person who suffers from diabetes and who participates in online support groups! I would be very grateful.

Justine Baron
MSc Health Promotion and Psychology
(0044)079 83631396
[email protected]

sofaraway

have filled in your survery.

the only comments I have is that on the question what type of diabetes do you have?
you only gave 2 choice type 1 or type 2. i have MODY so neither of these are truely appropriate. In the future 'other' as an option would give people like me the chance to answer more specifically.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Justine,
have just had a look at your survey and will respond this evening when I have more time. Just one point that I spotted - one question on testing asks how many days do you test, and the next question is how many days do you test as recommended by your health professional. The inference is that some people don't test as much as they should.

However, a major problem in the UK is the large number of GPs who refuse to allow their patients to test at all and will not prescribe test strips (generally on cost grounds). So it would be perfectly valid for many to say they test 7 days a week but 0 out of 7 days recommended (because the recommendation is don't test).

You might want to think about how you should interpret the responses to these particular questions.

chocoholic

That is a very valid point, Dennis and I answered exactly as you have said. Although I have strips, I have had no advice as to how often to use them, so I answered that I test 7 days a week but 0 days a week recommended by my diabetes nurse.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Survey completed. Good luck to you.

justinebaron

Thank you all for answering my survey! I am very grateful for you taking the time to fill it in, and to take the time to give your comments about it, excellent!They will definitely be taken into account!
You are right, part of the survey was what we called "standardized questionnaires", questionnaires that were designed by researchers, that are used worldwide in this field now, and that need to be scored in a particular way. All questions need to be formulated the way they are in the originals. I understand some of your points about not having sufficient options to choose from, or about the way in which some questions were formulated and the meaning or assumptions they can carry. The purpose of this type of questionnaire is to grasp the general patterns of self efficacy and self care amongst the people who fill it in. I know how it can sometimes be long, and irritating for different reasons to fill in questionnaires, so thank you for taking the time. It is these kinds of comments made that will help researchers reconsider the scales used, and show them the way towards what needs to be revised in them.
Thank you,
Best to all of you,
Justine Baron

miss e j

Hi Justine,

Two comments about the survey:
1. When asking what medication people take, you assume insulin is taken by injection - some of us (and there will be more in the future) use a pump - an important distinction.

2. Re a "diabetic diets" or "healthy eating plan" this really only applies to Type 2s. Many type 1s have had/are having carb counting and dose adjustment education (and if not the should be!) which allows type 1s to eat a normal diet - ie what they like, when they like. Obviously it is best to eat healthily, but having done the dose adjustment course, I can skip meals, or eat cake if I feel like it. I think you need to be aware of this for your masters - google DAFNE for more info. So the questions about following a diet plan I didn't feel were relevant at all for me - I ticked yes, because I plan and eat what I like - as long as it's vegan!

Cheers,

emily