Insulin resistance experts help

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You assume so you don t know if your insuline is okay?,and what can you see in your meter connected to carbs.

When I did 1 year of low carb was in 2015 2016 I did not have An. I did not no why I did feel not good and did not loose weight.
I also did have gestionel diabetis and could not loose the baby weight.

The diet you do is different from the mine. I did 10%carbs 40%fat 50 % protein.
I also did change from 1200 calorie to 800. And try more fat less protein.

But almost no result. When I gave it all up went back to normal food. Then I Got acanthosis nigracans.

And my sleep disorder started in the low carb diet with a lot of pvc. Wich I made me think this is maybe not good for me.
Insulin levels - yes I have to make assumptions as it is not easily tested and is therefore only done occasionally, however one can see enough charts on line concerning how insulin generally behaves in the absence of foods, to make good guesses as to what is likely to be happening to me

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Unfortunately IR is influenced by......
Diet and exercise.

For me I have to have great bgs and perfectly working thyroid before diet and exercise can reduce my IR.
A lot f hard work to be done before many can just go out and exercise and munch on veg that interfere with my thyroid. My thyroid works better without veg.
Shame even dieticians haven't worked that one out.
I cannot replace my carbs with veg, not as much as any can.

Maybe your thyroid function is interfered with too @Flair .watch those vegetables and research which ones are best for your thyroid and just because drugs have replaced its missing function doesn't mean you shouldn't search for its cause and try and fix it.
It is very very hard work thou, so be warned!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Taken me ages to get to the end of this :)

If your BG is normal but your insulin is high this is surely Insulin Resistance at its finest?
That is, you are having to run abnormally high insulin levels to beat your BG into submission.

Reactions: Happyhomelands

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
High glucose is so much easier to combat than high insulin because we can test glucose at home at any time.

I remember seeing these lists of foods that need a lower insulin respoonse and thought they might be useful to consider.

Food list
https://optimisingnutrition.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/weight-loss-foods-insulin-resistant.pdf

Information about the food lists, composition of the diet and the effect on insulin
https://optimisingnutrition.com/201...foods-for-weight-loss-and-insulin-resistance/

Reactions: ziggy_w

Gabrielle_Tai

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
High glucose is so much easier to combat than high insulin because we can test glucose at home at any time.

I remember seeing these lists of foods that need a lower insulin respoonse and thought they might be useful to consider.

Food list
https://optimisingnutrition.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/weight-loss-foods-insulin-resistant.pdf

Information about the food lists, composition of the diet and the effect on insulin
https://optimisingnutrition.com/201...foods-for-weight-loss-and-insulin-resistance/

Sorry to drop by here, i just wonder do this help also with people with type 1 like me? I know even type 1 can get insulin resistant and i hate to inject myself with more insulin dosage to cover my insulin resistant in the future.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Gabrielle_Tai have a look at type1keto.com and get yourself a copy of "Dr Bernsteins Diabetes Solution". There are a few people with Type1 doing low carb on this site. (Remember that if you don't have carbs you need to much your insulin to protein. )

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You need to read “The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living ”, one of the experiments they describe is putting insulin into one arm and glucose into the other. They confirmed it resulted in increased insulin resistance. (Children do not try this at home.....)

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry to drop by here, i just wonder do this help also with people with type 1 like me? I know even type 1 can get insulin resistant and i hate to inject myself with more insulin dosage to cover my insulin resistant in the future.

No, I think your circumstances are very different. You are young, aged 15? and newly diagnosed type 1. You may never become insulin resistant if you eat a healthy diet. Please do not worry about a future that might never happen.

Reactions: zand and Arlmy

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Yes, to me it's a mystery how BG is normal and insulin high.

What if???? If a non-dabetic injected themselves with small doses of slow acting insulin everyday what would happen? The doses would be small enough not to cause a hypo and only push down BS a small amount. It seems to me the body would try to adjust its insulin downward. But if the dose is increased so that there's always a little high basal amount would the body develop insulin resistance to keep inner cell BG normal? How would the body try to fix this???? I think it would increase insulin resistance to protect cells. I think it would go out of its way to compensate for the extra insulin and keep the BG at normal levels.

