Knowalls rant

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yup you are of course quite correct didn't pay too much attention to the actual weight and what it would mean. An awful lot of rhubarb. :)
Or one could say, a WONDERFUL ABUNDANCE of rhubarb. If one had the patience to freeze it all in separate portions it might last all winter.

L1ncslass

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I got all excited reading this, but have failed to find any tinned rhubarb without light syrup added.

It used to be sold in Morrisons, I buy a catering tin now from cash and carry, but if you can't find it buy frozen it just needs longer cooking, I also grow my own

Cobia

Type of diabetes
LADA
Sorry about this

Sometimes people really annoy me about their knowledge of diabetes and their attitude.

Today myself and my colleagues were having a discussion about dieting. She said about special k being a healthy breakfast and i just mentioned that it might be a slimming breakfast but it isn't good for a diabetic. This colleague then just got on at me.

This colleague thinks she knows everything anyway but the fact that she is never wrong and is very opinionated never listening to others she just got to me today.

Apologies if this is in the wrong section!

Yep run into people who think they know better...... specialk wheatbix ect really hard to handle combined with DP i get a sky rocket..

Sometimes things get a bit nuts here.

Cobia

Type of diabetes
LADA
My question is.

With the rhubarb its normally cooked with sugar to help with the tartiness, is there a better way to cook it?

So far fruit hasnt been the greatest success here.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My question is.

With the rhubarb its normally cooked with sugar to help with the tartiness, is there a better way to cook it?

So far fruit hasnt been the greatest success here.
I cook it without sugar, then eat with a limited amount of full-fat Greek yoghurt (lower in carbs than the fat-free sort) or double cream. The lactose in the dairy products adds a little sweetness without going OTT on carbs.

Cobia

Type of diabetes
LADA
I cook it without sugar, then eat with a limited amount of full-fat Greek yoghurt (lower in carbs than the fat-free sort) or double cream. The lactose in the dairy products adds a little sweetness without going OTT on carbs.
Thanks. It will be good to try it again.

JonM1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Another source for frozen rhubarb nothing added is ocado. Much more expensive than the reported price for Farm Foods, but may help if there's no FF near you. https://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Picard-Chopped-Rhubarb-Frozen/365585011?dnr=y

Non sugar sweeteners work well with rhubarb eg Erythritol based stuff like Truvia (but these have no preservative effect so keep any stewed fruit not eaten near cooking time in the fridge).

Star anise or tarragon are also pretty magnificent stewed with rhubarb.

wendy0804

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sorry about this

Sometimes people really annoy me about their knowledge of diabetes and their attitude.

Today myself and my colleagues were having a discussion about dieting. She said about special k being a healthy breakfast and i just mentioned that it might be a slimming breakfast but it isn't good for a diabetic. This colleague then just got on at me.

This colleague thinks she knows everything anyway but the fact that she is never wrong and is very opinionated never listening to others she just got to me today.

Apologies if this is in the wrong section!

wendy0804

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been Type 1 for 35 years now. I work in an office of 4 people, all of whom are well aware of my diabetes. I got a jar of honey, 3 jars of jam and some chocolate as Christmas presents?????!!

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been Type 1 for 35 years now. I work in an office of 4 people, all of whom are well aware of my diabetes. I got a jar of honey, 3 jars of jam and some chocolate as Christmas presents?????!!

O

oh_dear_me

The recipe doesn’t use coconut flakes! I’ll try and copy the recipe here:
Ingredients
1 serving 4g carbs
instructions
  1. Mix together all the ingredients in a non-stick saucepan over low heat. Stir constantly until you achieve your desired texture.
  2. Serve with coconut milk or cream. Top your porridge with a few fresh or frozen berries and enjoy
I serve mine with double cream and strawberries.
I made this porridge this morning :) I've been trying the 16.8 diet but can't hack it every morning of the week! I've so missed my porridge! It was good! Thank you for the recipe ...oh and I manage to get ground psyllium husk from my local health food shop.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Mind bending. Not a lot else to say. Keep the Faith.

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm lucky that we have loads of rhubarb. We grow it in the garden and allotment. Stew it with some splenda, and freeze it for later use. We also eat it with cream or greek yoghurt. It's very easy to grow so if anyone has the space it's something to stick in a corner somewhere.

PaulAshby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

PaulAshby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Enjoy them, as long as you don't have these things every day once in a while they won't hurt you, that's what insulin's for

Reactions: Dodo