Insulin resistant

Strachan1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I take novarapid and Levemir. Only been diagnosed for 3/4 months. I have noticed a big weight gain around my abdomen and I am constantly hungry!!! Especially for sweet thing. I need to go back to Diabetic Nurse. What will happen next? Anybody know?
I'm going to end up like balloon and don't wAnt to go down that line as I have had eating problems before .

MauzaM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I was started on Novorapid and Lantus in November. I was taking too much novorapid (16Units) at each meal. The insulin is looking for food and my DN and the dietician tell me that is why I was so hungry between meals. I now have to work out exactly how many carbs I’m going to eat and then take a unit of the insulin for every 5g carbs. I’m working with the professionals to get my BG readings down and to work out what my target daily CHO should be. I excercise a couple of days a week to try and reduce the weight gain round my middle and everywhere else. I’m still in the learning stage.

Strachan1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's just a time consuming, slow learning disease. I just don't want to take insulin at all!

MauzaM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Absolutely understand. I tried Excercise and reducing sugars and so on and so on. Sadly, after 15years on tablets my pancreas just doesn’t produce enough insulin to cope with blood glucose. If I can avoid any trace of carbs for a couple of meals then I occasionally get a low bg reading but it’s not practical is it? It is a pain having to inject when you want to eat something.