Pasta substitute at Aldi

Sminkypinky_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
47726d71636ac6ea9e8cec766c8e1521.jpg

Currently available in Aldi for £1.99. Any good as a low carb alternative to pasta?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
47726d71636ac6ea9e8cec766c8e1521.jpg

Currently available in Aldi for £1.99. Any good as a low carb alternative to pasta?

Hi there, @Sminkypinky_ - It would be really useful if you posted a picture of the nutritional information, usually on the back or side of the packaging. That would help people pass comment.

D

Deleted member 308541

It would be really useful if you posted a picture of the nutritional information, usually on the back or side of the packaging.
The nutrition info is in the top pix, the pix is turned sideways but is still readable.

Sminkypinky_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok - thought I'd captured that in the picture! Will try again when I'm next in the kitchen. Hope my hubby doesn't read this - he already takes the Micheal out of my IT (dis)ability

Reactions: anthony113

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok - thought I'd captured that in the picture! Will try again when I'm next in the kitchen. Hope my hubby doesn't read this - he already takes the Micheal out of my IT (dis)ability

Apologies - I didn't notice that. Thanks @Tipetoo

In response to your query; it's probably more diabetes friendly than "the real McCoy", but I haven't tried it myself.

Reactions: dbr10

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Looks very similar in carb content to the bean pasta produced by explore cuisine that’s got 11g per 100g. I had 40g of their bean fettuccine last night with a carbonara sauce and my blood glucose was 0.5 lower 2 hours after eating it so it didn’t make me spike! Would suggest you try a small portion with a rich sauce and then test to see how you get on. I loved the stuff I tried and pleased others starting to produce stuff the for low carb market as brings price down and sometimes good to have something quick to prepare in the cupboard. Thank you for alerting us to this. I noticed celeriac rice in Waitrose and haven’t tried it yet as pricey but gives you ideas and celeriac dosent spike me either.

Reactions: dbr10 and ickihun

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I do not particularly like pasta but my family do so I think I might invest in a packet of this, thanks for the heads up.

Reactions: dbr10

slinkimalinki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do not particularly like pasta but my family do so I think I might invest in a packet of this, thanks for the heads up.
When my family want pasta, I make regular pasta for them and for me, I use the potato peeler and peel strips off a zucchini and pan fry quickly in some butter, salt and pepper. Then I top theirs and mine with whatever sauce we are having. Tonight it was cream, mushroom, bacon, leek, capsicum. Delicious

Reactions: Emma_369 and Struma

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you are doing LCHF diet and aiming to keep protein to the RDA of 1g per kg body weight then check the nutrition label and keep portion size appropriate. Soy is a high protein veg, and will add to glucose spike later on so may not show in a 2hr PP test.

JonM1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This is amazing news for anyone who enjoyed wheat/durum pasta before a diagnosis said avoid "GPS" ie grain, potato, sugar for the rest of your life.

Hats off and a loud cheer to Aldi for putting something on the shelf that is good for diabetics and 2/3 the price of an almost identical Tesco product (the Yutaka variant, H&B sell an even more sportingly priced Explore brand).

I have a dream. One day there will be food price parity for diabetics, however for now we remain a legally exploitable minority by the large multiple grocers.

You shouldn't feel happy that 10% of our numbers as a proportion of UK residents who are coeliac get acres of "free from" gluten reduced shelf/freezer space in the supermarkets while the four million uk diabetics play "guess the safe food" or "30 mins shopping becomes two hours of label scrutiny" in the average supermarket as we struggle to find diabetic healthy food.

But astonishingly most of the biggest grocery retailers (Tesco/ Asda/ Morrison/ Sainsbury take a bow in the hall of infamy) don't yet get that there's a big market here who would appreciate diabetic safe/friendly, clearly labelled competitively priced food. Do prod your local branch management / facebook group if you're inclined. Or, sit back meekly and let them ignore you if that's your style.

Meanwhile the low carb alternative veg pasta market stands:
- Explore H&B £3.30/200g - cooked carb content 6.6g / 100g
- Yutaka Tesco £2.99/200g - cooked carb content 7.3g / 100g
- Organic Aldi £2.00/200g - cooked carb content 5.9g / 100g

You won't find any of these figures on their labels, they don't seem to be ***** to actually cook it and weigh before/after. I have however, several times for each. The averages are as above.

Egg noodles are 35.9g / 100g cooked back in the pre-diagnosed world.

Last edited:

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Allegedly on offer in Aldi at the moment.
However the Aldi web site is useless; I searched for pasta and got no dried pasta at all.

The Explore pasta is on offer in Tesco at £2 a box (or was a couple of days ago).

JonM1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Allegedly on offer in Aldi at the moment.
However the Aldi web site is useless; I searched for pasta and got no dried pasta at all.

The Explore pasta is on offer in Tesco at £2 a box (or was a couple of days ago).

Well the Ellon branch (Scotland) of Aldi certainly has all three recipes for £2 at the moment (agree the website is not very informative). Tesco were £3 for Explore on Saturday, but price matching since wouldn't surprise me - the two are closely competitive on the WIGIG offers in our town.

Doncha just love competition?

Tone E

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I discovered this stuff the other day. I used to eat a lot of pasta, so I bought a box. It's more like something you would usually call a noodle, but is an acceptable substitute for pasta. It cooks very quickly. The box says 4 to 6 minutes. Don't cook it for more than 5 or it gets very sticky. One box increases in size, once cooked, to feed two people and I'm greedy. I cooked it as a spaghetti dish with mushroom, Parmigiano, Spinach, black pepper and olive oil and it took the flavours well. I also used it as a noodle with some chilli and ginger and spring onion. That worked well too. It get a thumbs up from me and I'll be buying some more. I'm actually quite pleased with it on the sly.