Really Struggling and Feeling Miserable!

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@AdamJames
Last weekend I was wearing a thermal vest, 2 thermal base layers, a long sleeved t-shirt, a heavy sweatshirt, a down jacket and a large fleece on top of that. I had a pair of thermal long johns and jeans on my legs. I wore a hat and gloves, thick walking socks and walking boots and I was still cold! I think the temperature was about 4 degrees so not that cold really! It's the lack of body fat too I think. I've lost 2.5 stone.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m feeling the cold too now. I was always the one who didn’t complain about the cold. Not now I’ve lost 5 stone of insulation! :coldfeet:

That's kind of what I'm assuming about myself, but when I remember back to many years ago, and I'm pretty sure that when I was 3 stone lighter than I am now, I was cold-proof!

Of course one horrible explanation is that it's old age :( Oh what I'd give for a time machine and hindsight.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's kind of what I'm assuming about myself, but when I remember back to many years ago, and I'm pretty sure that when I was 3 stone lighter than I am now, I was cold-proof!

Of course one horrible explanation is that it's old age :( Oh what I'd give for a time machine and hindsight.
I’ve been overweight so long I can’t remember!

Reactions: AdamJames

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@AdamJames
Last weekend I was wearing a thermal vest, 2 thermal base layers, a long sleeved t-shirt, a heavy sweatshirt, a down jacket and a large fleece on top of that. I had a pair of thermal long johns and jeans on my legs. I wore a hat and gloves, thick walking socks and walking boots

I think I'm possibly a pervert. I'd normally expect to pay money to get talked to like that :)

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think I'm possibly a pervert. I'd normally expect to pay money to get talked to like that :)
I can talk dirty too - mud, soil, grubby, filthy, painty, gluey ........

Sorry, I think I've probably derailed this thread

Biggles2

In the past 3 months, I have tried my hardest to change my life style...low carb, little to no sugar, regular exercise. For the first two months, I felt great and really energized. I quickly lost 20 lbs and started tracking everything I ate.
Hi @Randi_B. Welcome to the forum! You have definitely come to the right place to learn how to best manage this disease.:)

If you have not done so already, buy a glucose meter and test, test, test. That way you will find out which foods you can eat and which ones to avoid. Test first thing in the morning (fasting), before meals, and 2 hours after the first bite. Many test before going to bed for the night as well. You can buy the meters and test strips on Amazon.

The meter is an incredibly motivating tool! Without testing, you are essentially winging it and hoping for the best. Testing provides you with the data you need to really manage T2DM well. You will find which foods you can enjoy in abundance, and which ones to avoid. You will be able to enjoy going out for a meal again too! In fact, your friends will probably look at what you are eating in amazement and wonder how you lost weight!:)

Here is a link to Jenny Ruhl's very informative page on testing or "eating to the meter":
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php

Like you and @Rachox I find that since I started LCHF and lost weight I too am very sensitive to the cold these days.:)

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Biggles2

I asked my doctor about testing my blood sugar with a glucometer and he simply told me no. He didn’t give a reason or explanation,
Regarding self-testing, the research has been mixed, therefore many physicians feel that there is no benefit to individuals with T2DM self-monitoring who are not on insulin or other medications that can cause low blood sugar or hypoglycemia. This line of thinking only sees the value in testing for hypoglycemia. It discounts the value of testing for high blood sugar or hyperglycemia. And for Type 2’s (not on insulin or glucose-lowering medication) it is the hyperglycemia that we have to worry about and control.

One thing is certain, if you go to the expense and trouble of testing then it follows that you must use the data you generate to your advantage. Otherwise, testing is a waste of time and money. Most of us do test and find it to be an essential part of our self-management routine.

Here is a link to an article on this topic, and a snippet from the article:

“Self-monitoring of blood glucose (SMBG) is considered an essential component of diabetes self-management. However, research has yielded mixed results regarding the value of SMBG for people with type 2 diabetes who are not treated with insulin. Some studies have shown no benefit, whereas others have demonstrated improved A1C and behavior change linked to SMBG in a diabetes self-management education program that teaches how to use SMBG data.”

http://spectrum.diabetesjournals.org/content/26/2/102

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You might have issues with your thyroid - when I started replacement Thyroxine after a couple of days it was like having my hands and feet in bowls of warm water - that was a long time ago now but I can still remember the lovely feeling. Perhaps mention the possibility to your doctor.
I am wondering why you have stopped caffeine - it is really warming these winter days.

