Post Your Recipes Here!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Re: Recipes.

Lemony lamb chops
Frozen ones from Lidl are a great buy
defrost and put in a single layer onto the bottom of a casserole dish ( I use a slow cooker)
Sprinkle with chopped mint add a little salt.
Drizzle lemon juice over.
Cook from cold Slowly until the top of the meat browns. Hours.
seve with veggies of your choice and possibly a couple of babay new potatoes, which can be scrubbed and put in on top og meat for last half hour cooking.
Meat will fall off bone and the lemon juice and lambfat will combine to make a tasty sauce.
Carbs: Non except in the accompaniments
this is "well done" I don't like my meat pink
This is one to start off before you go out shopping on a Saturday the actual time doesn't matter.

Reactions: 4 people

ally5555

Someone mentioned curry - this is a recipe I use or was made up by husband who is a curry freak!!

Chop up 2 large onions and fry in a little olive oil or ghee.
Add a tablespoon of curry powder and 2-3 large cloves of garlic (chopped). Fry until soft and slightly browned. Add a few tablespoons tomato puree and water and cook on a low heat for a an hour. Gradually add a pot of plain yogurt and cook for about half an hour . Season to taste with salt and add what ever spices you like - i like to add cumin, chilli, garam masalla, coriander etc! or whatever is there. And will also depend on how hot u like it. It is very easy to make and much nicer than those awful cook in sauces!
Then use a hand blender to sort of puree it - it thickens it up so no need to add anything!

I cook chicken seperately or lamb.
marinade the meat in a mix of olive oil, lemon juice, tandoori powder , a little salt and mint if its lamb . Cook slowly and add to the curry.

Reactions: 2 people

BillB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Impolite people, yobbish behaviour, pretentious people.

On another thread I promised Troubr I would post my recipe for tandoori chicken - so here goes.
4 skinless chicken breasts
Juice of 1 lime or lemon
sea salt
175 mls low fat yoghurt
2 tsps paprika
1.5 tsps coriande1.5 tsps cumin
1 tsp ground ginger
Chili powder is not essential, but if you like heat add a quantity according to your taste
0.5 tsp orange food colouring (optional).

Diagonally slash each chicken breast lightly with a sharp knife then pour the lemon juice over them and give each a good pinch of salt. Rub the juice and salt into the breasts, then leave to marinate in the fridge for 1 hour.
Whisk a little salt and the spices into the yoghurt until thoroughly mixed. After the breasts have marinated in the lemon juice for 1 hour add the yoghurt mixture and work it into the meat, then cover and marinate in the fridge, either overnight or for a minimum of 8 hours.
When you're ready to cook, set your oven to its highest temperature and while it's heating up, remove the chicken from the marinade and shake off as much marinade as possible (don't scrape it off, though).
Usually, I line a baking tray with kitchen foil (it saves on cleaning the baking tray afterwards) and lay the breasts about an inch apart. When the oven is up to temperature, slide in the baking tray at the top of the oven and leave to cook for about 20 minutes, but don't turn the breasts over. When the chicken begins to brown in places, it's ready. Serve with cucumber raita or mint raita. Or the following curry sauce:

A small amount of vegetable oil for frying
1 small onion, very finely chopped
1 garlic clove crushed
1.5 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
0.5 tsp turmeric
Chili powder to taste
0.5 tsp ground ginger
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp gram flour
1 tsp salt

Put the oil in a deep frying pan over medium heat and add the garlic and onion, cooking gently until it becomes transparent or very lightly browned. While the onion is cooking, put the cumin, coriander, turmeric, chili and ground ginger into a small dish or cup and mix to a paste with a little cold water. When the onion is ready, add the spice paste and cook, stirring all the time, for a minute or so. You are cooking out the raw taste of the spices by doing this so if it dries out add a little more water. Add the tomato paste and continue cooking and stirring for another minute. Sprinkle the gram flour into the pan and cook for another minute. Add a cupful of water, a little at a time, stirring to amalgamate all the ingredients. Add the salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, adding more water if the sauce becomes too thick.
Hope you like these dishes. They don't raise my BG by any significant amount.
Incidentally, I learnt from an Indian lady that one should never use olive oil for Indian cooking as its taste does not really blend with the spices used and your dish will never taste authentic.

ally5555

Yes i agree ghee is better or even butter . I buy it from an indian supermarket but it is often in large cans and goes off quickly - very rancid!

BillB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Ally , I agree absolutely, but ghee shouldn't go rancid if it's properly made. Madhur Jaffrey says that ghee shouldn't even need refrigeration. On the other hand you could try making it yourself as it is very easy to do and you can make it in smaller quantities. Also, whereas butter will burn at a relatively low temperature, ghee (or clarified butter as it's also known) can be heated to relatively high temperatures without burning. Here's how I make ghee, following Madhur Jaffrey's advice:
Melt a pound of unsalted butter in a saucepan over low heat. Leave it to simmer until the white residue turns to golden particles. This can take anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes and will depend on how much water is in the butter. Strain through several layers of cheesecloth or a large handkerchief. Cool and pour into a clean jar and seal with a lid.
This works every time for me.
Troubr - my son and daughter in law are coming round tomorrow evening for a barbecue and I'm going to try your raspberry whip recipe for dessert. My son is also Type 2 like me so I'll report back on how it went on Monday.

ally5555

just watched a great chinese cooking programm - chinese cooking made easy - mon bb2

Altho some meals have noodles and rice that some may not eat she also cooked meals that could be served with other things - she made beef in oyster sauce served on a bed of spinach. Looked luvly!!

Also on i player until mon ( first prog)

BillB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Troubr - The Raspberry Whip turned out to be a great success. I mixed it in a measuring jug then poured it into small tumblers and set in the fridge to set. I then added another raspberry on the top and decorated with a sprig of mint. Everybody loved it and I shall be making it again. It also occurred to me that you could ring the changes by using blackcurrants or blackberries instead of raspberries. I think it would be a very pretty lavender colour when it set. Or did you already think of this?
Do you have any more recipes to share? :lol:

TROUBR

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Billb
Thanks for the curry recipe, I shall give it at try next weekend. Glad you liked the raspberry whip, the last version I made was kind of a fruits of the forest one - blackcurrant jelly, mullar light cherry yoghurt and blueberries (only because this is what I had around at the time. Worked rather well!

Here is one for the ones willing to have a few carbs, tried it this weekend and is yummy hot or cold (I have even been heating slices up in the microwave!)

BLUEBERRY AND PEAR CAKE

Makes / Serves: 10
Values each serving:
CAL 181 FAT 11g PROTEIN 4g
CHO 17g SAT FAT 2g FIBRE 2g

For the cake:
75g Margarine
150g Self raising flour
2 Eggs
2 Pears, peeled and chopped
2 tsp Baking powder
60g Ground almonds
1 Orange, juice and grated zest
Few drops Almond essence
125g Blueberries
1 tbsp Demerara sugar

Method:

1. Preheat the oven 200 C / 400 F / Mark 6. Lightly grease a deep 20 cm (8 inch) cake tin and line with baking parchment.
2. Put the flour, baking powder, margarine, almonds, eggs, orange zest & juice and almond essence in a large bowl and beat them together thoroughly.
3. Fold in the pears and blueberries into the mixture. Spoon it into the prepared cake tin and sprinkle with Demerara sugar. Bake for 45-60 mins or until firm to the touch.
4. Cool the cake in the tin on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container, it will keep for a week.
Can replace blueberries with raspberries or blackberries

I am in the process of making my own folder of recipes - I enjoy baking with my son so have been looking for things we can make together and still enjoy!

Reactions: lorraine95

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
Re: Recipes. A delicious sauce for pasta or substitutes.

Ingredients.
I red pepper, deseeded and chopped into small squares
I onion chopped quite fine( size to your taste
Some garlic crushed ( you decide how much)
a couple tablespoonssful olive oil
One or 2 olives
I can chopped tomatoes
I glass red wine
salt and pepper totaste.
equipment; wok or large frying pan

Method;
heat oil in wok and cook onion until transparent, but not brown.
cook garlic, but don't burn
add red wine and tomatoes. Cook through add olives and heat
taste and season
this goes well on burgers ( preferably home made) and will freeze.

Reactions: Peckj02

ally5555

i make a quick pasta sauce like that - chuck anything into a can of choipped tomatoes.

I often fry off some bacon or chicken and then add the rest and its a meal in a pan.

You can serve it with pasta if you eat it or some veg.

A meal in 15 minutes and much nicer than a dolmio!

BillB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Happy experience today. We went to do our weekly supermarket shop (in Luxembourg, where we live) and found that the samphire season has started. We bought a pack and I shall be cooking it tomorrow. As it grows on sea cliffs and rocks it can be on the salty side so I soak it for a couple of hours in fresh water, changing the water from time to time, then simply drop it into a pot of boiling unsalted water for about 30 or 40 seconds. It only needs to be blanched. Lovely crunchy texture, great taste of the sea, no sugar, no carbs, no fat. I shall be serving it with the sabrefish fillets we bought.
Does anybody else love samphire? If so, how do you serve it? I follow Rick Stein's recipe but I'm keen to find other ways ways to prepare it.

BillB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Samphire is a green plant that grows on northern European seashores. There is rock samphire, which grows on rocks at the tideline or marsh samphire which grows in salt marshes. Rock samphire is gathered in spring while marsh samphire is available in summer. If you want to try some, ask your fishmonger if he can get some for you. It goes well with sea fish and is easy to prepare, as I explained. I didn't know much about it until I saw a Rick Stein programme where he eulogised it. Try doing a google search for 'samphire recipes'.
Troubr - I tried your recipe for pear and blueberry cake yesterday and it was delicious. Thank you. It reminded me of the recipe for tarte tatin that I prepare occasionally. The recipe calls for apples, but I use pears as a variation, as follows:

Tarte tatin
1 kilo of pears, peeled, cored and chopped
knob of butter
1 tbs corn oil
2-3 tbsps Splenda
1 ten inch round of frozen puff pastry, defrosted.