The same hypothesis might be applicable to a pancreas that produces too much insulin. It doesn't know when to turn off. It keeps overreacting to normal BG sensing it's too high, when, in fact, it's normal. It starts out slowly and keeps increasing insulin as insulin resistance goes up.

Just a thought experiment.

Whilst we are on the subject, which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Increasing insulin production either from the pancreas or injections would surely lead to continuous hypos if the increase was significant, some time before insulin resistance could start to develop. As you say, the first thing likely to happen is a reduction in insulin production if the feedback mechanisms are still working correctly.

I would suggest that the insulin resistance starts to develop first, and the natural counter is to increase insulin production. This would be natural; as I understand it insulin is produced until blood glucose levels drop. So if the body becomes resistant to insulin, more has to be produced to force blood glucose down. This in turn is likely to raise the background level of insulin in the blood.

This assumes that the insulin resistance is like a spring loaded door where you have to exert a minimum level of force to open the door even slightly so you have to maintain a constant push against the closed door so a small increase in pressure will force it open. Possibly a poor analogy.

Flair

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Unfortunately IR is influenced by......
Diet and exercise.

For me I have to have great bgs and perfectly working thyroid before diet and exercise can reduce my IR.
A lot f hard work to be done before many can just go out and exercise and munch on veg that interfere with my thyroid. My thyroid works better without veg.
Shame even dieticians haven't worked that one out.
I cannot replace my carbs with veg, not as much as any can.

Maybe your thyroid function is interfered with too @Flair .watch those vegetables and research which ones are best for your thyroid and just because drugs have replaced its missing function doesn't mean you shouldn't search for its cause and try and fix it.
It is very very hard work thou, so be warned!

How can I watch my vegatables?

Flair

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
For me personally I can tell from my meter when I eat both carbs and proteins, though clearly the protein figures take longer to show through and show less spikes. instead I end up with a higher general level of blood sugar overall. jason Fungs

If you look at the facebook groups for OMAD (one meal a day) and Dr Jason Fung - intermittent Fasting, they both have lots of people trying to work through stalls in weight through changing the timing of when they eat. I do think that when the type of food is not helping you, then it might be that you have got used to tiny snacks instead. I used to try to eat 800 calories a day by having really tiny meals every time the hunger got too much ( eg two grapes, one tomato, 10 g nuts, tiny piece of cheese) from looking at my meter, I now think that insulin levels go down much better if you eat the same 800 calories in one meal instead. the reason for this is that insulin seems to respond to the fact of food at all, rather than the absolute amounts of it.

I have tested this on others and for example - one boiled sweet, which many of us might have eaten thinking " one can't hurt" is enough to spike a NON DIABETIC sugars and therefore insulin for two hours.

How overweight are you? how close is your waist to 50% of your height? have you got your cholesterol numbers ? each of these is helpful in seeing to what extent you need to lose visceral fat.

My bmi is 32 I am not extreem fat. Just overweight. Cholesterol is 5.6 -/6.5
triglyceriden 1.2 0.8/2
Ldl 3.84 2.5/4.5
Hdl 1.21 1.1/

Is it okay?

Flair

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
A measure of insulin resistance is HOMA-IR which can be found by measuring FBG and insulin (FBI) at the same time and producing a ratio result. I think this means something in the context of diabetes, BG/insulin function but not so much if a different affect is involved to influence the results.

I'm wondering why the BG seems normal and the insulin is high? Wouldn't this indicate something is telling the insulin to go high regardless of what BG does? Is it possible the pancreas responds to other hormones or conditions besides BG to increase insulin?

Seems like weight gain, high insulin, AN are symptoms and not the root cause. Find and fix the root cause (if it's that simple).
That what I am trying. But it very difficult stuff and I do not have help in my country. Any ideas what the root cause can be?