KathyCP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My hands and feet are freezing cold and painful all the time,
HI Randi B, i was diagnosed with t2 4 years ago, but was told that i must have had it for at least 5 years before that. my feet got progressively colder, and last year they were really painful during the winter - i've only lost about a stone in total (i've never been seriously overweight), but i definitely feel the cold more than i used to - probably a combination of carrying less weight, getting older and having diabetes. but the good news is that, having started a lchf diet about 18 months ago, and also adding a little more salt to my diet, this winter my feet have been much, much better. i stayed overnight at a friend's house on thursday - i'd never stayed there before and the bedroom i was in was freezing. i had on thermal socks and wrapped my feet up in a sweater, but they stayed really cold all night - but they weren't painful in the way that they were last winter when they got cold, so i'm cautiously optimistic that keeping my sugar levels as low and stable as i can is actually having a positive effect on my feet.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Thank you all from the bottom of my heart! I have felt so alone and it’s incredibly reassuring to know that I am no longer.

I asked my doctor about testing my blood sugar with a glucometer and he simply told me no. He didn’t give a reason or explanation,

As far as my diet, I am eating very low carb and sugar. I don’t eat meat (except for the occasional piece of chicken or fish) so that presents another issue. I’ve been living off of high protein foods like peanut butter, cheese, nuts, above ground vegetables, etc. I have a big time sweet tooth, but have switched to sugar free varieties. I also cut all caffeine out of my diet. I really miss being able to eat pasta and bread!

I feel like I am working so hard and getting nowhere. I’m still sad, defeated, anxious, and fearful. My physical systems have gotten worse as well. My hands and feet get numb to the point of being terribly painful, I have no energy, constant headaches, my vision is much worse etc.

I called my doctor today and he is going to try to fit me in next week. I really wish I could find a doctor specializing in diabetes or a clinic. I feel as though I’ve been left to fend for myself and that’s such a terrible feeling.

Thank you so much for the warm welcome and for sharing your own stories and experiences!!

Randi
Hi Randi, Although I was type 1 for decades the following is just as valid for Type 2. A friend of mine in Suffolk who is Type 2 has been refused testing strips on prescription. On several occasions at work I noticed that she was hypo. If a diabetic is trying to run a balanced regime, how can they do it without a meter? The reason has to be that your doctor has been given a limited budget. My pharmacy at the local surgery tried to cut back on testing strips when I was at my illest. I wrote several complaints to higher authorities and my MP and got a result. I reckon they only take notice of serious attackers. Sad, but that is what we have come to. I'm surprised you have given up caffeine - they reckon coffee is very good at staving off diabetes! Since I got rid of Type1 4 years ago, I drink a lot of real coffee - hardly ever until then! I hope you get the better of this pernicious condition. Good luck

Last edited:

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Randi, Although I was type 1 for decades the following is just as valid for Type 2. A friend of mine in Suffolk who is Type 2 has been refused testing strips on prescription. On several occasions at work I noticed that she was hypo. If a diabetic is trying to run a balanced regime, how can they do it without a meter? The reason has to be that your doctor has been given a limited budget. My pharmacy at the local surgery tried to cut back on testing strips when I was at my illest. I wrote several complaints to higher authorities and my MP and got a result. I reckon they only take notice of serious attackers. Sad, but that is what we have come to. I'm surprised you have given up caffeine - they reckon coffee is very good at staving off diabetes! Since I got rid of Type1 4 years ago, I drink a lot of real coffee - hardly ever until then! I hope you get the better of this pernicious condition. Good luck

I’m really happy for you you’re cured of T1!

I wish I could have my life back.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Your life has not been taken away, in fact with your diagnosis of pre diabetes and a low HbA1c you should actually be fitter and healthier than you were before.

Reactions: Guzzler

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding

The idea of ever leaving Type 1 from when I was diagnosed in July 1959 was as ridiculous as the moon being made of cheese. Four years ago this actually happened. It still blows my mind. I strongly hope that the light at the end of the tunnel is rapidly reached by ALL diabetics before I leave this life. Thank you for your lovely message. All the very best!

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The idea of ever leaving Type 1 from when I was diagnosed in July 1959 was as ridiculous as the moon being made of cheese. Four years ago this actually happened. It still blows my mind. I strongly hope that the light at the end of the tunnel is rapidly reached by ALL diabetics before I leave this life. Thank you for your lovely message. All the very best!

How can I be cured of T2?

Can I request for an organ transplant?