Glucose tablets

philwoolfall

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all, silly question here so sorry in advance! I’ve always used dextro as my backup in case of hypo but the packaging goes nasty sat in my pocket so end up replacing all the time as well as looking like I’m always carrying round a load of dodgy old sweets! I’m looking at getting a metal key ring container for the tablets instead but dextro are the wrong size and I need something round, ideally less than 22 mm diameter although less than 26 mm (1 inch) could also work. Any recommendations?

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@philwoolfall .
Stopped using dextrose tablets a long time back. Once pack was opened they go hard and packaging just wears away.
Discovered Gluco Tabs which are far superior.
You can buy a pot of 50 that come in a resealable airtight container .
You can buy a tube of 10, again resealable and airtight.
Just fill the tubes from the pots to save money.
I've got tubes in every coat pocket and tubs in the kitchen units ( a tub in the car as well, they fit perfectly in cup/ drinks holder)
Diameter of the tablets is 26mm so hopefully you can use them.
Good luck.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They do do individually wrapped dextrose tablets, I picked some up at an event ages ago and found it was a really good way to have 1 or 2 tablets in my running belt. You can get a tub of 300 individually wrapped dextrose tablets on Amazon for £18 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/DEXTRO-Ene...?srs=1742695031&ie=UTF8&qid=1514727264&sr=8-4

Once a packet of dextrose tablets is opened they do have a limited life span, unless you are willing to risk shattering all of your teeth while treating your hypo!

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I munch on Rowntrees fruit pastilles instead of dextrose and have them all over the place. Taste is better too.

philwoolfall

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for all the responses. Have got some gluco tabs but have also purchased an extra wide steel cielo pill holder which fits four of them in. Idea is that this will just sit on my key ring from now on and always be around. Looks decent too! Is waterproof so hopefully no problems on concreting....

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I decant Glucotabs into old test strip containers - perfectly pocket-sized and very practical to run with, or at the gym (they don't get sweaty packaged in that way!).

7 Glucotabs fit perfectly into an Accuchek Aviva test strip pot. I remove the label so I know which are strips and which are Glucotabs.

:)

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Only Friday I was cursing the hardness of my dextro energy tabs, first day back to work and a mid morning drop on the ladders :) , I've seen those gluco tabs in their tubes so will swap to them I think for out and about.

Good thread :) cheers.

A couple of years back I found a local shop selling lucozade tabs @ 6 pack a£1 so I bought £10's worth...

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
jelly babies for me...
I totally agree! When I was Type 1 (54 years of it), I used these when out and pineapple juice at home. Not only did I prefer the taste, but it acted quickly and had me feeling normal ((whatever that is!) within 20 minutes. All the best

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
I use Glucotabs, they come in small tubes of 10, and I refill them from big tubs of 50. Boots can order the 50's in for you or you can order them online (boots/amazon etc)