Type 2 blood sugar testing or not

zmoakley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injustice/rudeness/ignorance
After having to go on to medication I was given a tester and strips etc on prescription, however I was given no advice on how to use it/when to use it/and how to utilize it to monitor my blood sugar successfully. I am thankful for this forum and website. My glucose levels are very erratic at the moment and I would be floundering around without any idea if I was not testing, testing your blood is just as important if not on insulin as it is if you are in my opinion.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Apologies if I've got this a*** backwards but, after reading an awful lot on this Forum, can there be a case for not testing (as in my case as I am not on meds but only diet-controlled) when after the first three-month bloods review, hbA1c has decreased sufficiently not to consider testing but to keep on with low-carbing? I think @Grateful goes by the three-month results and also doesn't test - I don't know if there are other members who do the same. I absolutely agree that it is a good idea to know which foods are spikers and which are not, especially if there are other health problems, but I'm also getting slightly anxious reading that not testing is idiotic, whereas what I've done and am doing is working. For me, that is.
I think if you eat the same kind of diet all the time and you know the amounts and types of foods you tolerate then testing all the time may not be entirely necessary. However you never know when something in your body may change. I’m reluctant to give up regular testing but if that’s what you’re happy with then I think a couple of days testing each month just to keep a check might be in order.

Bigbumcooper

Hi all
When I had my initial appointment the nurse said that I didn’t need to test myself as it’s only t1 who need to do that to ensure they are administering the right amount of insulin.
Do other T2s test and if so how often throughout the day.
Thanks in advance and happy new year to you all.

I have been told to test before and 2 hours after each meal to see what happens with different foods, it is helping me learn what works for me

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Apologies if I've got this a*** backwards but, after reading an awful lot on this Forum, can there be a case for not testing (as in my case as I am not on meds but only diet-controlled) when after the first three-month bloods review, hbA1c has decreased sufficiently not to consider testing but to keep on with low-carbing? I think @Grateful goes by the three-month results and also doesn't test - I don't know if there are other members who do the same. I absolutely agree that it is a good idea to know which foods are spikers and which are not, especially if there are other health problems, but I'm also getting slightly anxious reading that not testing is idiotic, whereas what I've done and am doing is working. For me, that is.

I think there are valid reasons to test whilst we are in the learning phase, learning how to cope with the condition, learning what foods we can or can't eat because of our bg response, learning how much or how little of a particular item our body can cope with. Once we know how different foods work for us, I don't think it's necessary to keep checking the same things over and over again, but it may be something that an individual chooses to do. I can see nothing wrong with reverting to the occasional reassurance check at whatever intervals we are comfortable with.

I think the checking process is the same as everything else - we are all very much individuals and need to decide for ourselves what is right for us, our lifestyles and our purse.

Reactions: phaedree

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
As I am over a year from diagnosis now, and had normal readings at 6 months, I only check in unusual circumstances, and usually find that my BG level is still low.
I started off checking before and after meals, then just after, and then only after dinner, and as my numbers were dropping from 8 to 7 to 6 as time went on then I thought that if I just kept on in the same way that all would be well.
I consider myself very lucky and that I dodged the bullet rather narrowly - the test was done by mistake, I should have had a test for my Thyroxine dose, and somehow it got muddled up and was tested for blood sugar and Hba1c.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A meter is also useful to monitor the effect of exercise on your levels. Mine goes up immediately after exercise, then starts to drop. It is a great motivator to exercise more.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't test that often anymore but with yearly HBA1C's if I'm lucky, having a meter is really necessary for me to keep on track.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m diagnosed T2 and I test every day...

Before breakfast

Before lunch and 2 hours after lunch

Before dinner and 2 hours after dinner

Before bed

Reactions: Hils72

Hils72

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone. I also have sleep apnoea and saw the clinical lead for that at my hospital yesterday. He could not believe either they said don’t test and ordered a test on me there and then. 4 hours after brekkie it was 8.4. Have my own tester arriving today to will start testing now. You guys have been most helpful. Thank you.

Reactions: Alison Campbell