Will it make a difference if I take 15 minutes to eat a slice of white toast?

Dmcc0

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I know it's carbs, but whole meal doesn't cause spike as white. I lost so much weight so decided to have some carbs, and don't think I will be able to cope with having no carbs at all for the rest of my life. I only shop in Tesco or Sansburys. Nearest Lidl is at least 40 minutes drive.

Lidl protein rolls are awesome, but there are other options if you really can't go without bread. My local Sainsburys stock Hi-Lo bread which is only ~5g carbs per slice. Approx £1 per (small) loaf so not as cheap as some white breads but it does the job if I can't get to Lidl or they are sold out. Haven't seen it in Tesco, but my local Tesco does sell a Low GI bread from a local baker, but unfortunately still sends my BG too high.

Reactions: Red_river_

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lidl protein rolls are awesome, but there are other options if you really can't go without bread. My local Sainsburys stock Hi-Lo bread which is only ~5g carbs per slice. Approx £1 per (small) loaf so not as cheap as some white breads but it does the job if I can't get to Lidl or they are sold out. Haven't seen it in Tesco, but my local Tesco does sell a Low GI bread from a local baker, but unfortunately still sends my BG too high.
Thanks for this info Dmcc0. I will have a look next time I go groceries shopping. Would be great if I could get Hi-Lo bread, that means I could have three slices instead of one! Breakfast sorted!!

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's it! I have decided a meter is the must! Thank you all for kicking my backside I do need that! I will start looking at the meter options and see which one to get!

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for this info Dmcc0. I will have a look next time I go groceries shopping. Would be great if I could get Hi-Lo bread, that means I could have three slices instead of one! Breakfast sorted!!
It doesn’t mean that at all. They may only be 5g a slice but it may still spike you.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's it! I have decided a meter is the must! Thank you all for kicking my backside I do need that! I will start looking at the meter options and see which one to get!

Tee. It’s free and strips are around £7

Dmcc0

Type of diabetes
Type 2

As mentioned in my previous post, the Tee2 from spirit healthcare is free and the test strips are cheaper than most others I've seen.

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product-category/shop/tee2/

I've also got an accu-check performa nano which I bought before I knew about the Tee2. Both functionally similar meters (the Accu-check looks a bit nicer though!) but I use the Tee2 more due to the cheaper test strips. Kept the Accu-check for a back up as I can pick up the test strips in Boots if I ever forget to order for the Tee2

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't agree with you more. Only if hubby thought the same way. He says he won't want me to prick my fingers all the times and get obsessed with it, and I have this fear of needles anyway. Nurse and GP said the same thing. I will persuade him and make him see the point. I wouldn't like to do things he is strongly against though.. :(

I really didn't like fingerprick readings at first. Something about always associating the sight of my own blood with food. But you get used to it. And it opens up a whole new world of *critical* info about food and personal safety. Eating without one is like crossing a road without looking.

I sort of agree with the advice that if you crave a certain 'bad' food like toast, then total avoidance might be better, as having some will only increase the cravings.

However, you are your own master. I second the suggestion of Lidl High Protein rolls. They are not the same as normal bread, but if you add stuff to them they are pretty good.

One 'trick' you might try has actually been researched and gets good results for some people. If you have e.g. scrambled egg (something with lots of protein / fat) and toast, try eating all the scrambled egg first, then the toast. Compare blood sugar results with when you eat it all together. You may find the carbs-last approach works for you.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
don't think I will be able to cope with having no carbs at all for the rest of my life.
That may well not be necessary. I have had type 2 for 6+ years now, and have 50-80g of carbs a day.

I will advise you to self test though, as I found out by self testing that I cant have rice or pasta of any type, but i can have some potato and wholemeal bread. If you self test different meals you will know how much and what sort of carbs you can have, as we are all different.

I self tested initially for about 3 months to find out what works for me, then every six months I do another two weeks of self testing to check that my intake of carbs is still ok.

I dont know of anyone who has no carbs at all, and green veg and salad are great filler-uppers, as is cheese.

Nigelh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Something 'naughty' once in a while wont do any harm.. especially if that day your doing something physical to burn up the glucose.

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
Getting a meter shouldn't be the subject of discussion, like a household expense. I can't imagine that your husband would tell you not to take an aspirin for a headache! And you wouldn't even think to discuss that with him. I'm glad you've made the decision to get one as it's the only way to find out what affects you and what doesn't.

