Knowalls rant

alison1981

Sorry about this

Sometimes people really annoy me about their knowledge of diabetes and their attitude.

Today myself and my colleagues were having a discussion about dieting. She said about special k being a healthy breakfast and i just mentioned that it might be a slimming breakfast but it isn't good for a diabetic. This colleague then just got on at me.

This colleague thinks she knows everything anyway but the fact that she is never wrong and is very opinionated never listening to others she just got to me today.

Apologies if this is in the wrong section!

Reactions: Arlmy and les74

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It's very high on the insulin index as well as most sugar loaded, carb loaded cereals are!
Another 'healthy' breakfast, Weetabix, is probably the worst because of the binding artificial sugars included in its production.

Porridge is another 'superfood' that can be dangerous to metabolic conditions.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry about this

Sometimes people really annoy me about their knowledge of diabetes and their attitude.

Today myself and my colleagues were having a discussion about dieting. She said about special k being a healthy breakfast and i just mentioned that it might be a slimming breakfast but it isn't good for a diabetic. This colleague then just got on at me.

This colleague thinks she knows everything anyway but the fact that she is never wrong and is very opinionated never listening to others she just got to me today.

79g carbs/100g. No good for me. Your friend has no idea what she's talking about.

Reactions: L1ncslass

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: dbr10 and Sue192

L1ncslass

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I don't touch any cereals now. I really miss my porridge :(

Or Rhubarb porridge, solid pack tinned rhubarb [no syrup] is best as it's already soft if not frozen ok, add ground almonds linseeds, sugar substitute warm in microwave then add a dollop of double cream lovely.

Reactions: ianpspurs

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry about this

I am coming to the conclusion that there are 99.9% people in the world who know nothing about diabetes, including sadly a lot of GPs, dieticians and other health professionals (and including me up to August 2017) and then there are the 0.1% on this Forum!!! (OK my figures are not accurate, but you get my drift.) It is unfortunate that it seems to be in human nature to want to have and give an opinion even on the subjects about which we are totally ignorant. What to do? Recharge our batteries here, and then cultivate strategic deafness in the company of the ignorant?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Or Rhubarb porridge, solid pack tinned rhubarb [no syrup] is best as it's already soft if not frozen ok, add ground almonds linseeds, sugar substitute warm in microwave then add a dollop of double cream lovely.
I got all excited reading this, but have failed to find any tinned rhubarb without light syrup added.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Your colleague is an a*s. And Special K tastes like sweetened cardboard anyway, so be happy to know that she has to eat that, according to her beliefs, and you get to eat eggs and bacon, or avocado or some other yummy breakfast thanks to what you learned from diabetes!

Reactions: dbr10 and Sue192

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Where do you buy your solid packed rhubarb, L1ncslass? I grow my own, but of course it's not in season at the moment and the forced stuff is bland and horrid, in my view.

I love rhubarb. :)

Sorry to derail things chaps.

Reactions: Granny_grump_

PaulAshby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry about this

She probably thinks drinking pure fruit juice is good for her, take no notice.

Reactions: Della82 and dbr10

PaulAshby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Where do you buy your solid packed rhubarb, L1ncslass? I grow my own, but of course it's not in season at the moment and the forced stuff is bland and horrid, in my view.

I love rhubarb. :)

Sorry to derail things chaps.

Rhubarb crumble, well that's what insulins for.

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
Sorry about this

When I was diagnosed with T2, one of the biggest disappointments was finding out that All Bran, that I loved and had been eating for breakfast for decades, was full of carbs, as was the milk.
However, I decided to make my own granola with seeds and nuts (3.1g carbs/100 g), which I eat with Alpro almond unsweetened. All in, less than 3g carb and lots of fat and fibre for a whole meal.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another vote for the rhubarb source (please!)