Changing insulin

I am a type 2 diabetic, with good control. However my GP has changed my treatment. I was on metformin, gliclazide and HumulinI, but I was having too many hypos. He has stopped the gliclazide and started glargine, and apidra before my main meal. It is keeping my blood sugar stable, but too high. I am gradually increasing the dose of glargine but it is not happening fast enough for me. Does anyone have experience of this, and when can I expect to see my blood sugar come down?

Tinkerbelly

nativenewyorker said:
I am a type 2 diabetic, with good control. However my GP has changed my treatment. I was on metformin, gliclazide and HumulinI, but I was having too many hypos. He has stopped the gliclazide and started glargine, and apidra before my main meal. It is keeping my blood sugar stable, but too high. I am gradually increasing the dose of glargine but it is not happening fast enough for me. Does anyone have experience of this, and when can I expect to see my blood sugar come down?

Hi there

Rather than increase the Lantus, just increase the Apidra. As long as you can test frequently, you'll be able to sort yourself out by adjusting the fast acting insulin to the action of the Lantus and also of course the amount of carbohydrate that you need to eat.

Apidra is quite good for some in comparison to using Humalog or Humulin. You should get better hypo awareness with it.

sixfoot

Nativenewyorker, you are already on insulin as a T2 and now your BS are high. You havnt said anything about your diet what you are eating. It would have an effect on your BS readings.

Dave P

Think I've been a bit nervous about having too much apidra, but guess I'll just have to take the bull by the horns and go for it!!
Just seems strange that my diet hasn't changed but i've gone from very tight control to having higher blood sugars more or less overnight. Never mind i'm sure it will all settle down.I've only just found this forum (after 9 years!), but it's nice to know that you're not on your own!

Sally

Tinkerbelly

nativenewyorker said:
Think I've been a bit nervous about having too much apidra, but guess I'll just have to take the bull by the horns and go for it!!
Just seems strange that my diet hasn't changed but i've gone from very tight control to having higher blood sugars more or less overnight. Never mind i'm sure it will all settle down.I've only just found this forum (after 9 years!), but it's nice to know that you're not on your own!

Sally

Try not to be too worried about the hypos. I'm not sure what other users of Apidra and Lantus get hypo wise, but I just feel extremely tired (yawning) when going low now as an early sign. Apidra does appear to give a longer warning of a hypo coming compared to other insulins.