How many grams of carbs do u have?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive just started lchf eating and aim for 30-50. I'm type 1, should I go lower?
I’m T1 and could never stay stable with 20 c per meal. It wasn’t just about counting carbs as the fat and protein content effect the meal. If you go lower you’ll need to adjust your insulin. I also bolus for half my protein as if it were a carb as in the absence of carbs we get energy ( bg) from protein through gluconeogenisis

I do very well at less than 20 total ( not net) carbs. I base my meals around protein, avocado and other fats.

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For me, I'm aiming to maintain 4-5mmol/l and trying to get there with around 20g carbs or less. So far, I'm mostly missing that, but am also exercising more and trying to lose fat. So basically eating to my meter, which has been interesting. I've experimented with nothing but coffee for a day, and still read in the 6-7 range, so hoping that's internally produced glucose :)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
For me, I'm aiming to maintain 4-5mmol/l and trying to get there with around 20g carbs or less. So far, I'm mostly missing that, but am also exercising more and trying to lose fat. So basically eating to my meter, which has been interesting. I've experimented with nothing but coffee for a day, and still read in the 6-7 range, so hoping that's internally produced glucose :)
20 or less per day or meal?
There are things I have learned along thin pleasant journey that really helped me stay lower and steady
I had to reduce protein
I need enough chewable fat with my proteins like avocado or nuts. EVOO and butter don’t work as well
I needed to reduce animal fat in favor of plant fats. Animal fats tend to come around later, and stick around longer
Of course carbs are limited

Avocado with every meal keeps me very steady. The fat and fiber slows the protein and the protein slows the carbs.

ixi1429

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Averaging 55g a day. The max target is 75 - 15 per meal, plus 15 for teas/coffees and a buffer of 15. I have only been doing that since New year.

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
20 or less per day or meal?

For me, per day. Mainly because I'd been skipping meals for years and typically only eating one meal a day, and to make that worse, the odd unhealthy snack (Snickers!) in between. So I'm sticking with that partly for weight loss (95kg back to my old fighting weight of <81kg) and because it's cheaper on test strips :)

Avocado with every meal keeps me very steady. The fat and fiber slows the protein and the protein slows the carbs.

I've never been keen on avocados, but thinking maybe I should try them again. I think the taste/texture put me off eating them raw, but could be useful in cooking. I also found an interesting presentation on fats & ketogenisis that I'll stick in another thread.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Absolute maximum of 60gm per day, but go lower at least half the time.
Once I can get down to more normal weight I might not be so strict, but to keep my weight down I can only eat low carb.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
For me, per day. Mainly because I'd been skipping meals for years and typically only eating one meal a day, and to make that worse, the odd unhealthy snack (Snickers!) in between. So I'm sticking with that partly for weight loss (95kg back to my old fighting weight of <81kg) and because it's cheaper on test strips :)

I've never been keen on avocados, but thinking maybe I should try them again. I think the taste/texture put me off eating them raw, but could be useful in cooking. I also found an interesting presentation on fats & ketogenisis that I'll stick in another thread.
They can’t be even the slightest over ripe or I don’t like them. Cooking isn’t usually good. Changes the fatty acids and they’re slimy.

That being said, many people like baking an egg in them topped with bacon bits. I’ve never tried it.

However, I fried aome slices last week in butter and a hot pan. Delischous. Reminded us of French toast oddly.

They are great chopped into soups or stews AFTER cooking.

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They are great chopped into soups or stews AFTER cooking.

I shall add them to my.. experiments! I've found I'm doing a lot of soup/stew/bigos style dishes anyway, and generally prefer to be gentle with my veg. So more warming them rather than cooking to death & losing all those lovely micro/macro nutrients. Plus I like the crunch :)

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I eat what I eat but try and eat well and low carb. What does low carbs mean? No idea, no body has given me a clue but I sort of think it could be anything up to 100g a day. BUT as a newbie, that could be wrong. I think I generally put away 50-75g. Depends if I'm having fun which I usually am :)

D

Deleted Account

I eat what I eat but try and eat well and low carb. What does low carbs mean? No idea, no body has given me a clue but I sort of think it could be anything up to 100g a day. BUT as a newbie, that could be wrong. I think I generally put away 50-75g. Depends if I'm having fun which I usually am :)
Some people with type 1 find low carb diet help.
However, if you can match your insulin quantities and timing, it should not be necessary.
I maintain good control without anything like low carb and I know I am not alone in this as a type 1 on this forum.

Don’t forget this forum is for all types of diabetes and type 2 is the most common so much of the advice imps focused towards type 2.

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are getting the results you're aiming for, why bother as it obviously isn't necessary, but if you're not then try & see how it goes. Think of them as a tool not a as target to aim for...

'Robbity
I don't count carbs these days, 50-60 is an estimate, but I'm looking to reduce my carb intake as currently my fasting BG levels are too high - this a.m. was 6.7. Although last night at 12.30 reading was 5.4, seems like liver dump is in operation - as it does most mornings, so would like to reduce that if possible.

Bertyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I don’t count.

I eat stuff that doesn’t contain many Carbs and that works for me. I can’t see how having a target would help.
Ditto. I'm just sensible and avoid sugars and simple carbs and a "limited" amount of complex carbs. Just made a moussaka with celeriac instead of potato for instance.

Reactions: CarolineSugar

Bertyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ive just started lchf eating and aim for 30-50. I'm type 1, should I go lower?
Depends why you are doing it. Is it to make control easier? If so, it depends if the peaks and troughs are regularly going out of target range.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I shall add them to my.. experiments! I've found I'm doing a lot of soup/stew/bigos style dishes anyway, and generally prefer to be gentle with my veg. So more warming them rather than cooking to death & losing all those lovely micro/macro nutrients. Plus I like the crunch :)
Keep me posted. They add a nice creaminess and if you add them after cooking and toss around it takes the chill out.

Nidge247

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
20-50g daily is the norm for me. I don't worry if it's at the higher end as my body can cope with it, and my BGs are stable in the 4-5's. Occasionally I'll have a zero carb meal, but this doesn't necessarily mean a plunge in BGs, often just a slight drop. Leaves room for a treat later in the day!

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Occasionally I'll have a zero carb meal, but this doesn't necessarily mean a plunge in BGs, often just a slight drop. Leaves room for a treat later in the day!

A zero carb meal ?

What’s that, a glass of water ?

Jo123

About 65 for me, however the bulk of that is from vegetables, surprising how many of you with green vegetables. I eat very few obvious carbs.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Approx between 40-50g per day but it varies sometimes between 35-40g max!

purplepenguin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
between 20 and 25g per day for me. I try not go go more than 10g per meal as that is where I see the spikes.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't count carbs I just cut out all sugar stuff try not to have anything made with wheat flour apart from wholemeal bread because I have the occasional slice toasted and if I have potatoes sometimes just a small portion of new ones.