Leg problems when taking metformin

Eliseanne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Has anyone experienced leg/foot problems when taking metformin? I was diagnosed end November and am now taking 2 X 850 pills a day increasing to 3 by the end of this month. My legs feel heavy with calf muscles feeling strained and uncomfortable. I have numbness on the soles of my feet. I am exercising fast walking 30 mins a day and am not overweight. Didn't feel like this before taking this medication. Particularly strange feeling in the morning when I wake up. Any ideas?

Ajax

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It might be an idea to speak to a community pharmacist about this ASAP ..please also consider making an appointment to speak to your physician.

Although I've taken Metformin for 11+ years ..I'm not tempted to proffer an ✻instant opinion✻ about the issues listed in the OP ..no value.

Reactions: dbr10

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin can result in neuropathy, usually as a result of vitamin B12 deficiency. I stopped taking metformin after getting pins and needles sensations in my hands.

A low carb diet is much more effective in lowering blood sugars than taking metformin. Get a glucose meter to find out which foods spike your blood sugars.

Muscle pain is also common with people taking statins.

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A build up of Lactic Acid is a possible side effect of Metformin. Lactic Acidosis symptoms include muscle pain. This can be fatal, so symptoms need to be checked. Metformin is not recommended if you have kidney or liver problems.

buffyiscool

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
After a few weeks on Metformin I could not walk without sticks - but as I could not go for walks it didn't matter all that much. It went away a few months after I stopped taking the tablets and I got back to walking and now I go out just for the pleasure of being outside.