Holidays and heat

Dabe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What effect does heat have on type2s who test of to Cyprus in may so looking at 25-35c which I usually love but this will be first time as type 2 anyone got any experience

Reactions: dbr10

Sue_Cyprus_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello Dade I was diagnosed type 2 last May went on holiday to Cyprus with in days .It was may and hot but I had no problem with the heat. I tested before and after meals as advised blood sugar wasn't affected by the heat.I drank plenty of water though. Cypriots love grilled meats and fish but do give you chips with everything so I tried to stick to healthy Greek salad. Hope this helps .

Reactions: Dabe and dbr10

Dabe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Foods no problem I've been 3 times I know what I like and where and love the country and the people and I've always avoided the chips cos they taste weird anyway we like to wander 10 to 15 kms a day so all ways prepared with water but thank you about the heat looking forward to some sunshine

Reactions: ickihun

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
We take two, three week holidays in Greece every year and I've not found the heat to be a problem. I know what foods to avoid and like @Sue_Cyprus_ I avoid chips and also rice and pasta etc, but find there are plently of tasty options that won't elevate my BG. I don't test very often as I don't really want to know if the occasional "treat" has pushed up my BG as I doubt if it really matters in the long term, and I'm on holiday and my diabetes can take a back seat for a few days.
A lovely Greek lady we know always presents us with a jar of bitter orange segments in syrup with bergamot and they are just heavenly. It would be impolite to refuse them, so I limit myself to one segment per day, enjoy the anticipation and then the sugary bliss and my wife enjoys seeing the smile spread across my face. Bliss!!!

Reactions: Dabe
D

Deleted member 308541

What effect does heat have on type2s who test of to Cyprus in may so looking at 25-35c which I usually love but this will be first time as type 2 anyone got any experience
As most know on this forum I live in Australia just south of the Tropic of Capricorn in Bundaberg.

I have just done my fasting blood test and the temperature is 26° Celsius at 5:30 am. Max temps today will be around 36° to 38°, it does not seem to effect me.

Reactions: ickihun and Dabe

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Temperature effected me in Spain in Oct - just a few weeks after my T1 diagnosis. I had to halve my doses to stop hypos.

Reactions: Dabe

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Temperature effected me in Spain in Oct - just a few weeks after my T1 diagnosis. I had to halve my doses to stop hypos.
I Have lived I Thailand most of the year tempmp 33--37 everyday all day My View Heat does not Affect BS Readings if you had to halve your dose may have been due to diet change or your taking more exercise than usual on a daily basis. Diet may have seemed similar but maybe they added Less Sugar

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
The heat affects me if my bgs are out of control. Good control normally doesnt last with me on holiday.
I get short tempered so I guess my blood pressure is up as well as bgs.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I Have lived I Thailand most of the year tempmp 33--37 everyday all day My View Heat does not Affect BS Readings if you had to halve your dose may have been due to diet change or your taking more exercise than usual on a daily basis. Diet may have seemed similar but maybe they added Less Sugar
But your body will be acclimatised to heat. If you went on holiday to Norway in the middle of winter it is likely your BG control would suffer.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-and-hot-weather.html

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin