Bruising on daughter & bleeding

absnsi

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
My daughter was diagnosed type 1, 5 days ago. She's almost 2. I'm getting better with her eating and we are adjusting ok with it all. My concern is her legs, they are all marked and slightly bruised and rough where she had been getting her insulin. Will this pass? Will her skin get used to this? I also feel I am doing it wrong as she has bled a couple times and always says ouch and lets out a cry and has a wee strop. But with her dad she seems ok with him. Makes me even more nervous to inject her. Hubby thinks I'm maybe too slow with injecting. Hoping this all becomes easier sooner rather than later. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have no experience of injecting young children. However, when I inject myself I sometimes feel the prick of the needle and the insulin sometimes stings. And I do bruise at injection sites sometimes even though I am trying to be careful.

Be sure to use a new needle for every injection so that you have a sharp and sterile injection every time. Talk to your diabetic team about your concerns when you inject your daughter.

Reactions: absnsi

Rox000

hi absni yes those feelings of injecting your daughter resonate well with me and i was a trained nurse for 15yrs who gave injections everyday. Seems different when its your own though.
Can i ask why you inject in her thigh and not her tummy?
I know both sites are fine but the abdomen seems to be the primary site to begin with where best absorption of insulin takes place.

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/your-child-and-diabetes/insulin-and-your-child

hope this information can ease your worries a little...x

absnsi

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi it was the diabetic team that told me to inject the thighs or part of her bum. No one has mentioned the tummy. Today she was fighting me with it which makes it even harder. Beginning to think I'm doing it wrong. Im going to have to ask someone to come out to watch what I am doing. Thanks for all the replies.

Rox000

hey probably very wise...at least your mind will be at ease knowing youre doing everything right if someone experienced is observing you...shes only 2 and thats a challenge in itself...
wondering why they didnt go through this with you before you came home with her...would have saved a lot of anxiety on your part.
Hope things settle down with your little one very soon ...let me know how you get on x

absnsi

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Checked with the diabetic team and Been told I'm doing it correctly. Think she is just working herself up with it. Been trying to talk her through it and get her as calm as possible before we do it. Seeing some improvement, still tempers and lashing out before hand but manages to calm a bit before I go for it.
They went through so much in the hospital we were in for 3 days and it was like a blur. They said we were doing everything correct and had us speak to a dietitian etc then sent us on our way. I hope things get easier in time and she settles down. Thanks for replying

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Hi
Just found your post and wanted to wish you well.
Having to inject a little one at that age is awful for you.
My sister was diagnosed aged 3 and me aged 6 and she is now 54 and me 50 this year.
Needles were twice the size back then and bottoms and legs were the order of the day.
If you tried to inject your little one in the stomach then I'm guessing she would be less than impressed.
My sister has never used her stomach to this day whereas I do.

All the very best to you and your little girl.

Tony

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@absnsi I've been thinking about the problem of an unwilling injection recipient. Could you investigate buying a topical anesthetic cream to numb a small area before performing the injection. Numbing creams are often available over-the-counter at pharmacies.

Or, if you were to inject on her bottom or just above the nappy area, your daughter would not see the injection coming. Does that option sound feasible?

Reactions: EllieM

absnsi

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
@absnsi I've been thinking about the problem of an unwilling injection recipient. Could you investigate buying a topical anesthetic cream to numb a small area before performing the injection. Numbing creams are often available over-the-counter at pharmacies.

Or, if you were to inject on her bottom or just above the nappy area, your daughter would not see the injection coming. Does that option sound feasible?
I wasn't sure if I'd be allowed to put things on the area that was going to be injected. I wasn't even sure how moisturizer would be. Just wasn't sure it it would interact with it? Not sure if that sounds daft or not lol. They suggested ice for a couple mins but tbh a two year doesn't like ice on the leg lol.
I've actually started trying to explain to her if she gets this she can then eat her lunch/dinner etc (she's still very hungry). Seems to bring her round and I've actually started saying look you can watch if you want and she seems to settle. She's still fighting to beging but when I sit her on my knee she calms. I think it may be the thought of it more than anything. Hopefully by next week we will be progressing good.

absnsi

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
Just found your post and wanted to wish you well.
Having to inject a little one at that age is awful for you.
My sister was diagnosed aged 3 and me aged 6 and she is now 54 and me 50 this year.
Needles were twice the size back then and bottoms and legs were the order of the day.
If you tried to inject your little one in the stomach then I'm guessing she would be less than impressed.
My sister has never used her stomach to this day whereas I do.

All the very best to you and your little girl.

Tony
Hi Tony. Thank you. I can't imagine having to use bigger needles, so hats off to you. Must have been difficult.
I don't even think I could get a decent bit of skin on her tummy to do it safely as her tummy is actually swollen. Not sure if it's her age or the fact she's eating probably far more than she should since her body doesn't feel full after eating atm. They said the eating and drinking will settle once her blood sugars are lower. Hopefully sooner rather than later. All the best and Thanks again

Rox000

hey nice to hear your daughter is a little more settled..
I was thinking about the whole process of what your daughter may perceive just before the injection happens..maybe bad thoughts
You obviously know her the best ...so maybe a happy positive social story about the injection itself how it will help her ...theres so many ways you could tell it...as long as its positive alll the way...
A special toy of hers you could make a fuss of and pretend to inject it ...lol
Youd be suprised at how much children at this age respond to stories...especially about them and their fav toys...
Worth a shot mum ...save the ice the cream takes a while to numb but reinforcing the social story throughout the day may see her a little more calmer before her injection....x good luck

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Hello again
Just typethinking as I do sometimes........

Does your daughter look at the needle as you inject her?
If so then get her to lay on her front and inject in her bottom.
Theres more fat there than anywhere else so the fact she doesn't see it may help.
This is just a thought so please don't think I'm trying to insult your intelligence.
I'm 50 this year and still look away when the vampires stick the needle in to take blood at my local surgery!

Wishing you a top weekend

Tony

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@absnsi

Another thought. How about pretending to inject one of her toys as well? Perhaps her teddy or dolly needs an injection too!

absnsi

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for all the replies. We have been giving lots of praise after she gets the injection which she seems happy about.

We were given a wee diabetic teddy at the hospital which she has been pretending to inject today. She also does her favourite peppa pig toy too.

She sits on my knee and we swap sides each time working from the top to bottom of thigh. I've tried doing it in a way that she doesn't have to look but she got worse it's like she had to see where I was going with it. I'm also worried when it comes to injecting her bum area, is there only certain points I can inject? Do inject the part closest to the thigh? I have the a visit next week again with the diabetic team so hopefully maybe one of them can show me where. Thanks again.

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Again, talk to the diabetic team, who know your daughter, about where to inject in to the buttocks. I inject in any part that has a covering of fat whether it be the bit I sit on or higher up!