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
triglyceriden 1.2 0.8/2
Ldl 3.84 2.5/4.5
Hdl 1.21 1.1/

Is it okay?
Im no a doctor and I'm not sure what the numbers you are quoting are? there seems to be two sets
are these before and after something?. If your diet is going in the right direction your HDL will be going up not sure from the figures posted whether it is or not :) ?

Flair

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Im no a doctor and I'm not sure what the numbers you are quoting are? there seems to be two sets
are these before and after something?. If your diet is going in the right direction your HDL will be going up not sure from the figures posted whether it is or not :) ?

No it not before something. Doctor just did rum some cholesterol test. I do not check this very often so I can t compare it. But this is most of the time my cholesterol and ldl? Why is itnokay

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
You assume so you don t know if your insuline is okay?,and what can you see in your meter connected to carbs.

When I did 1 year of low carb was in 2015 2016 I did not have An. I did not no why I did feel not good and did not loose weight.
I also did have gestionel diabetis and could not loose the baby weight.

The diet you do is different from the mine. I did 10%carbs 40%fat 50 % protein.
I also did change from 1200 calorie to 800. And try more fat less protein.

But almost no result. When I gave it all up went back to normal food. Then I Got acanthosis nigracans.

And my sleep disorder started in the low carb diet with a lot of pvc. Wich I made me think this is maybe not good for me.
I sleep better on higher bgs but some argue thyroid function is better on low carb so less sleep.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
triglyceriden 1.2 0.8/2
Ldl 3.84 2.5/4.5
Hdl 1.21 1.1/

Is it okay?
Ldl should be lower and hdl should be higher. Are you on a low fat diet by any chance?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
How can I watch my vegatables?
Make sure they are cooked well. Steamed preferrally. Read up on thyroid health diet if you have thyroid concerns.
If not, don't worry. Eat any veg, cooked or raw.

Low fat diets can mix up cholesterol levels upside down like yours but heart health only worries about trigs.

Last edited:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hello

Thank you all for you replies. I do have low vit d. And I do suplement I Got 25000 ie a week. So I don think this will help. I always test if it low I suplements.

About the the hdl stuff to see if there is to much carbs. These are my results in june 2017

My 1.21 normaal 1.1 hdl
1.2 0.8/2 triglyceriden
3.84 2.5/4.5 ldl
5.6 -/6.5 cholesterol.

I think is okay.

The rare disease like insulin typ b has extreem symptoms weight lose An on the body extreem urination. I do not have that.

I did go to see an endocrinoloog I ask for cushings and the did look but I don t have it. The know I have a lot of symptoms like 15%pvc in my heart and suddenly sleep issue. This came a after the weight problems.

So I doubt a dermatoloog can help of will help me.

I am not concentrating on the weight loose alone. I want to prevent diabetis and get my sleep and heart back.

They don t want to do Oggt test because glucose is fine so I am okay.

My weight did improve with fasting not much but some and the An did also improve.

What I read is you also think it not the diabetis but the must be something else. Pcos if that is the problem I will to lower also insulin but aga in how?

I feel I don't have control because it did raise from 16 to 20 insulin. But I did loose someweight wich is strange for me and an did clear a little.

A question

Eating to my meter yes or no? The last week my fasting glucose did improve.

Any way if there is something strange I can solve this and endocrinoloog does not look and my insulin. I did this with a nuropath.

I am confused what now?

Thanks again for all your replies. Excuses for my englisch I am from the netherlands.
I'm my experience the insulin increases to combat liver output.
Do a liver detox which for me is lchf. Great for fatty liver.
Do you know whether you have a fatty liver?

Flair

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I'm my experience the insulin increases to combat liver output.
Do a liver detox which for me is lchf. Great for fatty liver.
Do you know whether you have a fatty liver?

No I am not on a low fat diet at all. Can you explain why you think this?

I do not know if I have a fat liver. I did get some blood liver test. How can you see this?
Alat 21 -/35
Asat 16 --/30

I believe those are liver result.
I say do low carb high fat diet for liver detox?