Scared and pregnant

Styles23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can anyone give any advise of pregnancy?
I am about 9 weeks and just kee feeling really nervous and scared of what is about to come :(. I am testing my blood sugars all the time, and adjusting my insulin. Also have my appointment with my diabetic team next week so know I’m going to get looked after, just so nervous about everything.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Reactions: Dizzylish78

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @himtoo

@Styles23 feeling nervous and anxious is a natural part of pregnancy whether your diabetic or not.
It sounds as though you’re doing everything right so far and your diabetes team will be able to tell you more at your appointment.

Is there anything in particular you’re worried about?

Reactions: himtoo

Styles23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, thanks for the reply. I think it’s the giving birth part that is scaring me but I suppose everyone that is pregnant is nervous about that, and what will happen during birth when your diabetic. I didn’t get off to a great start as ended up in hospital with DKA when I first found out, but since I have turned it around and my sugars are much better.

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, thanks for the reply. I think it’s the giving birth part that is scaring me but I suppose everyone that is pregnant is nervous about that, and what will happen during birth when your diabetic. I didn’t get off to a great start as ended up in hospital with DKA when I first found out, but since I have turned it around and my sugars are much better.

Well done on turning it around! It’s not an easy thing to do.

Giving birth is always a scary thought, there are so many horror stories but if you think about how many babies are born every day without complications it can make things seem better.
No point worrying about that until the day because nobody knows what’s going to happen (easier said than done I know!) if it’s something that’s really troubling you then there are people and councillors you can speak to if you need to.
The birth will be very closely monitored and your docs are unlikely to let you go full term. You should have a birth plan constructed with your diabetes consultant which will detail the plans and decisions made in regards to your diabetes during the birth so it’ll all be taken are of before you actually give birth if that makes sense.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi @Styles23

You are doing wonderfully- first because you are thinking it through and second keeping on top of numbers/insulin.

Giving birth is scary because it is unknown and we can't control it all. Everyone will just want the best for you and the baby - and all that matters in the end is a safe delivery.

Have a rough plan but don't worry if things change. Feel free to ask questions.

Styles23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
THAnk you for your reply. Had my first apppointment with diabetic team today, and everyone is just really nice. So put me at ease that I’m going to be looked after, even had a scan to check everything was ok as only 10 weeks and doctor said it was good, as baby had a very strong heartbeat :) finally starting to feel real now x

livi2006

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there well done u with turning all around I'm on my 1st baby also currently 26 weeks an I see my diabetic team every 2 weeks I can't recommend them enough I've have very good hba1c pre conception an I found it helped I hit a hard patch from about 20 weeks were my sugars went a bit out of range even though my eating had not changed but I will find that your insulin requirements will rise dramatically with pregenancy but noting to be worried about your diabetics team will help u with them it took me a while an I was worried about too much insulin effecting my Baby but as your baby grows sometimes your body can become insulin resistant so u will require more of a dose to keep in your range.. thank goodness I've it back in range an I feel great which is important look after yourself an drink plenty of fluids an a good diet an u will sail through.. wishing u all the best xxx