Preheat oven to 218°C/425°F.
Melt butter with the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat, add the Splenda and when it has dissolved add the pears in several layers. It doesn't matter if the fruit is higher than the pan as the pears will cook down. Leave to cook for 20 to 25 minutes, shaking occasionally to stop the fruit sticking. When the juices are golden brown, place the pan into the oven for 20 minutes or until the pears are beginning to brown. Remove from the oven and lay the pastry over the fruit and tuck into the sides of the pan. Make a couple of slits in the pastry to allow steam to escape and replace in the oven for another 20 minutes until the pastry is cooked.
Remove from the oven and let stand for at least 10 minutes to cool. When you are ready to serve, free the edges of the pastry from the pan, place a plate, preferably with a lip, over the pan and invert. The tart should drop onto the plate. If any pieces of fruit still adhere to the pan, scrape them off and place them back in the tart.
For us diabetics it's one of those dishes we should eat in smaller quantities. But we're entitled to a treat now and then, aren't we?

TROUBR

Type of diabetes
Type 1

I shall have a go with the pear tart tatin at some point. I have never tried Samphire but I think it is local to my Mum and Dad - in fact there is an area near Dover called Samphire Hoe - I am guessing there may be some there (or perhaps they just liked the sound of the name!).

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates

There is clearly a need for party treats for children. I made my suggestions on the "Excluded ..." thread. It seems pretty obvious that in these days of paediatric obesity the diet of children needs to be addressed.

What party recipes do YOU recommend suitable for diabetic children & their friends ????

BillB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Samphire is one of those green vegetables that I actually enjoy. I was brought up in the dark days of British cooking and wartime rationing which put me off cabbage, brussels sprouts, spinach and cauliflower for years. Here's my family's recipe for boiled cabbage: remove the stalk from a cabbage, chop the leaves, drop into a pan of boiling salted water. Boil for an hour, two is better. When it is reduced to a disgusting mush and the whole house has the disgusting reek of sulphur slop it onto a plate. It tastes even more revolting than it smells. It is not recommended that you try this at home :roll:
On the other hand, here is a recipe for mushroom soup that is low in sugar and carbs and is deliciously edible:

1 medium onion, roughly chopped
500 grams white mushrooms, wiped, trimmed and roughly chopped
cooking oil for frying
1 tsp Marmite
water
low fat cream

Heat the oil over a medium heat, then fry the onions gently until translucent. Add the mushrooms, stir and mix and continue cooking for 5 minutes. When the mushrooms have begun to wilt, pour in enough water to cover generously. Bring back to the boil and add the Marmite. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
Leave to cool for 10 to 20 minutes then pour into a liquidiser and give the soup a good whiz. Pour back into the saucepan, adding more water if the consistency is too thick. Check for seasoning and give a good grinding of black pepper. When you serve, add a tablespoon of low fat cream to each plateful.

Hope the tarte tatin is enjoyed by the family.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes

Light lunch
Avocado with tuna
Drain tuna from can, brine canned is probably best
put in a bowl and break up with a fork.
dress liberally with mayonnaise and for added Zing some horseradish sauce
Pile into half an avocado.
Looks nice and tastes better
Carbs about zero.

Reactions: lorraine95

seconchance

Hi all,
Thanks for the very interesting recipes. But I have just been told by my GP that my sugar level is 11.5 and cholesterol level is 8.5. I am to go and do the test again but now I am so worried and wondering what sort of food to eat and not to eat to keep my sugar land cholesterol down. Please someone help! I am terrified :shock: !
cheers
seconchance

BillB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Had my 3-monthly consultation with my endocrinologist this morning and she told me that all the results from my blood test last Friday were perfect - bg, cholesterol, psa, etc., so I'm feeling pretty good. In efforts to keep my intake of carbs within reasonable limits I've put some effort into preparing salads, which can be pretty boring, and making them more interesting and tasty. Here's one I came up with for beetroot. I used to hate beetroot when I was younger because in England it was always served drenched with malt vinegar, which kills the taste of anything, let alone the delicate taste of beetroot, so I buy ready-cooked beetroot.

Beetroot salad (for 4 people)
2 medium-sized beetroot, peeled and cut into 2-3mm slices
300 g feta cheese, crumbled
vinaigrette dressing

Place a slice of beetroot on a salad plate and sprinkle some of the feta on top. Add another slice of beetroot on top and more feta and continue doing this until you have used up half a beetroot per plate. Drizzle a little vinaigrette on top of each stack and serve.
As a variation you can replace the vinaigrette with pesto.

For anybody who's never made vinaigrette I can offer a few tips from my experience. Always make the vinaigrette in a screw top jar. Use good quality extra virgin olive oil. Never, ever use malt vinegar, but white or red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, fruit vinegars, sherry vinegar or lemon or lime juice are all suitable. The best guide to proportions is to use 3 measures of oil to one of vinegar, add a touch of salt and a grind of black pepper, put the lid firmly on the jar and shake to emulsify the oil and vinegar. Taste and add a little more vinegar or oil according to your taste. You can add a pinch of oregano for an Italian style dressing, or a teaspoon of Dijon mustard for a mustard vinaigrette.
Hope this livens up a salad or two for you.