Got Lost for a while - Back where I think I belong now!

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Butternut Squash, Cabbage and confrontation.
Hi Chaps and Lasses,
Not really sure where to post but this is where I started October 2016, so it only seemed right to start here again. Last posted July 2017, went on a so called 'Expert' course, all it succeeded in doing for me was to confuse me and turn everything I'd learned here on its head. I'm sure for some its very valuable and a good course to go on, but I don't think my head was in the right place to take it on board to start with as I've been going through a pretty tough time in psychological therapy as well, trying to sort the issues that cause my PTSD. But we had a break through apparently in that four weeks ago, don't feel much different myself but the therapist got excited. Anyway due to my confusion, I haven't been able to concentrate on any diet, but the good thing is my HBA1C is still stable at 42.

So tonight I've made three decisions:
1) To come back to this forum, where I feel supported and that I'm not on my own with my diabetes struggling to cope with my diet.
2) Right or wrong I'm going to go back to weight watchers in hope they don't confuse me even more but I'm able to get support and loose weight again (last time before diabetes I lost 6 stone this time I have 8 to loose). Yes I could probably do it on the low carb high fat diet but with any diet you can get stuck so sometimes ringing the changes is good. I need something to definately follow so I'm going to give it a go. It has two options work or go incredibly wrong. I'm hoping to be able to make sensible choices with both ww and LCHF principles in mind. Were see how I get on.
3) I need to go back to the gym and start walking properly again, actually do some exercise.

So plan for the week:
1) Rejoin here, hey tick! I've done that one - good start.
2) Join WW Saturday morning (cant cope with being out in evenings so have to wait until daylight hours).
3) Start to exercise again
4) Go back to psyc therapy after a month away due to holiday and bug's.
5) (The hardest) be honest with myself, recognise when I'm no longer coping and be kind to me before becoming a confused, depressed mess. Then take steps to right that confusion even if it means going back to basics.

Any way have to go time for bed.
Speak hopefully tomorrow
Maggie/Magpie

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The first step and probably the hardest step to take is actually making the decisions. Well done. And welcome back.

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Maggie/Magpie, happy to see you here again. Good luck with your new 'action plan'. Plenty people here to help along the way, if/when you need it.

:)

Reactions: Grateful and Prem51

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nice to meet you (I joined the forum a bit less than two months ago). It is tough dealing with T2D even at the best of times, but this is a great place and I hope you find extra support here.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi Chaps and Lasses,
Not really sure where to post but this is where I started October 2016, so it only seemed right to start here again. Last posted July 2017, went on a so called 'Expert' course, all it succeeded in doing for me was to confuse me and turn everything I'd learned here on its head. I'm sure for some its very valuable and a good course to go on, but I don't think my head was in the right place to take it on board to start with as I've been going through a pretty tough time in psychological therapy as well, trying to sort the issues that cause my PTSD. But we had a break through apparently in that four weeks ago, don't feel much different myself but the therapist got excited. Anyway due to my confusion, I haven't been able to concentrate on any diet, but the good thing is my HBA1C is still stable at 42.

So tonight I've made three decisions:
1) To come back to this forum, where I feel supported and that I'm not on my own with my diabetes struggling to cope with my diet.
2) Right or wrong I'm going to go back to weight watchers in hope they don't confuse me even more but I'm able to get support and loose weight again (last time before diabetes I lost 6 stone this time I have 8 to loose). Yes I could probably do it on the low carb high fat diet but with any diet you can get stuck so sometimes ringing the changes is good. I need something to definately follow so I'm going to give it a go. It has two options work or go incredibly wrong. I'm hoping to be able to make sensible choices with both ww and LCHF principles in mind. Were see how I get on.
3) I need to go back to the gym and start walking properly again, actually do some exercise.

So plan for the week:
1) Rejoin here, hey tick! I've done that one - good start.
2) Join WW Saturday morning (cant cope with being out in evenings so have to wait until daylight hours).
3) Start to exercise again
4) Go back to psyc therapy after a month away due to holiday and bug's.
5) (The hardest) be honest with myself, recognise when I'm no longer coping and be kind to me before becoming a confused, depressed mess. Then take steps to right that confusion even if it means going back to basics.

Any way have to go time for bed.
Speak hopefully tomorrow
Maggie/Magpie
Welcome back.
The beauty of this forum. You're always welcome!

Reactions: Virtuoso12

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I miss so many posters. I hope deep down they've forgot their log-on details and have come back anonymously, maybe. I live in hope.

Reactions: Virtuoso12

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome back it's great to see you have a plan in place.

Mariedoc

LCHF making me fatter ...help
I’ve been T2 for 15 years I’m currently in gliclazide asprin, avorstatin and trulicity. My morning BS is 8-10
I try to follow LCHF as much as possible but sometimes come evenings I succumb to sugar , it may only be a tube of fruit gums or a biscuit but whilst I haven’t put on weight other than the odd lb I have got fatter in my arms and upper body.
I am currently 13 st and 5ft 1.
For exercise I walk 2/3 times a day as I am a dog walker so I am feeling despondent that maybe the fat in my diet is too much but without carbs for energy I eat it to fill me up

Typical day
B Bacon and eggs or porridge with water
L Veg soup or advocado and bacon salad
D. Meat and veg followed by Greek yogurt and berries
Occasionally I will have a biscuit or small tube of fruit gums when the urge takes over

I have tried normal diets ww and slimming world but these send my sugar levels higher

Now I have developed tingling in my left arm pains in my feet’s and occasional aches in my neck and chest which after a visit to A &E the doctors said my heart was fine so I’m wondering if it’s another complication of high BS
I have my annual review next week but to be honest my GP isn’t very supportive.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Feeling in a rut

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The cereals, fruit gums and biscuits should be removed from your diet.

Make your own low-carb, sugar free sweets using Stevia; and almond flour for the biscuits!

There are tons of low-carb recipes on YouTube!

Low-Carb Biscuits
(I add thyme, garlic - delicious!)

Last edited:
Reactions: Serena51

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would also recommend the “Cavaliers chocolates” from Friars.

Cavaliers is the only brand recommended for diabetics.

Made with no added sugar, sweetened with Stevia (zero sugar, zero carbs and 200x sweeter than sugar).

https://www.friars.co.uk/

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's a good idea to try and find a low carb alternative. Pinterest is a great place for ideas, I always have LC cheesecake, choc cake, biscuits etc in the freezer in individual bags so if I feel like something sweet I just go and grab what I feel like. I'm like you in that I have trouble with my neck and tingling in my left arm and feet, I've narrowed it down to my poor circulation if I sit too long. If you seem to be accumulating fat in your arms it might pay to try some specific exercises to target just that area to see if trying to tone them up will help.