Micheljb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People nagging about their health condition and who do not see others'
Greetings,
I just joined this amazing virtual space. I have been searching some feedback related to a possible link between cold weather and high sugar level when testing.
I am from Montreal (Canada) it is winter and pretty much cold. Since the polar blitz started I noticed an increase in my sugar level test (x2 day). I am type II, no insulin, just medication.
My treating doctor gave me an objective to keep constantly under control: low 4.7 and highest 8 (mmol)
I noticed recently the following reading: AM fasting: 9 to 11 mmol; PM fasting 10 to 12 mmol
I am enough worried yet contacting my endocrinologist may take a few weeks wait before a potential appointment.
I a m using the Mobile Accu-Check meter.
Any information on the matter would be greatly welcomed and appreciated.
Thank you very much

Reactions: AdeleTurner72_

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
Hi ,
Thank you very much for your quick response the link's content seems very useful. SO much appreciated :)
Your welcome. There's great information on this forum. Look around and ask questions.

Micheljb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People nagging about their health condition and who do not see others'
Your welcome. There's great information on this forum. Look around and ask questions.
Yes thank you.
I just joined a few hours ago, so I am discovering the entire place. I have learned so far very valuable information I am pretty confident many health care professionals may not know.
Thank you for your kindness, so much appreciated

Nidge247

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Greetings,
I just joined this amazing virtual space. I have been searching some feedback related to a possible link between cold weather and high sugar level when testing.
I am from Montreal (Canada) it is winter and pretty much cold. Since the polar blitz started I noticed an increase in my sugar level test (x2 day). I am type II, no insulin, just medication.
My treating doctor gave me an objective to keep constantly under control: low 4.7 and highest 8 (mmol)
I noticed recently the following reading: AM fasting: 9 to 11 mmol; PM fasting 10 to 12 mmol
I am enough worried yet contacting my endocrinologist may take a few weeks wait before a potential appointment.
Thank you very much

One thing to note; make sure your meter is at room temperature when testing; I have had some very odd results when testing at high and low temperatures, which only after some thought was traced to the meter being exposed to 'out of its comfort range' temperatures. I too use the Accu-Chek meter.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
One thing to note; make sure your meter is at room temperature when testing; I have had some very odd results when testing at high and low temperatures, which only after some thought was traced to the meter being exposed to 'out of its comfort range' temperatures. I too use the Accu-Chek meter.
Me too on accu-chek mobile. Had a 16.2 then rechecked it went to 34.0. :eek: it was inaccurate. I double checked on my Bayer Contour Next which I have for back up and I was 15.6 which is still high but not 34.
I store these meters in different places for that reason.

A many a past post has covered this problem and good discussions and tips too.
Have a search for 'accuracy of meters'?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Greetings,
Thank you very much
Yes meter readings may need double checking more in the colder or hotter weather, for sure.
Myself less activity increases mine.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another possibility to consider is that when the temperature around us drops, then our bodies go into self preservation mode, and firstly it stops the body from expending energy being used for storing lipids as fat for future use, It is an emergency response that aims at keeping adipose fat in store for use in protecting the vital organs and energy for shivering, Thus any gluconeogenesis activity stops, and glucose in blood remains there instead of being stored away.

Another effect of cold weather is that our blood becomes less fluid, and denser, so this may affect the conversion factoring in the meter, which is a fixed algorithm.

One last consideration to ponder over is that severe shivering in the body uses adipose fat, which increases ketones in the blood as a biproduct, This may be used by the body instead of glucose, so again may be affecting things.

http://mydario.com/cold-weather-and-diabetes/

I am not a biochemist or endo, so these are just musings of mine based on my limited understanding. They are hypotheses only at the moment and I have no research data on any of them.