Blood Sugar levels varying widely

garethj101

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have type 2 diabetes and recently saw a GP new to me. She encouraged me to monitor my blood sugars each day which I've been doing before breakfast and dinner for the past 6 weeks. My blood sugars can be as low as 7, but over the past couple of weeks has been up to 15 especially in the evening. I've just tested and the reading was 20.1 I'm shocked and alarmed. What am I doing wrong? Do I really have to switch to a very austere diet? Thi is really discouraging.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you could give us some indication of what foods you generally eat on a daily basis we may be able to give you some advice. Also if you are testing it is best to test upon waking, before meals and 2 hours afterwards as this will give you a good indication of what is happening with your BS.

garethj101

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I eat a varied, balanced diet, avoiding high carbs, but not excluding them. Plenty of fish and meat (3-4 main meals a week of each). Lots of veg and a little fruit. Very little alcohol (2-3 units a week). Incidentally I'm on Metformin, Gliclazide, Simvastatin but not insulin. I've never had a hypo and my HbA1c levels had been coming down until November when they suddenly rose for no obvious reason.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
My guess, and without further information about you, it is just a guess is that what you are eating is causing the high readings.
Your blood glucose levels are directly related to apects of your food intake. There's no doubt about this at all.
So if you could give some indication as to what you are eating, particularly in evenings it would be helpful.

garethj101

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My guess, and without further information about you, it is just a guess is that what you are eating is causing the high readings.
Your blood glucose levels are directly related to apects of your food intake. There's no doubt about this at all.
So if you could give some indication as to what you are eating, particularly in evenings it would be helpful.
See my comment above. It may be that Christmas and a week abroad have made things worse, but I kept on eye on what I was eating throughout that period so it may not be to blame

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you test before and 2 hours after every meal? You might perhaps be eating more carby foods for your evening meal if the BS levels for earlier meals are within normal limits.
Just a suggestion. That's all.

garethj101

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you test before and 2 hours after every meal? You might perhaps be eating more carby foods for your evening meal if the BS levels for earlier meals are within normal limits.
Just a suggestion. That's all.
I test before breakfast and before dinner. Don't want to be boring or obsessive about it and it's the recent change that concerns me.

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi garethj101! You are not being boring or obsessive about your numbers, but like has been said above, it may be the food choices that are increasing your numbers. Until I started writing down what I was eating and actually "saw" the carbs that I consumed that I thought were "good" carbs, I couldn't figure things out either. Who would have thought that vegs like carrots got so sweet when cooked??!! I gave myself a great gift - a carb count book and it really opened my eyes.....blood sugars sooooo much better now that I plan my meals, write down the carb counts and adjust portions or eliminate some foods altogether because I now know that I can't eat them as they skyrocket my blood sugars. "Eat to your meter" is really the way to go for better control and health.....Blessings/L

Never apologize for asking questions or even repeating them - we are all learning from one another and it is good to be amongst people who care about their own health and that of the Forum family/L

Reactions: Salvia

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok, and this is my final comment. Without your pre and post meal BG readings it's impossible to to suggest anything of any use to you. The 'before' readings are just a baseline, but the 'after' readings are the important ones they are the ones that tell you how your body has reacted to what you've eaten and what foods to avoid.

marvinlzinn1

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
garethj101,

You are wise to count before you consume. A lot of disease (not just diabetics) is caused by eating for flavor (like addiction to sugar) instead of nutrition. After a lot of experience, most recent cancer, I learned what to avoid and what to recover with, so I put nothing in my mount without knowing all the ingredients.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It might be a good idea to start a food diary along with some comprehensive testing, by writing down everything you consume as well as testing before and after meals you will soon see if the food you are consuming is causing the rise in BS. It may be time consuming but it will give you an overall picture of what is going on. If it turns out to not be food related you may be losing the battle as you're already on Metformin and Gliclazide and if your numbers keep rising then Insulin may be next. Have you been to see your Dr yet to discuss your concerns.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
By testing as you do you cannot know the effects of your diet on your bg. You are, in effect, taking random readings. As individuals we can vary in our responses to the same foods/meals/amounts of carbs.
Test before each meal then two hours after your first bite, if the difference is greater than 2mmol then there is something in that meal that you may have to cut down on or cut out. As has been suggested, keeping a food diary noting the readings and the foodstuffs eaten will help you identify those foods which may be the cause of your raised levels.

There are of course other reasons for raised bg levels, infection and stress are well known causes.

And finally, there is no need for an 'austere' diet, at all.

Mark925

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have type 2 diabetes and recently saw a GP new to me. She encouraged me to monitor my blood sugars each day which I've been doing before breakfast and dinner for the past 6 weeks. My blood sugars can be as low as 7, but over the past couple of weeks has been up to 15 especially in the evening. I've just tested and the reading was 20.1 I'm shocked and alarmed. What am I doing wrong? Do I really have to switch to a very austere diet? Thi is really discouraging.

I recently had blood work done and my blood sugar reading came back at 45, no that isn’t a typo, 45 was my reading. Trip to the hospital, had intervenous and a shot of insulin, discharged at a reading of 20. Now my level daily is between 27 and higher than 33.7 as my monitor reads as high as 33.7 and allot of times it only reads Hi. Frequent urination, dry mouth, blurred vision, tingly fingers and toes, confusion.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I recently had blood work done and my blood sugar reading came back at 45, no that isn’t a typo, 45 was my reading. Trip to the hospital, had intervenous and a shot of insulin, discharged at a reading of 20. Now my level daily is between 27 and higher than 33.7 as my monitor reads as high as 33.7 and allot of times it only reads Hi. Frequent urination, dry mouth, blurred vision, tingly fingers and toes, confusion.

Mark you really need to get back to your doctor ASAP. Or even get to a hospital now.
You need to get checked out for possible late onset Type 1 your blood sugars are way too high.

Reactions: dbr10

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I agree with @bulkbiker Your levels are dangerously high. Please call 111 and tell them what is happening. Meanwhile drink loads and loads of water.

EDIT - I see from another thread you are not in the UK. Forget the 111 advice and go directly to your nearest hospital.

What meds are you on for diabetes? Did the hospital give you insulin when they discharged you, or some other medication?

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I test before breakfast and before dinner. Don't want to be boring or obsessive about it and it's the recent change that concerns me.

The recent change is concerning, but you need to help yourself with this. You have asked us what you are doing wrong, and we have all told you it is most likely your food choices. What you put in your mouth is important, and how it affects your blood sugars is essential to know. By testing before you eat and 2 hours after first bite you can see at a glance where you may be going wrong with your food choices, and allow you to change a few things. Testing is the only way to learn. It doesn't have to be forever, just for a few weeks alongside a detailed food diary.

My diet, which I have followed for almost 4 years, is most certainly not austere.