Looking for a supermarket dessert that is the dessert equivalent of the Lidl High Protein

tubamanandy

Can anyone recommend a dessert that can be purchased in most supermarkets that isn't too high on carbs/sugar ? (PS. I really dont like yoghurt)

What I'm really looking for is the dessert equivalent of the Lidl High Protein Roll

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oppo ice cream 3.1 g carb and 37 cals per scoop - got mine from Sainsbury’s I’ve got vanilla but they have 2 other flavours with a bit more carb. It’s lovely and I find one scoop of vanilla - with a bit of high percentage cocoa choc grated into it - dosent put up my sugars. Plus it’s creamy yum worth a try if you like ice cream

Reactions: AdamJames

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can anyone recommend a dessert that can be purchased in most supermarkets that isn't too high on carbs/sugar ? (PS. I really dont like yoghurt)

What I'm really looking for is the dessert equivalent of the Lidl High Protein Roll

I can only think of Hartley's Jelly. Practically no carbs in some of them. Artificial sweeteners. I don't like them, however. Bought lots of flavours once.

Also, not really a dessert, but of course their is 85% cocoa chocolate. It can be as low as 18g carbs per 100g, so a decent size portion (25g) can be 4.5g carbs.

ixi1429

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried the Arla Blueberry Quark desert - quite enjoyable/ 6.5g carbs per 100g. I think I picked this up in Sainsbury's so it is probably available in other superstores

Reactions: AdamJames

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
A no sugar jelly mix. Just make your own jelly desert with added low carb berries such as raspberries and/or strawberries and top with double cream.
Or, if you have the time and inclination make your own low carb, no sugar, ice cream. It's not difficult and takes a little time, but it's nice to be able to tuck into a really sweet tasting treat knowing it won't push one's BG up.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Best to make your own Keto low carb cakes, ice cream, chocolates etc.

Just made a homemade low carb carrot cake and it’s delicious!

Lots of recipes on the diet doctor website and YouTube!

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes/desserts

Reactions: Anfalas

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found desserts were the simplest part of a LC diet to deal with, I just don't have them, no trying to find low carb versions, just a simple rule..... no thanks. I don't miss them if I don't see anyone else eating them. If I am in a restaurant and everyone else is having desserts I have cheese.

tubamanandy

Oppo ice cream 3.1 g carb and 37 cals per scoop - got mine from Sainsbury’s I’ve got vanilla but they have 2 other flavours with a bit more carb. It’s lovely and I find one scoop of vanilla - with a bit of high percentage cocoa choc grated into it - dosent put up my sugars. Plus it’s creamy yum worth a try if you like ice cream

Thanks for that one - just what I was looking for

Incyb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Whey Hey high protein ice cream from Tesco is very low carb. It's sweetened with xylitol.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I second the votes for Oppo ice cream, Hartleys 10 cal jellies and strawberries and cream!

Reactions: shelley262

Gannet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Showbiz
A no sugar jelly mix. Just make your own jelly desert with added low carb berries such as raspberries and/or strawberries and top with double cream.
Or, if you have the time and inclination make your own low carb, no sugar, ice cream. It's not difficult and takes a little time, but it's nice to be able to tuck into a really sweet tasting treat knowing it won't push one's BG up.

I pour the made-up jelly over frozen berries. Sets in minutes.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also prefer DIY desserts. Berries with cream, creme fraiche or yoghurt, DIY gooseberry fool in season, cranberries cooked with orange juice, zest & spices with yoghurt in winter. Blackberry and apple baked with a little cinnamon and butter, with or without a chocolate hazelnut topping... Cream and/or full fat cream cheese whipped up with various additions and flavours - coffee and walnuts, cocoa with orange or peppermint essence, or some toasted chopped hazelnuts, or plain with vanilla, coconut cream with lime and ginger,... DIY low carb cheesecake, shortcake, or muffins with or without various flavourings and additions. e.g. blueberries or above cranberry mix, or as mini coffee & walnut cakes or carrot cakes with pecans and a little grated carrot. Or simply a piece or 2 of high percentage dark choccolate to finishyour meal off with.

Definitely Oppo (currently on offer again at Waitrose), current favourite is the salted caramel - for a special treat with Sukrin gold syrup & salted pecans , and although more expensive you can buy all 4 flavours in mini single portion size tubs too. And although I've not done this: frozen berries and thick cream can be whizzed up for instant fruity ice cream!

Most of them are quick and easy to make just needing a little low carb creativity, and IMO much better low carb wise than shop bought desserts. :p

Robbity

choc_cheesecake.jpg low_carb_pud.png

Gannet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Showbiz
Claudi and Fin frozen yoghurt mini lollies. Under 4g carbs each. Available at Sainsbury's and Waitrose.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Homemade ice cream. Invested in an ice cream maker and planted a strawberry bed and raspberries. Plenty of cream and sweetner of choice. Also cheesecake with flaxseed base and cream cheese and Fage mix topping with choice of berries. Alldayidreamaboutfood chocolate cake with 100% chocolate ganache filling/topping - my birthday treat every June doesn't spike me!