LadyLovely

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You may not actually feel hungry but a craving is also a sign that you need to eat and it’s far easier to eat something low carb that to fight the craving.
The toasty crunch thing is one of the things that’s hardest to deal with, the quests for crunchy are legendary!

I find almonds satisfy the need for a crunchy snack - although managed to dislodge a crown the other day!

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the OP's original question is an interesting one. If you are eating at a rate that your insulin can deal with it might be possible to avoid going into a high BG level. If slice of toast is say 15g of carbs and it takes 15mins to eat then maybe 1g per minute is manageable? It is hypothetical in my case as I probably couldn't make a slice of toast last more than one minute. I have a related theory. I often have a beer in the evening, my theory is that it is better to have it 2 hours after my dinner when my BG has gone back down rather than increase my already elevated level.

O

oh_dear_me

I think you'll be very pleased you have a meter as it really is the only way to see which foods spike you. Through testing I've found I can eat low carb bread (protein roll, Livlife or Hi Lo bread) so have a sandwich most days for lunch now. Breakfast when I have it is often Liz's granola (found in Waitrose or Sainsburys) and if I eat a 50g portion I don't spike at all.
However any pasta and my blood sugars shoot up... and it wouldn't matter if I took 1 minute or 20 minutes to eat it...my body just doesn't like it unfortunately. So test as much as you can to start with as it really helps work out what diet to follow and how many grams of carbs you can tolerate :)

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find almonds satisfy the need for a crunchy snack - although managed to dislodge a crown the other day!
I do keep a little pack of mix nuts in my bag for snack, but a friend ( who's is also diabetic) told me to be careful, as she did the same and her cholesterol elevated. I have high cholesterol too.. :(

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Getting a meter shouldn't be the subject of discussion, like a household expense. I can't imagine that your husband would tell you not to take an aspirin for a headache! And you wouldn't even think to discuss that with him. I'm glad you've made the decision to get one as it's the only way to find out what affects you and what doesn't.
My husband's sister has been a diabetic for 6 years now. She never self test. Only once a year now at GP and she manages to keep he bg level. She still has 2 50/50 toasts in the morning ( as Shen hates whole meal), she smokes, and drinks, and has puddings too. Oh, of course, she is on medication I am not sure what. Even she was surprised when I asked if she used a meter. She thought I might have type 1 I'd I need self test...

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to get through tons of almonds, until I found out that walnuts have half the carbs.

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Something 'naughty' once in a while wont do any harm.. especially if that day your doing something physical to burn up the glucose.
Thanks for this :), but I haven't been able to mange being "naughty " at all I didn't touch any of those gorgeous puddings and ice cream and smoothies during 2 weeks holiday. I also managed not to have any carbs as there were plenty of other choices. I really behaved during Christmas too. No roast potato or chocolate or pie or anything you can call a treat. Still haven't dared to treat myself to a slice of white. Get on a step machine every day after dinner for at least 30 minutes.. I have to have the meter as soon as otherwise I am so blind and just imagining and thinking and not knowing...

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you'll be very pleased you have a meter as it really is the only way to see which foods spike you. Through testing I've found I can eat low carb bread (protein roll, Livlife or Hi Lo bread) so have a sandwich most days for lunch now. Breakfast when I have it is often Liz's granola (found in Waitrose or Sainsburys) and if I eat a 50g portion I don't spike at all.
However any pasta and my blood sugars shoot up... and it wouldn't matter if I took 1 minute or 20 minutes to eat it...my body just doesn't like it unfortunately. So test as much as you can to start with as it really helps work out what diet to follow and how many grams of carbs you can tolerate :)
I am just hoping my body is so used to bread and pasta and rice so won't spike too much. Of course, just hoping and thinking. Will know only when I do my test, once I have got a meter, which is very soon... :)

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That may well not be necessary. I have had type 2 for 6+ years now, and have 50-80g of carbs a day.

I will advise you to self test though, as I found out by self testing that I cant have rice or pasta of any type, but i can have some potato and wholemeal bread. If you self test different meals you will know how much and what sort of carbs you can have, as we are all different.

I self tested initially for about 3 months to find out what works for me, then every six months I do another two weeks of self testing to check that my intake of carbs is still ok.

I dont know of anyone who has no carbs at all, and green veg and salad are great filler-uppers, as is cheese.
Gosh, thinking of pricking fingers for three months 4 times a day... , but I understand that's the way...